6th Generation Stebel Installation - Clean and Simple

BonemanVFR

Spent a few hours today and got my Stebel Nautilus horn installed. After separating the compressor/motor unit from the horn, I found great spots for it inside the upper right side faring.

I had a Stebel Nautilus horn on my FZ6 and I loved it. 139dB of derailing freight train goodness. Enough to wake up the most inattentive driver out there.

For this installation I had to separate the motor/compressor from the horn unit. This is done by prying up on the compressor nipple that is inserted into the horn. The compressor was also glued to the plastic horn section, so some additional prying was needed to separate it. What you end up with is two pieces that makes mounting a little easier.

PA220024.JPG

Once separated, you simply use rubber tubing and a brass fitting in order to connect the compressor unit to the horn. I purchased a 5/16 rubber tubing and some barbed fittings from Home Depot.

PA220038.JPG

I mounted both the horn and the compressor unit in the right side front faring area. By mistake I had ended up taking the compressor unit apart (during my horn separation process). In doing so I found out that all it is is an electric motor that spins a shaft that goes to a 'fan' in the top that pushes air into the horn. So I didn't see any reason for the compressor unit to remain upright.

For mounting the horn, I simply used some 3M double sided tape. For the compressor I used some 3M tape as well, but also drilled two holes through the black plastic and secured it with a cable tie.

PA220042.JPG

PA220043.JPG

The Stebel comes with a relay and yes you will need one as it can draw up to 20amps!! I used the two existing wires going to the stock horn (light green w/silver dots = +12VDC activated by the horn button and dark green w/silver dots = Ground). I left the stock horn in place.

Wiring for the relay is as follows:

85 - Ground

86 - Horn wire - light green w/silver dots = +12VDC activated by the horn button

87 - +12VDC switched (power when ignition is on)

30 - Horn compressor +

- terminal on Horn compressor - Ground

I hooked up 87 to my

FZ1 Fuse Block and set it to switched power so only the horn will work when the ignition is on. You can also wire it so the horn will work with constant 12 VDC so it will work with the ignition off (user preference).

I initially used a 7.5Amp fuse, but after 2 test blasts of the horn it blew the fuse. So I now have a 15 Amp fuse and that seems to work fine.

- Boneman

http://www.bonemanvf...ods/stebel.html

Edited by BonemanVFR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

that is neat...i already have one at the same spot but all intact on the 1998. I am planning to move the compressor behind to the back right cowl. lets see,,,

• Member Contributer

[snip] So I didn't see any reason for the compressor unit to remain upright. [/snip]

Unfortunately and for reason(s) that I don't understand, there is a need for the compressor to be upright. Stebel says that it needs to be within 15 degrees of vertical, or it will fail prematurely. I have mounted mine on the bolt for the original anemic horn, where it lays back perhaps 16 degrees. I have just installed my third horn. The first lasted about six months, and the second a much better 24 months. Other than the early demise, I really like the mounting spot.

• Member Contributer

I wish I took pictures of where I mounted mine. VERY easy if you separate them.

All I required additionally was a small L bracket. I'll be taking the front end apart, I might take off the fairings and take some pictures.

Essentially, I mounted the compressor where Boneman mounted his horn, perfectly upright.

I mounted the horn in the stock location using the stock bracket, I just had to use some heavy duty wire to mount the original bracket to the horn.

Yeah, I need to upgrade the horns on both my Hondas. Had to dodge a brain-dead four-wheeler during commute home on my ST1100 just yesterday.

Pressing the horn button was about as effective at getting the driver's attention as was cursing at them with the face shield of the helmet closed.

I wonder how much more it would have cost Mr. Honda to simply install a reasonably good performing horn on the manufacturing line. An extra buck or two?

• Member Contributer

I wonder what other people are paying for the Nautilus Compact? Mine was $US54.84 shipped to Washington State (with a relay in the box), which seemed like a very good price.

I wonder what other people are paying for the Nautilus Compact? Mine was $US54.84 shipped to Washington State (with a relay in the box), which seemed like a very good price.

I just put an Ear Cannon (which came in a Nautilus box) on my girlfriend's VFR. It was $40 plus shipping from Aerostich. Came with the relay and mounting bolt. No wiring or anything though. You could buy that for an additional $12.