Ordered my Bazzaz Z-Bomb today!

Should Honda derestrict the vfr1200?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Derestict 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear?

• DO NOT - leave as is.
    • DO - all VFR1200's
    • DO - only the VFR1200F NOT the DTC
    • DO - with real traction control

They have the connectors and are getting ready to start shipping! Call Tracey at Bazzaz (909-597-8300, ext. 111). She is exceptionally nice and knowledgeable (her husband is a Jordan Suzuki mech. for Roger Hayden and works at Bazzaz in the off season). There are several of you ahead of me, but she expected mine to ship within a couple of weeks. I will put it on when I swap out those ratty OEM Bridgestones for my PilotRoad 3's over the winter. It will show 3rd gear in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but that is a small price to get rid of the nanny throttle. You know, Kawasaki and Suzuki sell their big GT's mostly unrestricted. I fail to understand why Honda would do this instead of just installing traction control (I know, the new blue VFR's having traction control). I love this bike, but as their technological flagship, it should have had traction control, cruise control, saddle bags, etc. as standard OEM equipment in 2010 (especially at that MSRP.....I paid less than 2/3 MSRP). Ride safe.

Mark

Z-Bomb Honda VFR1200F 10-12

Edited by HispanicSlammer
ADDED POLL AS SUGGESTED IN LATER POST
  • Like 1

Hey interceptorrider, not shure who will get the first unit, I definatly ordered mine. Your discription of the folks at Bazzaz is dead on, great crew. As a DCT owner it will be an interesting installation and test. If this goes well I may buy a slip on and Fi unit. Ok I want the Fi and slip on anyway but first things first. I ride with ZX14, Busa and R1 owners amongst others and look forward to thier reactions if this all goes well.

• Member Contributer

I fail to understand why Honda would do this instead of just installing traction control (I know, the new blue VFR's having traction control). I love this bike, but as their technological flagship, it should have had traction control ...

This is easy to understand once you realize that the TC software wasn't fully developed in time for the 2010 release. Unlike other manufacturers, Honda doesn't like to release half baked solutions to let customers do the beta testing, something most of us would appreciate. The short term option was to moderate the power in the lower gears until TC was available.

It was a shicken chit, bullship solution. I like Honda's......a lot. Your suggestion is one of the reasons. There is currently 4 Honda's in the garage (3 bikes, 1 van) and I've owned over 8 others (cars and bikes). However, they effed this up on this bike. They need to fix it for the 2010-2011 owners. The bike is a great bike that is hamstrung by this solution. Perhaps they should have delayed release a year to get it right. That seems like a more "Honda" solution. I'm just sayin'................

Guest ignoreance

I'm with you on the Honda fixing this. Honda should first know that VFR riders are not a new rider and usally a more seasoned rider. Therefore I don't need a Nanny. The bike is 600lbs its not a spring chicken and not what a 20-30 something dreams about. Speaking of which you reminded me its time for a Call to Honda to complain again.

Will make a call next week.

So as to the other side of the coin rather than release a half baked TC they put out a half baked 1&2 gear and pissed people off.

They wouldn't have had the snail slow sales if they hadn't restricted it in the first place.

Edited by ignoreance

I agree. It probably hurt sales as well as the sky high price. For that price, it should have had a centerstand, saddlebags, and cruise control. WIthout those items, it seems a couple grand cheaper would be a more appropriate price point. Again, I'm just sayin'................

• Like 1

Guest ignoreance

Didn't mean to offend you ahmageddon it is just that most VFR riders are probably a little older or a more seasoned rider many have ridden some type of motorcycle beforeis what I was implying.

As far as the Honda gear limitation maybe we can get HSlammer to make a survey and set it up as sticky and ask people to vote on it. Have it say do you agree with Honda restricting the 1&2 gears on the VFR 1200 2010. Would almost think we would get 100% results saying no I don't agree.

Will email him find out if we can get a survey going and maybe send it to honda.

In case this does go to mother Honda, it might be an idea to clean up the typos in order to be taken more seriously - need a second "r" in derestrict and it is DCT, not DTC. Oh yeah, and the DCT is also a 1200F. Cheers.

Edited by rubbersidedown

tried to speak to Honda reps at Int MC show in NYC this weekend...they were extremely unreceptive, bordering on rude to me they did not want to hear about it or even acknowledge the problem... total BS !!! i am very disappointed in Honda ...makes me wonder if the have any interest at all any more in selling motorcycles.....i have owned a Honda since 1971, didn't seem to phase them....spent some time speaking to Dante at the Bazzaz booth with much better results....still don't think i should have to spend $1000 to make a $16,000 bike run correctly Honda acted like i was making this stuff up !!!!!

Edited by lshark

Guest ignoreance

Given the option of TC I choose TC. I Feel that this makes Honda admit there bike was to have TC in the first place. I believe at a minimum they should remove the restriction placed on the bike. If they just fixed the restriction I would be happy.

Edited by ignoreance

Guest fcaprilia

Honda has released the ECM update in the UK where the VFR 1200 riding community has been very vocal about the 1st and 2nd low RPM issue. No idea what the hang up is in releasing the update in the US. Curious if anyone has called the Honda Customer service? Oh and I just recently got a new DCT but have not had a chance to ride much due to the recent weather in the Seattle area.

• Member Contributer

tried to speak to Honda reps at Int MC show in NYC this weekend...they were extremely unreceptive, bordering on rude to me they did not want to hear about it or even acknowledge the problem... total BS !!! i am very disappointed in Honda ...makes me wonder if the have any interest at all any more in selling motorcycles.....i have owned a Honda since 1971, didn't seem to phase them....spent some time speaking to Dante at the Bazzaz booth with much better results....still don't think i should have to spend $1000 to make a $16,000 bike run correctly Honda acted like i was making this stuff up !!!!!

Their reaction is classic. No business wants their "laundry" aired in public at an event where they are promoting their product. While I appreciate your passion, Honda's reaction is pretty normal. Honda has often been slow to react to problems. I also own a 2008 Accord and a class action suit was filed and won to ensure that repairs to my rear brakes due to a dragging pad problem were covered by Honda. I think Honda would have resolved it through a recall program eventually, but the suit forced their hand.

• Member Contributer

Honda is like any other major automotive producer. They will always do what's in their best interest first. That usually means what's in your's as they want to sell you their product but if they can get away with something they will.

And sales reps (of any retail product) are a total waste of time. Half the time they are ignorant of what they are selling and the other half they will tell you only what you need to hear to get a sale. So in the future don't waste your time and energy with them.

Simply start a petition and forward it to customer service when you feel you have enough signatures. Keep in mind though that even if you do get a response it won't happen quickly as it has to happen in a way that protects Honda first and you've all ready bought the bike so they won't feel the need to rush. Good luck!

Guest GuitarX

Hey guys, I just received my Z-Bomb today (!). Has anyone installed this yet? Is it as simple as the directions make it seem or should I watch out for any hidden alligators? Thanks!

Is there on/off switch in it?

Hi Jussi, they do not have an on/off switch. Not sure why you'd want to turn it off though...?

Why; With Z-Bomb your gears will show 3-3-3-4-5-6. It would be nice to turn it back to standard sometimes. You can make the switch yourself also but then we are back to cutting wires.

Guest GuitarX

Well, considering most older bikes out there don't have a gear indicator and many new ones still don't I think I can live with 3rd gear showing in 1st -3rd. That was part of my thought process when ordering the Z-Bomb many months ago. I only ever really need to know what gear I'm in when on the highway, just to make sure I'm in top gear, in which case the multiple 3rd gears won't matter.