Loud horns save lives

V4 Rosso

• Member Contributer

I replaced the horn on my truck with one of these Stebel horns and folks notice it. Defnitely would be an improvement on my bike. It's a pretty large horn and finding a spot to mount it under the fairing could be a challenge. I'm sure someone here has conquered that issue.

Loud, but not particularly useful. When I'm about to be cut off my first reaction is to brake, avoid, and recover. I suppose I could honk my horn at them after the fact to "punish" them but never saw the point. Car drifting into my lane on the freeway, I brake, car pulling out of a side street, I brake, car turning left in front of me, brake. I have no time or use for the horn.

it's pretty loud, just can't see how it would save a life.

That is a fantastic idea!!! I'm a lot like tamworth though as I usually am fully concentrated on avoiding the hazard/accident and blowing the horn is usually an afterthought to call attention to my single finger salute. Still a great idea though, very ingenious.

There have been a few times I can remember using my horn - but of course the only one who probably hears it is me. Not sure why bikes have such crap horns. A super loud horn is on my wish list, just have to figure out how to find space for it.

• Member Contributer

Loud, but not particularly useful. When I'm about to be cut off my first reaction is to brake, avoid, and recover. I suppose I could honk my horn at them after the fact to "punish" them but never saw the point. Car drifting into my lane on the freeway, I brake, car pulling out of a side street, I brake, car turning left in front of me, brake. I have no time or use for the horn.

it's pretty loud, just can't see how it would save a life.

Kindof agree with this. My mindset is much more defensive than trusting a horn would allow me to be.

I tend to "punish" with my finger afterwards, if I'm really upset - but probably like a horn of any volume, it does nothing but make me feel better.

Another reason I don't use the motorcycle horn is because they sound so pathetic. The Banshee is loud but an awful tone, the Stebel nautilus is less loud but equally poor tone. Need a nice set of two (complimenting) tone Fiamms, or maybe something from an 80s Cadillac. Nothing like a good old two tone American horn.

Here's a nice dual Fiamm electric horn sound, nice tone.

http://youtu.be/Ab5qKXyFCrg

Another reason I don't use the motorcycle horn is because they sound so pathetic. The Banshee is loud but an awful tone, the Stebel nautilus is less loud but equally poor tone. Need a nice set of two (complimenting) tone Fiamms, or maybe something from an 80s Cadillac. Nothing like a good old two tone American horn.

Here's a nice dual Fiamm electric horn sound, nice tone.

I had some air horns on my Triumph(cage) They had 3 long trumpet tubes...... Great tune and loud..... Of course I never used it, unless I was on a back road and I didn't see any cars or houses, then I'd blast it to make sure it was still working.

• Member Contributer

I think the idea is long over due, but like some of the other posters I rarely use the horn, it's typically an afterthought, even in my car. I tend to manuever and avoid and dont even think about the horn until after the situation is over. The wife however is more prone to using the horn. For those who are horn users I think it's worth looking into.

• Member Contributer

Interesting idea, but I think I would like a toggle switch between "friendly toot" and "loud blast." - If I need the loud blast like fricken now, I dont want to have to wait for it.

• Member Contributer

When I find myself dodging oblivious cagers I simultaneously give them the benefit of the music that only the Stebel Nautilus can provide. Hitting the horn in no way impacts my ability to brake and more often then not scares the cager back into their lane giving me even more opportunity to escape unscathed while they try to figure out where the "big truck" is. You should practice it as part of your defensive driving. I don't even have to think about hitting the horn any more.

As for giving a friendly toot versus a roaring blast I find it just as easy to accomplish with the Stebel as with the stock horn. A quick honk usually gets nothing more than a standard response and truthfully if I have to honk at all I could care less if someone gets offended. If you are driving responsibly then you won't get any grief from me.

As for the device? I don't see how it could hurt but if they are not paying attention to you anyway I don't think flashing your lights are going to be a significant deterrent. Still, any little bit helps and if it gets you home safely then I say it's worth it. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

When I installed my Stebel I couldn't wait for someone to attempt to run me off the road so I could use the horn. I loved the idea of waking idiot drivers but numerous times I've noticed that they were totally oblivious to my screeching air horn. Now I just kick the side of the car when they come at me.

i dont see the point of the stock and aftermarket horn then flashing the lights?

why not just have the aftermarket horn? and no light show?

I'm pretty sure the stock horn was just to let us hear it, right before the improved one.

• Member Contributer

Again, since I am no electical wizard and feel successful in the electronic field whe I plug/unplug my laptop, what is wrong with just removing the OEM horn and mounting an old horn ripped from a cage at the junk yard? Will that fry something else on the VFR? Does it need some sort of inline relay? A regular car horn is pretty damed loud when it isn't confined under the closed hood of a car! Electro wizards, what do you think?

Again, since I am no electical wizard and feel successful in the electronic field whe I plug/unplug my laptop, what is wrong with just removing the OEM horn and mounting an old horn ripped from a cage at the junk yard? Will that fry something else on the VFR? Does it need some sort of inline relay? A regular car horn is pretty damed loud when it isn't confined under the closed hood of a car! Electro wizards, what do you think?

You need a relay. The switch for the standard horn is too light to handle the current of a big loud horn.

I replaced the horn on my truck with one of these Stebel horns and folks notice it. Defnitely would be an improvement on my bike. It's a pretty large horn and finding a spot to mount it under the fairing could be a challenge. I'm sure someone here has conquered that issue.

I stuck one in my VFR1200F. There's a perfect spot for it.

http://vfr1200fa.blogspot.com/2010/10/stebel-nautilus-air-horn-second-horn.html

I use it all the time. When a car blindly and casually starts drifting into my lane a 2 or 3 second blast snaps them to attention and I suddenly become visible. Worth every penny and then some.

I also use it as a bit of a practical joke with my riding buddies.... I sneak up into their blindspot and give them a blast. They nearly crap themselves every time.

• Member Contributer

After reading the FAQ on their website, there are a few options to this device. First, you can actually allow the "big" horn to be triggered with an outside switch instead of the horn switch, you can shorten the delay to 1/4 second and can also bypass the light flashing if you wanted to.

why not just have the aftermarket horn? and no light show?

Because when in a cage and it is not always apparent from what direction the sound is coming from. Flashing your lights helps.

I myself have thought about putting an extra wire between the horn and the high beam relay.

• Member Contributer

I installed a Stebel some time ago, but wouldn't bother if I had to do it over again. It's loud, but the cagers still don't hear it. With their windows closed, well insulated vehicles, music on, and that oblivious demeanor, it's wasted on them. I have pulled up close right next to them and given a blast, and that is somewhat satisfying watching the driver jump, but that's after the fact.

After saying all that, I think the Banshee is likely to be heard.

Archived