SPEED channel rider education

V4 Rosso

• Member Contributer

So the best recommendation is ride with full gears and try to never get down.

Modern day tires and brakes (especially on a 6th Gen VFR) will stop you MUCH faster than laying the bike down. Practicing heavy/panic braking is a more valuable time spent than watching videos online anyway.

It's quite theory for discussing this.

However, for some people, like myself, sometimes tried to figure out some key notes for the lay-down case, such as:

- What 's the best hands/ arms position?

- Should rider try to hold the handle bar while laying down?

- Should rider try to against road surface while sliding, i meant to do the body breaking?

- Should rider try to jump out at very first moment of clash, slide... etc...

Smt like that.

Laying down a bike should be like the stunt rider did it, I'd re watch the video over and over to see what he did (Look for where hands are. etc..... it also mentioned getting the low-side leg out just before contact with the ground).

• Member Contributer

For good tips on how to position your hands/arms for the subsequent surgeries to repair, watch from 46-50 seconds in.

That segment clearly shows broken left ulna and radius bones just above the wrist from executing a "successful" lay down.

Speed should at least have the editorial sense to place a disclaimer online and in any future airings that the statements regarding this being currently taught and this being the quickest way to stop a motorcycle are not true, lest they be accused of killing off new motorcycle riders so their craptacular crash and stunt shows continue to draw more viewers than their butchering of MotoGP and WSBK races...the nascar channel sucks!

Laying it down is a technique for movie stunts and that's about it. :rolleyes:

Better to brake as hard as possible and hope you don't have to do your Superman impression.

Laying the bike down because you're about to hit a semi isn't going to work. The bike hits the truck,

then you do the same. You know who wins that contest. :ohmy:

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

In my one hiccup to date (2 weeks into riding) I hit the brakes hard and made impact at maybe 1mph. Felt like a stoppie and punching the windshield. Hairline hand fracture that I didn't discover for a week. I say brake hard and pray!

Archived