Project 85 VF1000R

JWhelan65

• Member Contributer

Ok, you obviously have not posted enough pics of the garage - is that three lifts? I can't look....

Beautiful job BTW!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful Bike!

Almost makes me really want to Buy the '85 VF1000 that is on CL here locally, Down to $600.00 last I looked. But I truelly can't afford to spend my money on yet another project!

Ride Safe

Beautiful Bike!

Almost makes me really want to Buy the '85 VF1000 that is on CL here locally, Down to $600.00 last I looked. But I truelly can't afford to spend my money on yet another project!

Ride Safe

Can you post the listing?

• Member Contributer

Haven't been home for a few weeks, over in Italy for the GP race. Bike looks fantastic!! Nice job!

• 2 weeks later...

Great project! Turns out werry nice looking in every detail. I do have to say I like the twin headlight look better, but thats a taste thing. A 1KR is a 1KR anyway, one of the best looking bikes out there.

• 4 weeks later...

Talk about envey at every level!!! Superb restoration and documentation on the VF1Kr and kudos on the new shop as well. In addition, you've managed to own/restore several of my all time favorite bikes that would be in my own collection too- GS700ES, Nighthawk S ('85 blue/black my fav), CB1100F, very trick.

Well done. It's the patience that some people possess that I'm evenious of most. I try to have patience with projects, but it just takes too long!

• 3 months later...
Talk about envey at every level!!! Superb restoration and documentation on the VF1Kr and kudos on the new shop as well. In addition, you've managed to own/restore several of my all time favorite bikes that would be in my own collection too- GS700ES, Nighthawk S ('85 blue/black my fav), CB1100F, very trick.

Well done. It's the patience that some people possess that I'm evenious of most. I try to have patience with projects, but it just takes too long!

Kind of late to this post but many thanks for the kind words

Recent photo,,,,

VFRtailpic_zpsac231147.jpg

• 4 months later...

I was able to get out and really ride this thing last weekend. The new suspension made a world of difference.. I am always taken back by how fast the old girls really are.

• Member Contributer

What a great bike and good to know that is being ridden.

Old bikes (especially bikes with this much time and L$VE invested) can be seen as too _____ (fill in the blank) to be properly enjoyed.

I had to go back and read this entire thread again...I think that makes four or five times now.

• Member Contributer

I have a real late question on the Sonic springs you used, I purchased the same and received a PVC pipe for the spacer to be cut to fit. Is this what you used too?

Just curious.

BTW that bike is AWESOME!! :beer:

• 4 weeks later...

I have a real late question on the Sonic springs you used, I purchased the same and received a PVC pipe for the spacer to be cut to fit. Is this what you used too?

Just curious.

BTW that bike is AWESOME!! :beer:

Yes if you have any questions you can email Rich at SS and he will return your email promptly

VFR1_zpsdb2aad6f.jpg

Thanks..had it out this eve what a hoot!

Thinking on replacing the stock windscreen, its a little rough. Anyone provide any direction?

• Member Contributer

I found this site for windscreens, I have not bought one yet so no clue as to quality but it is German!

http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/mra_motorcycle_screens.html

And I think everyone here will recognize the bike they used for the VF1000R Thumbnail image.

• 2 months later...

Looks incredible, hoping to do something similar if not quite as meticulous this winter. Did Larry clear over all the decals? And was that standard from the factory or were the decals on top of the clear (if they used it at all?)

great work!

• Member Contributer

Recieved my modded CBR 600 replacement rear shock today...Kudos to Jamie!

IMG_4897.jpg

Is it just me or are those extensions 2 seperate parts bolted to the shock ? How will you stop them bending around the bolt point ? That is NOT a repalcement for the shock on the left. The extended piece needs to be a solid link to the shock core, i.e. obe piece or designed in such a way that it acts as one piece. That looks like it will bend in the middle like a knee joint !

Ignore me, just read the rest of the post & saw you swapped the shock for a proper one :)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if it sold and for how much?

IIRC the first auction the bidding was up to $6600 and ended without the reserve met. Relisting had a buy it now of $7500 and starting bid of $6500 but zero bids when it ended.

• 2 months later...

Archived