Got a PCIII for Xmas, but do I really want the PCV?

whiteboyslo

• Member Contributer

Happy Holidays VFRD!

Much to my surprise, I got a PCIII for Xmas yesterday. I had casually mentioned it sometime ago and never thought someone would remember it by now, but there you go.

Anywho, after doing a little research on here, I see that the PCV has 'unofficially' replaced the PCIII as the device to have for my 2004 (Yes, I HAVE been living under a rock for the last year or so). My question is, is it worth the hassle of trying to return the III for the V? In all likelihood, all I would do with either is load Cozy's map and forget about it. The place that the PCIII was purchased from charges a 20% re-stock fee even if I turn around and buy the PCV from them, and I wouldn't be looking to pick up the Autotune anytime soon unless the difference in performance between a PCIII and PCV with Autotune is THAT significant.

FWIW, the bike has a 2Bros slip-on and a K&N. I'll probably yank the snorkel and do some PAIR/flapper work once I install whichever unit I decide on, though.

Mike

• Forum CEO

PCIII is a fine tool, and at that price! Ha - I doubt you are going to get any significant performance out of a V vs III There are some nice maps for your set up already in the files section. If your dead set on the auto tune sure, go for it.

• Member Contributer

Sounds good. Question, though. I've been contemplating playing with the gearing a bit (probably a -1 up front). Will this be something that would affect the Power Commander at all? If so, would one be better than the other in handling this?

Mike

• Member Contributer

Sounds good. Question, though. I've been contemplating playing with the gearing a bit (probably a -1 up front). Will this be something that would affect the Power Commander at all? If so, would one be better than the other in handling this?

Mike

No, the Power Commander III changes the bike's fueling map by adding or subtracting fuel at a specific throttle position and RPM. So the gearing won't matter. This may affect the PCV's map by gear feature, however, this is something I am not sure on.

If you aren't going to add autotune, quickshift, or map by gear in the future, then there's really no advantage to paying to get a PCV. It adds a few more RPM positions and has a marginally quicker processor (if I recall correctly), but you should be just fine with the PCIII.

• Member Contributer

Well, just got done installing the PCIII with Cozye's map. I went ahead and yanked the snorkel, disabled the flapper, and blocked off the PAIR valve (blocked the hose for now. Waiting for a set of A&A block-off plates) at the same time.

Wow, what a difference! This goes right up there with suspension as one of those mods I'm almost kicking myself for not doing sooner.

Thanks for all the help!

Mike