2012 VFRD SumSum x2 - August 14 – 17th

didit

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I have a similar (though more northerly) route planned - Lolo Pass, Beartooth Pass, Mt Rushmore then to Colorado before returning through Utah, Idaho and Eastern OR. The thing is, the Sturgis rally is going on the weekend prior to the 14th (ends August 12th), and I have heard the roads in the area can be a parking lot as a result. Anyone have experience with that?

• Member Contributer

Stay out of sturgis during bike week if you do not like ideling at .3 mph for hours . I stayed one day the week before bike week - that was not bad if you want to see the town.

• Member Contributer

I wasn't thinking of Stugis exactly - just Mt Rushmore - I was wondering if the 'fallout' from Sturgis spills out in to the surrounding area in a big way . . .

• Member Contributer

My experience is the whole Black Hills area is crowded during August. Esp. Mount Rushmore.

That's why we're doing a counter-clockwise route.

After we leave SS2, and wind up our way through Gunnison, Mt, Evans, Rocky Mt. National Park, etc. ... we think most of the "movable parking pylons" will have cleared out by then and have taken their sumburns and hangovers back home. (grin)

Cheers! - ET

• Member Contributer

HS, I just checked out the new image gallery. That's sweet! After 14 pages it looks like it can handle quite the large quantity of files & storage room!

I'm guessing that video won't be a problem either? That's the solution solve that I had solved for the idea of where to have everybody post images.

Also have an easy how solved to, plus a pending project for everyone to take on whilst traveling to. What you say? You'll have to wait . . . . :)

• Member Contributer

Well I'm hoping to make this meet again!

Still working out the details of getting the time off, the ride route down, and trying to figure out a trip to San Diego (to visit in-laws and meet up with my family after the meet.) Tentative plan is to be off work from Aug 6 to 28. Gives me 8 days to get down to the meet, 4 days there, a couple days to ride to San Diego. Stay there for 4 days with family, then 5 days allowed to head home. I realize my riding after the meet wont allow for lots of side roads and sightseeing, but I will do what I can. Just wondering how doable the return trip will be in 4 days from San Diego, USA to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

It will be straight slab / Iron Butt on the way home. I would rather do the Iron Butt at the beginning of the trip, but it doesnt work that way.

I am not sure whether I will follow the herd of the PNW contingent riders down to the meet again, or choose a more direct route down in order to spend more time in Colorodo and Utah before the meet. Also not sure how much riding I will be able to do in the company of others after the meet, but I welcome the idea.

Haven't registered yet (still waiting for holidays to be ironed out: long boring story.....) so everything is tentative and in the early stages of trip planning for me at this stage.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the gang again!

• Member Contributer

Well I'm hoping to make this meet again!

I am not sure whether I will follow the herd of the PNW contingent riders down to the meet again, or choose a more direct route down in order to spend more time in Colorodo and Utah before the meet. Also not sure how much riding I will be able to do in the company of others after the meet, but I welcome the idea.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the gang again!

Hoping the stars align for you! You remember what a cop looks like, right? Down there they mark the cars with a big SHERIFF :tour: .

As for your routes & contingents, we don't know that either. I'm planning a direct 3-4 day trek there, then possibly a roundabout return via New Mexico / Arizona / California so who knows, maybe we can spend a few days with ya and get you to San Diego.

Do what you must & looking forward to seeing your reg come through. You are welcome to join us again or we'll meet you there.

I wasn't thinking of Stugis exactly - just Mt Rushmore - I was wondering if the 'fallout' from Sturgis spills out in to the surrounding area in a big way . . .

If you're going to Rushmore, also stop at Crazy Horse. I think it's even more impressive. The scale is unimaginable.

Korczak was an incredible man with unlimited determination.

Crazy_Horse_Memorial_2010-2.jpg

• Member Contributer

What the hay... If I get a new job or not, need to keep my sanity and try to go. So I am now registered and will take a chance the stars will align and I can make it. I will call later on today and book my room.

Didit - I would like to offer up the following as door prizes.

QTY 1 - Stock Sprockets for 6th Gen - 13T( JT339) and 43T Rear ( JT1340)

QTY 1 - Symtec heated kit w/round rocker switch

More to come

Looking forward to meeting new members and seeing some familiar faces from previous meets.

• Member Contributer

Didit - I would like to offer up the following as door prizes.

QTY 1 - $50.00 fuel card ( Shell as example )

QTY 1 - Symtec heated kit w/round rocker switch

Looking forward to meeting new members and seeing some familiar faces from previous meets.

Wow, Very generous of you! Yes, I graciously accept your offerings and will work those into the festivities. Please PM me so we can discuss a few little things.

Heading over to the registration page to post you to the list.

If you're going to Rushmore, also stop at Crazy Horse. I think it's even more impressive. The scale is unimaginable.

Korczak was an incredible man with unlimited determination.

Crazy_Horse_Memorial_2010-2.jpg

A BIG +2 on Crazy Horse ... the scale is just ... well ... off the scale.

And be sure to go into the Visitor Center. It's mostly a big museum and history about the site.

Make you odn't miss the movie about it being built. It's got archival movie that will just make your jaw drop.

TIP: See Mt. Rushmore *first* ... and then the Crazy Horse momument.

I saw CH first and Mt. Rushmore was just kind of puny and "meh" after seeing the "big one."

Cheers! E-Ticket

Ok, So I'm toying around with trying to get to this meet. however, If my wife isn't coming along (still undesided) is any one going to be coming though the Omaha, NE area on your way out to Sum - Sum? I'm looking for a ride companion.

• Member Contributer

Announced today. Iron Maiden - Monday, August 13, Englewood, CO

That happens to be on the way to Montrose for me. Just sayin'.

Run to the Hills . . Run for your Life!!!

If we make Montrose on Sunday, man I could almost see the 282 mile rip to Englewood for the show, then crash and ride back on Tue. morn.

Oh, my. Might just arrange this with you.

Never seen them in concert, but having flash backs from my youth.

giggidy giggidy. gonna search hotels. PM me the concert info.

(head shake) no. (conscience) OH Ya, you gotta live!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

On behalf of myself, a private contributor, didit and Wire My Bike

I am pleased to announce the latest entry into the swag " hope it's my name picked out of the hat " department.

Qty of 1 Dual H4Kit 4500K

Kit: http://www.wiremybike.com/product_info.php?cPath=49&products_id=682

** Make sure you have room on your bike to take it home, or UPS it **

• Member Contributer

Oh boy, Oh Golly! The goodies for the meet just keep getting better & better. 2 new sponsors on board, some most EXCELLENT prizes donated and

3 new sponsors in the pending wing. If you are humming & hawing about this meet, make your decision - book your time off - reserve your room - register!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

After re-reading the thread, I didn't see any mention of the day rides that might be planned (maybe that's privileged information :ph34r: ). Seems like 550 to Durango would be on the list - not sure of what else. There is a "Dangerous Drives" episode on Speed about 550 that was re-run recently - worth catching to get a good look at that road and its challenges.

• Member Contributer

Hummm what episode??? not a easy show to find reruns of here in canada :(

Yeah - the re-run thing can be hit and miss - I had seen it about six months ago, but happened to stumble across it again last night. The episode name is "Million Dollar Highway". It focuses on a father-son team that each drive their fuel tankers from Montrose back and forth to New Mexico on 550, but there are also some segments about 4 sport bikers that regularly ride the road. While an interesting road, it has its challenges - many rock slides (which sent one of the bikers off once) a lack of shoulders and sheer drops in the hundreds of feet, with no guard rails protecting the road. It can be watched for free on Hulu, though you do have to put up with the ads as on TV. The 1st bike segment is at about the 3:00 mark, and then they follow along with them starting at about 15:00, but the whole episode is worth watching to get the flavor of it.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/118386/dangerous-drives-million-dollar-highway#s-p2-so-i0

Archived