Carburetors And Winter Storage

VFR-To-FJR

I may use a 4th Gen VFR as a donor bike to build a "Faux 45" - a replica Street RC 45.

I've been advised to use a newer 5 th Gen because it has fuel injection. I know that the RC 45's frame is similar to the 4 Gen's and that the RC 45 is fuel injected.

What is the reality of living with a bike that has carburetors, knowing that it must be put up for the 3 - 4 month Northeast winter?

What is preparation is required, other than the required dosing with fuel stabilizer?

Thanks.

Sandy

With my '86 VFR, I would put the stabilizer in a full tank, shut off the petcock, drain the carb float bowls right out using the drain screws, then try to start and run the bike on full choke until it would not even fire at all. Then you are assured that the carbs are totally empty.

In the 14 years I had that bike, I never had to clean the carbs once, and it started, idled, and pulled through to redline in every gear just line brand new, always.

I did the exact same thing with my bikes as Veefer and never had a problem either.

With my '86 VFR, I would put the stabilizer in a full tank, shut off the petcock, drain the carb float bowls right out using the drain screws, then try to start and run the bike on full choke until it would not even fire at all. Then you are assured that the carbs are totally empty.

In the 14 years I had that bike, I never had to clean the carbs once, and it started, idled, and pulled through to redline in every gear just line brand new, always.

Our muckluck-booted, seal blubber-eating member from frozen Alberta has it exactly right: you MUST drain the carbs from the bottom for the best results. BTW, Sandy, trying to convert your 4th Gen to FI is impractical and just about impossibe unless your budget is unlimited, and why ??

There is NOTHING wrong with carbs and no real advantage to FI aside from lower emissions and slightly better fuel mileage.

FI was fitted on bikes for cost cutting, better control of emissions, and because contemporary dealer techs prefer using a computer as their brains instead of being able to diagnose and repair carbs.

Edited by squirrelman