Loud horns save lives

V4 Rosso

I installed a Stebel some time ago, but wouldn't bother if I had to do it over again. It's loud, but the cagers still don't hear it. With their windows closed, well insulated vehicles, music on, and that oblivious demeanor, it's wasted on them. I have pulled up close right next to them and given a blast, and that is somewhat satisfying watching the driver jump, but that's after the fact.

After saying all that, I think the Banshee is likely to be heard.

I agree the Banshee got it for being heard, Wish we had those oscillating EU police sounds. I think the oscillation is the key to overcoming radios and what not.

• Member Contributer

Regardless of the whole ride defensively discussion, this is a fantastic idea. I ride extremely defensively but having this as an additionnal safety measure and as a way to warn poeple is great. I flash my lights to get attention on occasion anyway so this will be even better. Coming up to a car waiting to turn left.... voila!

I'm getting one and telling friends about it for sure.

Thanks for posting this!

• Member Contributer

Pledged. I understand the argument that using your horn is the last thing on your mind (same here really), but it's that one day you need it to save your ass that makes $69 cheap.

• Member Contributer

A horn is a nice way to get somebody's attention that's for sure. All I was saying is if there is time to honk the horn there is time to push or pull on the bars and I trust that reaction more. Read an interesting post somewhere, practice pushing that horn button because in panic mode you react to what you do most, number 93. http://pirateslair.net/SAFETY1.htm

• Member Contributer

A horn is a nice way to get somebody's attention that's for sure. All I was saying is if there is time to honk the horn there is time to push or pull on the bars and I trust that reaction more. Read an interesting post somewhere, practice pushing that horn button because in panic mode you react to what you do most, number 93. http://pirateslair.net/SAFETY1.htm

I like that cell phone sign :smile:

Muscle memory technique. I get that. I have been reading the 'Proficient Motorcycling' books by David L. Hough and there's quite a bit on street riding "survival" techniques and best practices. Some of what he writes about is practicing quick stop and evasion maneuvers, getting these "memorized" so that your reaction time is quicker, that 1/4-1/2 second reaction time could make a difference. After reading their FAQ and thinking about it more, even though I am typically not a horn user, I might get one of these as an added safety measure. As it is now, when I ride on the street, I wear an orange reflective vest and a Hi-Viz yellow helmet, along with the other safety gear. Anything to make myself more conspicuous in traffic is a good thing in my book.

• 3 weeks later...
Pledged. I understand the argument that using your horn is the last thing on your mind (same here really), but it's that one day you need it to save your ass that makes $69 cheap.

Plus a million on that one! My Fiamme low tone snail horn had saved me many many times through the years from getting punted or crushed by inattentive drivers in the crazy freeways around the bay area.

There's should be no arguement here! Loud horns do save lives! And yes, they can hear them when their windows are shut. I suspect that the only time they don't is if they are playing their radios way too loud to hear anything else or the driver of the vehicle might have some hearing defficiency.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

This seems like an overly complicated (expensive?) solution... but something an engineer would come up with, and the ingenuity is awesome!

I have my stebel wired using a relay triggered by the existing horn switch. It has worked fine for me...swerving overcorrections, spilled coffee.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Loud, but not particularly useful. When I'm about to be cut off my first reaction is to brake, avoid, and recover. I suppose I could honk my horn at them after the fact to "punish" them but never saw the point. Car drifting into my lane on the freeway, I brake, car pulling out of a side street, I brake, car turning left in front of me, brake. I have no time or use for the horn.

it's pretty loud, just can't see how it would save a life.

I considered the Stebel to placate the wife, But truthfully, I wouldn't use it either. Haven't had a functioning horn on my car for 6 years and don't miss it. On a bike, who has time to wait and see if the horn warning did the trick? I do the same, brake, avoid, recover. Horns are to make a statement "I'm here". The real question is whether you have the luxury to wait and see whether the message is received.

I don't.

There are indeed some situations where being noticed is your only survival option (probably due to your own error) and in those situations have a loud horn is absolutely a potential life saver. I would have to retrain my reflexes because I'm usually on the clutch ready to make a change and not on the horn at the same time.

• Member Contributer

I had a loud horn on Lucy and did use it a few times. I didn't notice a huge difference though. The other thing about a REALLY loud horn is what if that soccer mom/housewife or whatever gets startled and ends up swerving into you? I once scared a tractor trailer into almost running into another one while on the bike. I knew I could stop, evidently he didn't, lol..

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

So has anyone purchased and succefully mounted this unit?

I thought it would be pretty straight forward as I wouldn't even need to mod the device since the inventor had the exact same bike as me but it turns out he does not have the ABS version. The place where he mounts it, in the front left side fairing, a gaping hole on non-abs models it seems, is not an option on the ABS model. It is not going to fit anywhere in there. After considering and trying numerous options I went for the location of the current horn (repositioned slightly to the right) with a home made bracket. After spending the better part of a day and a half on this as sooooo many things went wrong (damn everything is tight on this bike, makes me wish I had miniature hands), I am calling it a day but will post pics when I do get it done correctly.

Anyone else have better luck?

They have since come out with a two piece model that would be a breeze to install....

Post your install pics if you have them

• Member Contributer

So has anyone purchased and succefully mounted this unit?

I thought it would be pretty straight forward as I wouldn't even need to mod the device since the inventor had the exact same bike as me but it turns out he does not have the ABS version. The place where he mounts it, in the front left side fairing, a gaping hole on non-abs models it seems, is not an option on the ABS model. It is not going to fit anywhere in there. After considering and trying numerous options I went for the location of the current horn (repositioned slightly to the right) with a home made bracket. After spending the better part of a day and a half on this as sooooo many things went wrong (damn everything is tight on this bike, makes me wish I had miniature hands), I am calling it a day but will post pics when I do get it done correctly.

Anyone else have better luck?

Yeah I just fitted mine not an hour ago. I'll post a video in the next day or so, but since mine is non-ABS you can guess where I mounted it!!!

Side note: It is extremely loud! Just what the doctor ordered.

Archived