Front end conversion - was yours worth it ??

Renevator

I searched all over the forum and I didn't find the answer so I ask here:

Can VTR/Firestorm/Friehawk fork legs be mounted on 3rd gen fork? I would say yes since the manual states fork is the same from 93 (last year for 3rd Gen) to 97 (4th Gen). Mine is from 1993.

I believe for my restoration, I'll go this route with revalved/properly set internals and a better rear shock. I like Racetech but Maxton has good reviews here and from France, I will be easier (and also cheaper) to get something from UK than from the US (I'm thinking Jamie Daugherty here).

I like USD forks but this seems to be expensive to buy (considering it's used and needs a rebuild anyway) and there's so many stuff to adjust or relocate that in the end, if I need one, I better buy a CBR 600 ;-)

Thanks for your answer(s).

• 4 months later...
On 7/4/2014 at 9:16 PM, HighSideNZ said:

Thought I'd add my R1 conversion to the mix.

Details are here:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/77541-another-r1-front-end-conversion/

As I outlined in the post specifically about the conversion, I'm in complete agreement with the major change to the bikes handling.

It has built greater confidence and as someone else on this post has stated, with greater confidence comes better safety margins.

Must add that I've got an Ohlins on the rear as well.

I would do it again in a flash. Well worth it.

Here's a pic of the finished product.

Cheers

Phil

post-25941-0-12081300-1404465318.jpg

I was looking for this post Phil mentioned 'Another R1 Front End Conversion' however a search does not find it or anything like it :( I guess this was lost when the forum software was upgraded a while back :(

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Hello All, 

I’m after a late model R1 front end (2008-now) to graft onto my 5th gen. Based in England. 

Have posted under classifieds. 

Already have the 6 pot calipers and wheel - now need the rest (triples, rotors, axle and possibly brake master?). 

Lost some money on a set off eBay that we’re destroyed internally. 

Some reasonable eBay listings in US but shipping and taxes make it impossible. 

Can anyone help? Please message if you can. 

Thanks in advance, 

Stray 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2017 at 4:09 AM, Stray said:

Hello All, 

I’m after a late model R1 front end (2008-now) to graft onto my 5th gen. Based in England. 

Have posted under classifieds. 

Already have the 6 pot calipers and wheel - now need the rest (triples, rotors, axle and possibly brake master?). 

Lost some money on a set off eBay that we’re destroyed internally. 

Some reasonable eBay listings in US but shipping and taxes make it impossible. 

Can anyone help? Please message if you can. 

Thanks in advance, 

Stray 

Aren't you just going to use the typical CBR929 upper and RC51 Lower triple trees?

In my case where I swapped out the stock 5th gen lowers to Super hawks doing the de link.  I can say whole heartily the best up grade right along with the rear shock fix one can do IMO.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 02/01/2018 at 7:09 PM, CandyRedRC46 said:

Aren't you just going to use the typical CBR929 upper and RC51 Lower triple trees?

There are are a few threads on here where R1 triples have been used successfully. Was going to go that route because it’s always best to match up all the components in the swap. Piecing it together would have been a pain as CBR triples have different fork gap to R1 and I’d be messing about with spacers to make wheel/calipers/axle/rotors fit. 

But now change of plans - just picked up some Kawasaki ZX6R 2007 radial forks. They were a steal so going to try fitting these. Just need to gather the other bits now (calipers, rotors, triples etc.). 

There are Suzuki, Yam and CBR front ends all over the place but mine might be the first Kwak! 

Stray

12 hours ago, Stray said:

There are are a few threads on here where R1 triples have been used successfully. Was going to go that route because it’s always best to match up all the components in the swap. Piecing it together would have been a pain as CBR triples have different fork gap to R1 and I’d be messing about with spacers to make wheel/calipers/axle/rotors fit. 

But now change of plans - just picked up some Kawasaki ZX6R 2007 radial forks. They were a steal so going to try fitting these. Just need to gather the other bits now (calipers, rotors, triples etc.). 

There are Suzuki, Yam and CBR front ends all over the place but mine might be the first Kwak! 

Stray

So you would rather piece together something on the steering stem/bearings, than add disc and axle spacers?

• Member Contributer
On 04/01/2018 at 1:47 PM, CandyRedRC46 said:

So you would rather piece together something on the steering stem/bearings, than add disc and axle spacers?

No, I’m going to try fit the complete ZX6R font on. It’s probably easier to change stem bearings and keep everything else from the same donor than mess about with spacers everywhere. 

Oddly enough, calipers are pretty interchangeable among Japanese radial bikes (most have 108mm centres I believe, whereas European bikes have 100mm).

Everything else is a nightmare to swap, primarily because of rotor spacing, bolt pattern and size. 

Got parts coming in bits-and-pieces as couldn’t afford to buy a complete front end in one hit, which would have been the preferred option. 

Because I wanted matching wheels, I have  05 gixxer 600 yokes/stem forks and calipers Gixxer/hayabusa 320mm rotors and an 848 front wheel. With a spacer or 2.

I want to upgrade to Yamaha monoblock calipers, or newer zx10 calipers.

17 hours ago, Stray said:

No, I’m going to try fit the complete ZX6R font on. It’s probably easier to change stem bearings and keep everything else from the same donor than mess about with spacers everywhere. 

Oddly enough, calipers are pretty interchangeable among Japanese radial bikes (most have 108mm centres I believe, whereas European bikes have 100mm).

Everything else is a nightmare to swap, primarily because of rotor spacing, bolt pattern and size. 

Got parts coming in bits-and-pieces as couldn’t afford to buy a complete front end in one hit, which would have been the preferred option. 

I think you are exaggerating the spacer "mess", while severely down playing critical specs like fork length/bearing sizing/steering stem length/ride height/fork spacing/offset/rake/trail/etc.

There is a reason most people stick with the tried and true cbr929 upper and cbr929 or rc51 sp1 lower triple trees.

14 hours ago, keef said:

Because I wanted matching wheels, I have  05 gixxer 600 yokes/stem forks and calipers Gixxer/hayabusa 320mm rotors and an 848 front wheel. With a spacer or 2.

I want to upgrade to Yamaha monoblock calipers, or newer zx10 calipers.

Though lacking that sweet brembo emblem, the Yamaha calipers are phenomenal.

• Member Contributer
On 11/01/2018 at 3:24 PM, CandyRedRC46 said:

Though lacking that sweet brembo emblem, the Yamaha calipers are phenomenal.

I’ve got them on my other bike and they’re awesome. 

Legend is they are an old Brembo design from when Yamaha bought a stake in the firm. 

• Member Contributer
On 11/01/2018 at 3:22 PM, CandyRedRC46 said:

I think you are exaggerating the spacer "mess", while severely down playing critical specs like fork length/bearing sizing/steering stem length/ride height/fork spacing/offset/rake/trail/etc.

There is a reason most people stick with the tried and true cbr929 upper and cbr929 or rc51 sp1 lower triple trees.

Guess I’ll find out when I get there but you have to agree that nearly every kind of front end has been put on a VFR and no one has fallen off one yet (due to the front end, that is). 

If there’s something wrong with the Kawa ZX6R setup please let me know. 

There are RC51s, CBR600F4i, CBR600RRs, Suzuki TLs, GSXRs, R1s (plenty, with R1 yokes) and Hayabusas to name a few. That’s just the ones I’ve read about. I bet there are loads more. 

I’ve looked into rake and trail and don’t perceive any great difficulties there. After all a similar offset to the Kawasaki yokes has been used in other super sport conversions with no ill effects. 

Not too concerned about ride height because forks are long enough for my planned superbike bars (forks will slide down clamp further than on ZX6R), so will be close to stock. 

Spacers scare me on the axle. Machine them just a gnat’s hair out they will play merry hell with the bearings at high speed. Not nearly as much strain on steering stem. Anyway, I may press the VFR stem into the Kawa yokes just to make sure. 

I’m not an expert but get the feeling a lot of folks worry too much about rake/trail/ride height changes. In my younger days we used to drop the forks up to 3 inches through the clamps to quicken up steering on old race bikes. It also made forks stiffer (shorter forks flex less). Stem angle remains the same as that is down to headstock (although dropping forks does steepen the angle a small amount).

Never had a problem then and don’t anticipate one now, but I’ve been wrong before. If you think my setup is flawed please let me know. I’d appreciate the input.  

Will see when I get there I guess. 

Stray

• Member Contributer

While not exactly entirely R1, the front end on my 5th gen is a combination of R1 yokes, FZ1 forks / brakes /wheel and 50mm fork extensions to enable me to use VFR1200 clip ons. I'm happy with the result! :-)

2016-09-04 18.00.03.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2018 at 10:07 AM, shaynus said:

While not exactly entirely R1, the front end on my 5th gen is a combination of R1 yokes, FZ1 forks / brakes /wheel and 50mm fork extensions to enable me to use VFR1200 clip ons. I'm happy with the result! :-)

2016-09-04 18.00.03.jpg

Thats pretty cool!

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, keef said:

Hey Shaynus, where'd you get the fork extensions from?

http://www.extremecreations.com.au

From your neck of the woods keef. They do a range of extensions for Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, etc, forks.

I originally ordered a set to suit the '99 R1 forks I was going to use, then came across the FZ1 forks (which look nicer to my eyes, being all black). Had to get a new lower (small) extension piece made as the R1 have a different size thread in the bottom of them 10mm vs 12mm or something like that). They are only available in a black finish.

I knew ben made some, was wondering if there was another lead. 

He does a set for an MT09 which I’d love to get- it would make it feel like a motard. 

• 10 months later...
On 1/25/2012 at 6:14 AM, FinnRC36 said:

I am very happy with my VTR forks and '99 CBR900RR (same as RC51/F4i/CBR929) brakes. I did the fork valving myself without any prior experience and got lucky as they feel very good. Couldn't you use the Maxton internals in the VTR forks? I think they would switch over very easily.

Just to clarify this, or indeed correct it, although the calliper fitment is the same on all the above, they are not all the same.

The CBR900RRW/X and the SP-1 (early RC51) all have 32 and 34mm pistons. The later RC51 (SP-2) and 954 'Blade use 30 and 32 pistons (same as later radial callipers) and the CBR929 (CBR900RRY/1) has 30 and 34 pistons. The differences are not huge, but they are different.

• Member Contributer
On 1/7/2019 at 2:56 PM, MiniCarver said:

Now that 8th gen parts are becoming more and more available via ebay. I was able to do all 2014 suspension/wheel/rotors with Brembo monoblocks.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20181230140200759_COVER.jpg

Hey MiniCarver --- I think you may have the near ultimate VFR there with the 6th based and 5th engine plus 8th wheels and monoblocks.. 

>>>>Wow, just frick'n WOW! --- If I get your way, I would love to see it in person. 

You Carvers blow me away.. :beer:

• Like 1