Should Honda derestrict the vfr1200?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Derestict 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear?

• DO NOT - leave as is.
    • DO - all VFR1200's
    • DO - only the VFR1200F NOT the DTC
    • DO - with real traction control

Guest ChristosGR

By far the best money I ever spend on any bike compared to level of improvement, I think though that if the people @ Bazzaz designed so the 1st and 2nd gear sensors attached to the 6th instead of the 3rd the power delivery would be the same but the indicator will read 6 - 6 3 4 5 6 instead of now 3 - 3 3 4 5 6. You can't mistake 1st or 2nd for 6th as it can happen now with 2nd 3rd.

Guest sanemancured

By far the best money I ever spend on any bike compared to level of improvement, I think though that if the people @ Bazzaz designed so the 1st and 2nd gear sensors attached to the 6th instead of the 3rd the power delivery would be the same but the indicator will read 6 - 6 3 4 5 6 instead of now 3 - 3 3 4 5 6. You can't mistake 1st or 2nd for 6th as it can happen now with 2nd 3rd.

Please see my post above i.e.

If you're using mph and not kph there's a helpful hint. In 2nd revs and speed match just about exactly. i.e. 10mph @ 1,000 rpm, 30mph and 3,000 rpm etc. In 1st it's easy to tell methinks. In 3rd revs and mph don't match and in 4th and up it says so.

Guest ChristosGR

I am actually using km/h, but I don't really care about the indicator, I am more looking at this from a tecnical point, as when I drive I prefer to look at the road and drive by feel as I did for almost 30 years before this gadget, The only time I find the indicator usefull is to make sure I am running on top gear since this VFR engine is so smooth that you can easily run on 5th for 10 min. and you won't even notice otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Sneakers

0319121337b-1.jpgHi, I just received my Zbomb. I have this and the Leo Vince with no flapper too.

It was smoother and pulled stronger in first and second. But not, why is my rear wheel passing me strong..

I guess I'll have to get a ZX14 if I want to unlease a beast!

I don't miss the gear shift indicator. I don't know why I was such a pussy about loosing that. It's more of a distraction now. I don't look at anything but how much of a speeding ticket I'm going to get! I could do with just a neutral light, gas guage, engine temp and mph and I would be happy!

Over all I would do it again in a New York Minute!

Thanks Dutch for all your work and to Bazzaz for such an easy 15 minute install!

0319121338.jpg[/img]

0319121343.jpg[/img] 0319121341b.jpg[/img]

Edited by Sneakers

Hi, I just received my Zbomb. I have this and the Leo Vince with no flapper too.

It was smoother and pulled stronger in first and second. But not, why is my rear wheel passing me strong..

I guess I'll have to get a ZX14 if I want to unlease a beast!

I don't miss the gear shift indicator. I don't know why I was such a pussy about loosing that. It's more of a distraction now. I don't look at anything but how much of a speeding ticket I'm going to get! I could do with just a neutral light, gas guage, engine temp and mph and I would be happy!

Over all I would do it again in a New York Minute!

Thanks Dutch for all your work and to Bazzaz for such an easy 15 minute install!

The VFR1200 rides like a cadillac. That being said, it puts me to sleep. The ZX14 (bagger) is in the furure...

As I've mentioned, I have the z-bomb installed on my V12, and I do like the difference it's made. I do have a question about it's use with a PCV. Should I remove the z-bomb for the initial PCV install?

I'll be using the 2-Bros map to accommodate my Leo Vince slip on.

If it makes a difference, someone let me know; I'd be appreciative. Of course, I would reinstall the z-bomb after the PCV install. Is there anything I'm missing?

Once the PV5 is installed, I'm down to about three more mods remaining!

Thanks

Leave it on. It is independent of the PCV. They do two different things. The PCV alters the fuel map (adds fuel according to it's own map). The Z-bomb tells it to use the 3rd gear map in 1st and 2nd. I have both and like them. Actually, I should change the map on PCV as I am running a LeoVince pipe now. The fueling stills seems good. I'm sure there is a better map for that configuration though.

Ride safe.

Interceptorridder, thanks for the suggestion. I'll leave the z-bomb be, and do the PCV install as I originally intended. I'm going with the 2 Bros map, simply because it appears the be the closest thing available.

The Akra pipe uses the flapper system of the original equipment, and the only other map I can find is the Jardine. Going to have to dust off a PC laptop, as the PCV software is not Mac compatible. Looking forward to smoothing the fueling out. Any performance increase is icing on the cake.

• 2 months later...

Had a chance to meet Bazzaz at a AMA race and he is really nice guy. He does all the Fuel controllers for the Jordan Race Team. He gave me a discount card for his products and in the future will definitely consider them.

Edited by nr0974

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Louiscfi

New poster here...just wanted to throw in my .02. Installed the zbomb a couple thousand miles ago....BEST money for the performance I've ever spent. I dont't care about the gear indicator as this is my first bike that has one. In my opinion....great thrust in 2nd gear..waaaay better than stock..but not sooo much that the thing is out of control. Reminds me of my old ZX-11. Also, did the flapper mod....BEST free mod i've ever done!! Bike sounds like a bike now.

• 2 weeks later...

The Z-Bomb seems like a nice easy solution to the power restriction in 1st and 2nd gear. I'll look more seriously at it once I'm through the break-in period on my bike and can get on it a bit.

My concern is that Mr. Honda implemented this restriction due to some mechanical weak point and not 'wheelspining power' in low gears. Is there any concern about extra strain/backlash on the drive shaft due to this mod?

Guest Louiscfi

I felt the bike was borderline dangerous with the power restricted. There was no smooth transition from restricted power to full power. If I twist the throttle full open it was very hard to predict when I was going to get full power in 2nd gear...it was like one moment I get partial power, then, with no change in throttle postion someone flips a switch and I get a handful of power. With the bike derestricted I now control the power...If I want full power I get it...if i want less power I control it. Im willing to take a chance on the extra wear and tear this increased power might do in order to safely regulate the amount of power im getting myself. On a side note I think the best setup would be to leave 1st gear restricted and only derestrict 2nd gear by making the indicator indicate 6th gear in 2nd gear so that it reads 1-6-3-4-5-6. Just my .02.

• 1 month later...

New poster here...just wanted to throw in my .02. Installed the zbomb a couple thousand miles ago....BEST money for the performance I've ever spent. I dont't care about the gear indicator as this is my first bike that has one. In my opinion....great thrust in 2nd gear..waaaay better than stock..but not sooo much that the thing is out of control. Reminds me of my old ZX-11. Also, did the flapper mod....BEST free mod i've ever done!! Bike sounds like a bike now.

Bingo My thoughts exactly except I never had a ZX-11 old or new. The throttle doesn't seem nearly as jerky now either.

• 4 months later...

Went to install the Bazzaz today... I found the connector (I think) but I cannot seem to get enough slack in the wires to her the connector apart. The connector seems to be tied to something behind the frame. Is there something I'm missing or is it just going to take some bruit force to pull the connection apart? I AM pushing the button to release the connector... Just no dice.

edit: Nevermind... got it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Edited by crakerjac

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am new here and just looking for information to decide whether to buy a new VFR12 or a used or leftover earlier model. If the new model has traction control did they unrestrict the power in the 1st 3 gears. In other words will the new bike run as hard in the lower gears (assuming traction is not an issue) as one of the earlier bikes with a Z bomb??