4th Gen VFRNess Install help

• Member Contributer

So I'm working on the bike over the winter and got started on installing the VFRNess I ordered a while back.

I'm following the instructions and it has me find the Starter Relay and makes sure its all good.

img2278x.th.jpg

img2276o.th.jpg

If I'm not mistaken that's it right there. It looks fine. It then tells me to remove the red/white wire. ???? I don't see one but I think it means the one that runs to the positive/power on the Battery so I remove it.

img2277p.th.jpg

img2279i.th.jpg

So it's out.....but now I'm stuck. I have 2 red wires on the VFRNess. One looks like it goes to the Battery....the other has a female connector and I don't see how it can be attached to the Starter Relay.

Here's the VFRNess I got:

vfrness.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong please:

A: Goes to the R/R

B: Goes to the plug on the lower right side near the Clutch cover

C: ?????????????

D: Battery Positive Terminal

E: Battery Negative Terminal

I'm assuming the connector labelled "C" in the shot above should attach to the Starter Relay but I don't see how.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I just did this.

"B" takes the place of the connector from your stator to your R/R - it's on the throttle side of the bike behind the fairing not very far from the oil fill spot. Just follow your old R/R harness and it will take you to it. It has three yellow wires going from it - "lower right side near the Clutch cover" sounds like you see it.

Reinstall this where you took it off: http://imageshack.us...1/img2279i.jpg/

It supplies power to your starter.

The electrical plug with the tape wrapped around it here (with the read plastic connector under it): http://imageshack.us...0/img2277p.jpg/

is where you need to turn your attention. Squeeze the little side tabs to unplug it, pull the tape back some and look at the colored wires. "C" goes into the starter relay connector - it REPLACES the red/white wire in that connector. You have to use a very small screw driver or even a thick wire to depress a metal tab inside the connector from the front to pull the red/white connector you are replacing out the back then slide the new VFRness red connector into the starter relay from the back. Pull the old red/white wire through the rubber top, tape it with electrical tape and leave it to the side.

You got everything else correct.

Oh, and don't forget to pull the 30A fuse under the starter relay connector and replace it with the 20A fuse supplied with your kit before you plug connector back into the relay.

PM me if you need more directions.

Understood! Thanks for the info.

Why would need to replace the 30A fuse with the 20A? I don't recall seeing that in the instructions.

It was in my instructions and Tightwad (the creator of the VFRness) reiterated it via email.

It is not imperative but I guess it offers the system more protection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Ok. Couple more questions.

img2327t.th.jpg

img2325n.th.jpg

Just want to make sure that this is the correct fuse to replace and the correct red/white wire to remove (which gets replace by the red wire in the VFRNess. The one labelled "C" in the first pics of this thread)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Are you all installing the VFRness as a preventative measure or have you had a wiring failure? Just curious, as my '95 has been solid with its stock wiring.

Are you all installing the VFRness as a preventative measure or have you had a wiring failure? Just curious, as my '95 has been solid with its stock wiring.

My 95 appears to be running fine. The wiring looks like new and the bike is giving 12.8 v at idle and 14.23 at 5000 rpm. I bought it as a preventative measure (also bought a r/r) but in some ways I am almost reluctant to put it on. due to running fine. But, the VFRness seems well constructed, and am heading out into the garage to do it now. Taking a ride down the Blue Ridge next month, and just want to cover the inadequacies of the r/r.

One thing I forgot to mention. This bike has 40,000 k. on it. I had a 1990 VFR750 which ran fine, then at 42,000 k. the r/r packed in. Better safe than sorry!

• Member Contributer

i had the rr take out a connector at 20,000 miles ,fitted a new rr with the vfrness then had another rr go it took out another connector at 45000 miles ,i fitted another rr then fitted a heavy gauge wire and a water proof connector of a car.i fitted a 5 inch square heat sink which locates under the seat with the rr on top.the resited rr has worked for 10,000+ miles .its all probably happening because my bike lives out side all the time hot/cold damp etc.have now passed 60,000 miles. :tour:

Well I put the VFRness and my r/r on today. No problems fitting either, and the bike started right up. Don't think it was my imagination, but it started up much easier than normal. Also found that the r/r that was on the bike was not a Honda part, so I guess my r/r install is probably at least it's third one. :sad:

Archived