How to (easily) raise rear of bike for rear wheel/chain maintenance?

Guest Kalikiano

Guest Kalikiano

G'day group. New member here who recently added a nice 5th-gen VFR800Fi to his stable (my other bike is a 1991 Yamaha FZR 1000). Several things about the VFR are new to me, including Honda's use of FI versus carbs and the fact that the rear axle is suspended via spindle secured to left swing-arm only. THAT leads me to ask what most use to raise the rear Viffer suspension for maintenance work (such as chain lubrication). Obviously, a conventional fulcrum-style rear axle support stand (such as I use on my Fizzer) won't work. I presume the correct answer would be a generic motorcycle 'lift jack' that fits under the lower frame and raises the rear wheel off ground, but thought I'd toss the question out for general review since some of you may have ideas I hadn't thought of.

Aloha nui loa, -K

• Member Contributer

Unless the previous owner removed it, center stand works a treat! Blocks or a jack under the headers will lift the front while on the center stand.

Otherwise get yourself a rear stand made for a single swing arm bike. Go for the Pitbull, you won't be sorry! As for other brands, some are good, some aren't. Pitbull is great.

Yes, you can run the bike on the PitBull. Don't leave the bike though, I have seen the bike start to crawl off the pin.

My .02 is that PitBull stand sucks.

I have both. I find the one with the lift lever going the front is much more user friendly.

The one pictured above is good when there is a lot of open space to work. However the arm does get in the way when moving around the rear of the bike.

pitbull.JPG

Edited by Guest

No!

There would be a problem with some scienfic theories... Like equal Balance and weight transfer.

The stand would need to be used on the other side for it to work.

The stand will be used on the left side more than the right.

• Member Contributer

Pit Bull stand work great in getting the wheel off but if you wish to adjust the chain or remove the swingarm... you need a pair of hard stands under the foot pegs...

2543593243_83cdc9c5d6_z.jpg

gallery_3131_51_84342.jpg