Ordered my Bazzaz Z-Bomb today!

Should Honda derestrict the vfr1200?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Derestict 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear?

• DO NOT - leave as is.
    • DO - all VFR1200's
    • DO - only the VFR1200F NOT the DTC
    • DO - with real traction control

Got my Z-Bomb today in the mail. It went on in less than 2 minutes, and 1.5 of those minutes were tucking the dongles back into the frame area where they arent visble. Nice little product, well made for what it is too. It was 61 degrees in my area of Virginia today so I went for a 5 mile shot up the road once I plugged it in. I only have 800 miles on my VFR but I was already unknowingly referencing the dash indicator to check my current gear haha. The bike was definately smoother in its acceleration. But not so much from a dead stop that I'd be overly confident "racing" my unrestricted VFR12 vs. a stock one. It wasnt dangerous feeling by any means, worst case I'd say a cold tire situation with a careless rider trying to show off could result in a wheelspin event, but it's nothing scary. (Wet roads would be MUCH easier to spin on I'm sure) - but I didn't need a Z-bomb to inform me of that. Overall-good mod for the VFR, its not a faster bike because of this mod though - just smoother and I like knowing that the electronic nanny is gone (I'm 30 years old and still invincible dont you know?) Not the drastic difference I expected, I guess because 1k-5k rpms goes by so quick even when restricted, but because of the overall smooth torque range and lack of "fall over on its face 1st/2nd gear throttle twists" READ: Feels like a normal large CC bike should now, I wouldnt want to ride without it again. I will post a review update after I ride the Blue ridge this spring (Deals Gap/Dragons tail run in May as well. You guys who like to hear your engine sing need this, itsa cheap thrill. THIS IS NOT A DANGEROUS MOD IMHO

Guest ignoreance

Just to let you know I talked to honda Customer service yesterday and they stated Honda doesn't really know that there is a problem because Honda isn't getting complains from riders about lagging first and second gears. You could bitch at your dealers tell your blue in the face but that isn't telling Honda there is a problem. The dealer generally doesn't tell Honda anything if they don't have too. The only true way to get them to do something was he told me that everybody should be calling the customer relations for motorcycles. They then document it. If they get enough complains they will force engineers to look at it. They have two complains from me already the first one was about 1000 miles. The last one they asked again what the mileage was and if it was still doing the same issue. I told them my mileage is now about 5k and yes the issue still is present.

So we will not get Honda to fix it or even say "yeah we know about it" unless more people start calling about it.

Just my two cents.

The phone number if people don't want to look is (866) 784-1870

Edited by ignoreance

Is there on/off switch in it?

Hi Jussi, they do not have an on/off switch. Not sure why you'd want to turn it off though...?

I was thinking what will happen on wet, avoiding accidental high siders etc.

.... It wasnt dangerous feeling by any means, worst case I'd say a cold tire situation with a careless rider trying to show off could result in a wheelspin event, but it's nothing scary. (Wet roads would be MUCH easier to spin on I'm sure) - but I didn't need a Z-bomb to inform me of that. ....

... THIS IS NOT A DANGEROUS MOD IMHO

But budguy207's post seems to prove there is not really need to switch it off.

Just to let you know I talked to honda Customer service yesterday and they stated Honda doesn't really know that there is a problem because Honda isn't getting complains from riders about lagging first and second gears. You could bitch at your dealers tell your blue in the face but that isn't telling Honda there is a problem. The dealer generally doesn't tell Honda anything if they don't have too. The only true way to get them to do something was he told me that everybody should be calling the customer relations for motorcycles. They then document it. If they get enough complains they will force engineers to look at it. They have two complains from me already the first one was about 1000 miles. The last one they asked again what the mileage was and if it was still doing the same issue. I told them my mileage is now about 5k and yes the issue still is present. So we will not get Honda to fix it or even say "yeah we know about it" unless more people start calling about it. Just my two cents. The phone number if people don't want to look is (866) 784-1870

What a lie!!!!! Where do you think Honda gets his information to improve the VFR 1200? From forums like this!! All the improvements they made on the 2012 were discussed on this forum (slippery seat - restricted first and second gear etc.) The best and cheapest tool they can imagine to improve their product. They could at least admit that they read forums like this, that they know things can be improved...

but saying they had no complains???

At least the aftermarket is honest. They listen to us (on the forums) and provide us with the products we want.

Did some more riding today - I will repeat my earlier post in saying this little device does not make the bike "dangerous" ... my last bike was a 2007 Yamaha 1700 Warrior V-twin ... 1670cc torquemonster , that was a wheelspinner, and it was not restricted ... so, I could be a little biased. If you are used to a 600cc low compression scooter or less, then yes, I can see you being shocked at the better throttle grading that this provides in the sub 5k rpm range. It just makes the power delivery match what your right wrist is asking in the lower two gears, thats it, no raging bull surge that induces uncontrollable wheelies or unintended wheelspin. It IS a worthwhile mod however. Today I rode 20 miles or so and I dropped down to first gear going 15mph or so and cracked it and it did pull the wheel up a few inches, but I've done similar small wheelies before the z-bomb thing, it was just easier. Point of the story is, if when you ride your bike you like to crack it in second on twisty roads like I do, then get this little booger - you won't be watching the tach waiting for that 5k rpm spot to pop up. Also perform the flapper mod for the muffler and let the bike sing through both outlets from idle - 10k+ rpms and the bike just feels correct, not EPA'd / Safety committee approved and dumbed down. Hard to believe Honda markets this as a sport bike made for touring but wants to restrict it like mine used to be, I was expecting more grunt down low, it simply is not dangerous unless you weigh 100lbs and suck at riding ;)

Well, from this and the other Bazzaz thread, it looks like you folks have the ins and outs of this covered. Thought you might like to see the charts though. The upper group of each is the torque, corresponding to the values on the right side of the graph. The other is power, of course.

Finally got those connectors! Sorry to make everyone wait so long.

VFR Z-bomb charts.jpg

I fail to understand why Honda would do this instead of just installing traction control (I know, the new blue VFR's having traction control). I love this bike, but as their technological flagship, it should have had traction control ...

This is easy to understand once you realize that the TC software wasn't fully developed in time for the 2010 release. Unlike other manufacturers, Honda doesn't like to release half baked solutions to let customers do the beta testing, something most of us would appreciate. The short term option was to moderate the power in the lower gears until TC was available.

Are you kidding?? Speaking officially on Honda's behalf...

uilt-in

The VTEC WAS a half-baked beta version which many an owner has had to suffer with the built-in electrical woes...

How do I know?? I own one!!

Guest ignoreance
Just to let you know I talked to honda Customer service yesterday and they stated Honda doesn't really know that there is a problem because Honda isn't getting complains from riders about lagging first and second gears. You could bitch at your dealers tell your blue in the face but that isn't telling Honda there is a problem. The dealer generally doesn't tell Honda anything if they don't have too. The only true way to get them to do something was he told me that everybody should be calling the customer relations for motorcycles. They then document it. If they get enough complains they will force engineers to look at it. They have two complains from me already the first one was about 1000 miles. The last one they asked again what the mileage was and if it was still doing the same issue. I told them my mileage is now about 5k and yes the issue still is present. So we will not get Honda to fix it or even say "yeah we know about it" unless more people start calling about it. Just my two cents. The phone number if people don't want to look is (866) 784-1870

What a lie!!!!! Where do you think Honda gets his information to improve the VFR 1200? From forums like this!! All the improvements they made on the 2012 were discussed on this forum (slippery seat - restricted first and second gear etc.) The best and cheapest tool they can imagine to improve their product. They could at least admit that they read forums like this, that they know things can be improved...

but saying they had no complains???

At least the aftermarket is honest. They listen to us (on the forums) and provide us with the products we want.

Well did you call Honda corp if your answer is no then they got no official complaint. This and all manufactures would treat this forums as non-official development. People weren't dissatisfied enough to lodge a formal complaint therefore the issue doesn't need to be addressed in the manner of official response. Again people can complain on the web and not even have the bike. Only people with the bike can log official complaints because it is tied to your motorcycles vin #

The Traction Control was in my believe being developed for the 2010 so to say they fixed the issue in the 2012 is just crap. They put the clipped first and second gear they fixed nothing they only finished what was to be done in the first place. IMO They clearly had a mess up in engineered project deadline.

Kudos to Bazzaz for putting out the Z bomb. While I know he makes Traction Control, I have never though I needed it. But, maybe it is like one of those options you never think you need just a nice to have feature.

Anyways my recommendation still stands Call Honda. Bitch, then tell us about it here.

Thanks Bazzaz but you need to put the Z-bomb back on the website please.

Edited by ignoreance

Guest sanemancured

Of course if Bazzaz put a switch in the Z-Bomb (that I firmly approve of btw) we would have traction control on our pre 2012 VFR1200's :)

Peter

Edited by sanemancured

Guest GuitarX

Bazzaz, thank you for putting up that graph! Holy cow, I can't believe the huge dips in 1st and 2nd gear. They look worse on "paper" than they feel to me I guess. I installed my Z-Bomb the other night and will get my first ride in tomorrow. I can't wait! Thank you thank you thank you for making this product available to the masses.

DCT Z-Bomb

The results of my Z-bomb instalation went south. After the install the bike did not go into gear... uninstalled the Z-bomb, all is well in Texas. FYI recorded 40.8 MPG on a ride yesterday and thats the best i;v seen.

• Member Contributer

DCT Z-Bomb

The results of my Z-bomb instalation went south. After the install the bike did not go into gear... uninstalled the Z-bomb, all is well in Texas. FYI recorded 40.8 MPG on a ride yesterday and thats the best i;v seen.

It was never meant to be used on DCT

I ordered one yesterday.

I did ride today (nice high 50's today in VA), and while starting from a stop I had some fun and gunned it more than usual. I'm just at 900mi. I am reminded of the 2nd gear dip for sure...Looking forward to my Z-bomb delivery :tour:

Your right Rice. The guy that was going to loan Bazzaz a bike to check out the compatability with a DCT did not come through soo I stepped up to give it try.

I did not intend to knock Bazzaz at all, I just wanted the "fix" :tour:

I'll call the R&D guys Monday to touch base with them.

Guest fcaprilia

Curious what the installation looks like? Does it involve cutting wires or is this just as simple as connecting the Z-Bomb in between two connectors? Thanks

Guest ignoreance

I think it was already tried Lew. But I don't know if Bazzaz has worked on it yet.. yeah that was his big hold up he wanted the OEM connectors... He wanted it plug and play...

Guest sanemancured

I know that you have been there before Dutch and the idea is straightforward. If the connectors were readily available I suspect you'd have marketed this already. Perhaps with a fairing mounted switch marked T/C?

Peter

Guest GuitarX

Curious what the installation looks like? Does it involve cutting wires or is this just as simple as connecting the Z-Bomb in between two connectors? Thanks

It's very simple plug and play. You disconnect a plug and slip the Z-Bomb in between the two connectors. Easy as pie!

ignoreance

I had no idea It had been tried on a DCT, as a new member have I read alot and obviously missed it. :huh:

LOL no harm done. If i'm lucky i'll send the ECU to the EU for a new flash in March. Now I have to hunt down an address to send the ECU to.

Hi Guys,

I was looking forward to ordering the Z-Bomb mod, as it has now been posted on the website for sale. I was going to order two, because my buddy and I both bought one a week apart.

My question to you is... The website quotes 35 bucks for FedEx express shipping! Did you actually pay that? If I ordered one or two items, it was still 35 bucks. Just wondering how many orders they lose with that ridiculously high shipping rate? Why can't I just order the harness through Honda, and do the fix on it?

I just tell them my bike was stolen, and some parts were missing that I need to get to get it running again...

Guest ignoreance

Some guys are sending there ecu's to the UK... Bazzaz is doing the same thing that dutchgixxer is doing and he said it wouldn't work in that thread... I think..... The big problem is with the DCT the bike has to know what gear the bike is in and its trying to preselect and it does both the gear above and below. I think its a constant communication system for the DCT but I really don't know first hand.

Dutchgixxer could never find a source for the connectors and it took Bazzaz close to 8 months to get his source... at least it is done now..

Thanks again Bazzaz

Yeah they seemed high on shipping,

Edited by ignoreance