1. 1. Derestict 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear?

• DO NOT - leave as is.
    • DO - all VFR1200's
    • DO - only the VFR1200F NOT the DTC
    • DO - with real traction control

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

So I've depleted my motorcycle fund with a trip to the track at Barber Motorsports and wasn't able to reflash the ECU this winter. So I bought a Z-Bomb.

As soon as I have time to take a last refresher ride (I'm in Chicago and had 3 rides in February!) - the snow is thick right now - I will go for a decent local ride, then add the z-bomb and take the identical ride to compare.

Will report once installed and tested for those who are still on the stock ECU without Z-Bomb.

- Dan

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Will try to install tonight. Rode a bunch over the weekend as a baseline, hope to report after the rain ends here in Chicagoland.

-Dan 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

JEEZ! Slow going. Installed last night late, but rain this morning so I didn't ride to work. Hopefully I'll get a ride in tonight.

Installation was OK, a little difficult figuring out how to unhook the original connectors. So I attached the Z-Bomb's connectors to eachother and made sure I understood which release needed to be pushed. Made the difference.

The original connectors had plenty of slack to pull them out from the piece of plastic protecting them, and it was easy to tuck everything else back in over the plastic piece.

Looking forward to riding it!!!!

- Dan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I know this entire topic is obsolete now that a reflash is available, but I went for the Z-Bomb because I had an E-Bay gift certificate for $50 and blew my motorcycle budget wad on track days.

I have to say, people pay lots of money for the type of improvement the Z-Bomb gives. The hesitation in 1 and 2 is gone, and the power is now much more accessible. At slow, easy pace riding, this won't make a bit of difference. BUT - for those that like to accelerate up the gears and give a bit of go juice to jump ahead, this is a SERIOUS upgrade. I knew what to expect from reading above, but I was still ridiculously impressed with the improvements to power delivery in 1st and 2nd gear. What was Honda thinking???

Now I really want the Guel (SP?) reflash, as it supposedly has more aggressive timing available, in addition to a bunch of other convenience items (gear indicator works, speed limits removed, fan temp adjustable, exhaust servo-alert can be killed if you want to remove the servo motor completely, etc.).

People pay a lot more than $50 to get the types of improvements made available by the Z-Bomb...  I can see that the easy access to power could be a little dangerous to an inexperienced rider, but really, what was Honda thinking?!?!?

Great mod - I now understand why it was such a big deal when it came out. (I drive a 2010 F with the only performance mod being an open flapper in the exhaust).

- Dan

• 4 years later...

I know this is more than 4 yrs old, but did Guhl stop re-flashing?  His website says he does not do re-flashing for any vehicle with a VIN.    I found a number and will call tomorrow, but looks like he got sued or something.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Jbailey895 said:

I know this is more than 4 yrs old, but did Guhl stop re-flashing?  His website says he does not do re-flashing for any vehicle with a VIN.    I found a number and will call tomorrow, but looks like he got sued or something.

Wow, that's interesting and disturbing.  "Any vehicle with a VIN" is really "any vehicle"....   Let us know what you find out. 

Hope he wasn't sued by an insurance company for an owner that didn't declare the modification.   Or just sued at all.  

• Member Contributer

If he's not reflashing anything with a VIN, his business must be off like 90%  . . . If all he's doing is race and hand built offroad vehicles, that's a tiny percentage of the on-road ones.  I wonder if it's some some sort of gov't agency like CARB or EPA that assessed fines or similar and he stopped due to that.  The heavy hand of gov't . . . Maybe tell him that the engine was swapped in to a go-kart used for racing - no VIN available!  :ph34r:

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Jbailey895 said:

If he has stopped, there's always Stef (Sabsteef) who can do the same thing as Guhl, but remotely over the internet so you don't have to remove the ECU and post it to him.

Link in my sig below.

So what are people paying for a (remote) flash?  Any difference between Sabsteef or Guhl?

BTW, just called Don Guhl, he said is definitely not flashing anymore, must be an environmental restriction issue.  He sounded angry, lol.

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, Jbailey895 said:

So what are people paying for a (remote) flash?  Any difference between Sabsteef or Guhl?

BTW, just called Don Guhl, he said is definitely not flashing anymore, must be an environmental restriction issue.  He sounded angry, lol.

Well if Guhl isn't flashing any more, what difference does it make? If you want it flashed by Stef, you'll need to pay what he asks.

Best way to find out is to contact him on Arsebook. There's a link in my sig. :beer:

• 1 year later...