Should Honda derestrict the vfr1200?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Derestict 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear?

• DO NOT - leave as is.
    • DO - all VFR1200's
    • DO - only the VFR1200F NOT the DTC
    • DO - with real traction control

• Member Contributer

Regatillo: The connectors are indeed buried behind the frame. It's a very tight fit to get your fingers in there. The good news is the connectors are attached to the frame with a removable bracket, so first unhook the bracket - this will allow the connectors to move and make it much easier to disconnect them (I didn't figure that out until busting my knuckles for a hour..)

Good luck.

• 2 months later...
Guest Manwell

You think if we started a signature list to get Honda to unrestricted 1&2 gear they might listen ?

I certainly hope so....

I received a call from the Technical guy at Honda Australia after numerous emails to a sheila in customer relations who was bloody hopeless. He said that they hadn't had any complaints about the first and second gear issue, which might be correct. Most Aussies are pretty apathetic when it comes to this sort of crap.

I also believe that complaints made to the dealer are probably not as effective as complaints direct to Head Office. If I wasn't getting the right response from the blokes in Honda Australia, I was going to hit Head Office in Japan with this shit and see what they say. The petition idea is good, as well as the idea about calling Head Office. Both will work if we get the numbers. I note that the poll on this thread has only had about 200 responses. If we can get 1000, then we might be heard. Depends on how many were sold.

• Member Contributer

There is a plastic shield that separates the wiring harness from outside, right next to the shift shaft behind and above the frame rail ....couple of screws and some body English will remove the plastic cover, then the harness is safety attached to the rail....as soon as the plastic cover is out, it's a 2 minute job, but getting it off and back on took me awhile....be careful, it's a plastic piece and could snap...the rest is a no brainer...

• 1 month later...
Guest Manwell

Can any shed some light on this please? Everybody says it is a 5 minutes job and I have been half an hour trying to reach the harness unsuccessfully. i feel like a dumb. help me please!

I've just fitted mine, and I can advise that it is indeed a 5 minute job or less. Once you know what to do.

First, as instructed by Bazzaz, it is on the left side above the shift mechanism. Lay down on a mat with a torch and you will see a black connector partially obscured by a plastic shield. There is no need to remove the shield or unclip the connector from it's position as posted previously.

On the connector there is a tab toward the back of the bike, push this down to release the FRONT half of the connector. Pull forward on the FRONT half of the connector as the tab is depressed - not the BACK half with the tab on it. This back half is attached to the bike and will not move. Then just connect the Bazzaz in line and zip tie it to the handiest spot you can find. Job Done.

• Member Contributer

I ended up removing the black ABS cover and the shift linkage just so I had some room, after that 2-3 minutes and its done.....I just couldn't see the harness with the cover in the way....and the cover wouldn't come off with the linkage still connected.

I ended up removing the black ABS cover and the shift linkage just so I had some room, after that 2-3 minutes and its done.....I just couldn't see the harness with the cover in the way....and the cover wouldn't come off with the linkage still connected.

was it worth it ???? :happy:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

was it worth it ???? :happy:

ISHARK,

yes, most seriously!!! The re-flash is another great plan, but so far not one 12' VFR rider in the US has had any luck with this. Sending my CPU off for 2 months is just not an option for me. 60 bucks, 15 minutes....done. the 3rd gear indicator thing is an issue for some, I understand...so, if you can live with it while your in 1st or 2nd gear, no biggie.

The difference for the bike is phenominal! i have a PCV (fixed the throttle) and the BZAAZ....157 at the rear, 89 FT/TQ, the speed limitations in the ECU, so far for me have not come into play, even on a track day...160 MPH is fast enough for me, if I ever had the guts to wind her up that much anyway.

• Like 1

Guest blakebird

I don't have any issues with the fueling on my '12, but the other day I was wondering if the low end in the first two gears could be more robust or 'immediate'.... and since the Z Bomb is cheap enough to try, I got one new on ebay for $55.

I went thru the same thing on my ZX-14....wondering what the hubbub was about, and picked up a used Ivan's TRE for $25. Worked ok, was not what I would call earthshaking - but I left it on the bike for 27,000 miles.....taking it off and selling it before I traded the bike in.

Figure I'll do the same here.... when it thaws, I'll put a few long days in with it stock and focus my attention on first and second gear oomph from low throttle settings.

Then I'll put it on and see if it's all that. Gear indicators are fluff IMO, I never pay attention to them ....so that's a non-issue.

Edited by blakebird

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

All I can say, and Don Guhl confirmed this, the Belgian version of the bike sucks.

It has a major throttle delay, what a z-bomb can't fix.

It doesn't open more then 2/3th of the throttle at all, because of the 115HP restriction, z-bomb can't fix this either.

It doesn't allow you to remove the exhaust-servo, z-bomb doesn't fix this either.

It won't allow you to go over 250KM/H, z-bomb can't fix this.

It has a limit of 8000rpm in 1st and 2nd, that a z-bomb can fix....but for Belgium it's useless because the throttle won't open further then 2/3th anyway in ALL gears!

Don't know about other versions, but on a Belgian restricted bike it's a waste of money, people are better of with a VFR800 instead, as it's faster and has the same top speed, also uses a lot less petrol.

A few months back a Belgian magazine (Motor & Toerisme) tested both bikes together and their conclusion was that the VFR1200 was not worth it's "promised" reputation as the 800 could keep up easily and even pass it.

I'm sorry, but those limitations can not be fixed with a z-bomb as they are baked in the ECU, either replace the ECU or get it flashed by Don.

I do speak about the Belgian version only, as e.g. the Dutch version doesn't have these absurd restrictions and the z-bomb could make a big difference.

I did talk to my dealer about this, and he also told me the Belgian restricted version sucks and only a changed ECU will bring the bike to life.

My dealer is awaiting my Don-flash-ECU to see if it's even better then a full-power-BE(HISS)-ECU....judging on what Don promised, it will probably be a lot better.

As my ECU is flying at the moment over the ocean towards me, I expect to be able to tell how much the Don-flash did.....and Don IS cheap for the work he does compared to a z-bomb.

• Member Contributer

the z bomb was never intended to do more than apply the third gear map to 1st and 2nd gears...it was a quick fix that does a good job

But it's very expensive for just 3 wires to do the same. :cool:

the z bomb was never intended to do more than apply the third gear map to 1st and 2nd gears...it was a quick fix that does a good job

But it's very expensive for just 3 wires to do the same. :cool:

you're paying to know it was done right, water proof, with the proper connectors (which i recall Bazzaz saying were hard to obtain)

i saw it as a cheap option to get it right without cutting wires. is i told to don, 1 and 2 asre verry shitty till 5.5rpm. then the party starts...

verry clear in 3th there is much more power at 3.5rpm than there is in 2nd at 5.5...

i m verry curious what don has to tell bout my ecu but i think we should clearely get a difference between the 173 and 115HP here in BE!!!

where i think my bike(173Hp) starts to pull i hear from other people(115Hp) there is where it stops... waiting for my Zbomb....

Fasty of course your bike is restricted in 3rd gear. It is restricted in all 6 gears if it only makes 115 HP due to restrictions in Belgium. The 1st & 2nd gear restrictions as well as the speed limiter on US & English bikes are restricted by using the TBW to restrict how far open the throttle plates open. I assume this is also the way they restrict your bike to 115 HP.

• Member Contributer

Fasty of course your bike is restricted in 3rd gear. It is restricted in all 6 gears if it only makes 115 HP due to restrictions in Belgium. The 1st & 2nd gear restrictions as well as the speed limiter on US & English bikes are restricted by using the TBW to restrict how far open the throttle plates open. I assume this is also the way they restrict your bike to 115 HP.

He can have the Belgian full-power version, as there are 2 versions.

Has to do with taxes during registration.

However, instead of opening only 2/3th his may open 100%, but the 8000rpm in 1/2 is still there, as well as the poor throttle-response.

And on top a very poor fuel-mapping that makes the bike run terrible.

Don has removed all this, as such the bike should run a lot better, the 115HP restricted should have an enormous gain and handling.

The unrestricted Belgian bike should gain a lot of handling, and a lot of gain in 1/2 gears as well in 5/6th.

In total due to the new fuel-map, it should gain overall.

However, I'm speculating at the moment as my ECU hasn't come back from Don yet, should be here tomorrow.

After that I can tell for sure how much Don did or didn't do.

My expectations are set very high. As are those of my dealer who is following this all too.

• 2 weeks later...