Sargent VS Corbin how is your butt doing after your purchase?

MRChickhabit

Sargent and Corbin. both make excellent seats and both have a large following

sadly though, both styles of seating has its flaws and limitations and likewise, both companies have their fans and haters.

Sargent is know for:

ws526a.th.jpg

PolyTec seat pans

Super Cell Atomic Foam suspension

An under-the-seat storage area

Corbin is known for:

vfr98.th.jpg

FIBERTECH™ BASEPAN

COMFORT CELL® FOAM

ERGONOMIC SHAPING

CORBIN BACKREST SYSTEM

---

So tell me, how is your seat holding up?

what was the break in period?

do you regret your purchase?

can you ride longer with your new seat?

did you buy another brand and if so, what was it?

why did you choose them over sargent or corbin?

how long have you had it?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I'm on my 3rd corbin over 3 bikes, Two I bought new and one bought used over Ebay. I just like the general seat layout shape and I can ride waaay longer than the stock.

I have had no problems with tears, fit or any real issues to mess with , I like them. I'm up to try a Sargent sometime.

Break in?

- 1st one took a while but ended up fine.

-2nd one on my 4th was a hard mofo. It got "softer" over years time, but never got that soft. Still better than stock.

- 3rd one present on my 5th gen bought used, so someone else did the hard work for me, it is about perfect of soft vs hard. A good all day saddle.

I have a Sargent seat on my VFR. It's for the RC-51, as that's the tail section that I have fitted. Compared to the stock RC-51 seat, it's much more comfortable, and doesn't limit my mobility in any way when seated on my VFR. When compared to the stock VFR seat, I'd say that it still has a little more padding, and is slightly more comfortable, but that's just from memory, as I've had the Sargent mounted for the better part of two years now. It's not really showing any wear that I can see, and it didn't really take too much to break in. Sargent also gave a 10% military discount, can't vouch for Corbin, as I never contacted them.

• Member Contributer

I have a Sargent on my 07 and a Corbin on my 93. I definitely prefer the Corbin because it feels more solid and provides better support in my opinion. The Sargent is a comfy seat but I tend to slide forward into the tank more.

Rollin

I have a Sargent on my 07 and a Corbin on my 93. I definitely prefer the Corbin because it feels more solid and provides better support in my opinion. The Sargent is a comfy seat but I tend to slide forward into the tank more.

Rollin

Get some StompGrips for tyhe sides of your tank. They'll help you from sliding forward, and crushing the "family jewels". Even if your Corbin seat keeps you firmly in-place, they'll still help you grip the tank during high braking situations, as well as help lock you into the bike during high angle cornering.

I have a Sargent on my 6th Gen. It is doing very well and break-in was really not an issue. Have about 4000 miles on the seat and still feels like the day I took it out of the box-Good.

Now with that in mind, I really didn't see a huge difference between the Sargent and the stock seat. The stock really doesn't fit me all that badly. My reasoning for buying the new one was this summer's trip to TN and NC. I came off a Goldwing to the VFR and was concerned about the long trip down and back from home. As it turned out, it was a piece of cake on the VFR no matter what seat is on it.

Is the Sargent better, yep. But not alot.

That's probably more info than you were looking for, but there it is.

• Member Contributer

I had a Corbin on my ST1100. Did not like it. Poor fit, too wide, seat "pocket" was in the wrong place for me. Replaced it with a Travelcade Stealth that I absolutely loved! Unfortunately, Travelcade doesn't seem to offer a seat for the VFR, so I bought the Sargent. Nicely made. Looks like new after 15K miles. Much better than the stock seat that jammed me into the tank. It has some pressure points that bother me towards the end of a long day.

• Member Contributer

I had a Corbin on my YZF 750R and it was a bit better than the stock seat but not as much as you might think...the shape was better but it was Waaayyyy too hard, was very heavy, was a PITA to put back on and to take off, and the leather cover was very slippery. It was well made though. I have a Sargent on my 6th gen VFR and its better than the stock seat but it takes about two hours or so, to see any real difference in comfort. The Sargent is very well made and still looks as good (20,000 miles later) as the day I took it out of the box. I'm going to send it to Spencers seats as soon as I get the time, to get the small issues corrected with it though. Those issues, for me anyway are; the seat tends to force me onto the back of the tank and hotspots (right at the hip joints) develop after a few hours on the interstate. Those aside, the Sargent seat is really good and will allow you to put in 5-7 hour, 500 mile, days on the interstate without too much drama at all. In the twisties I find, there are no issues at all with the seat.

Now, the above comments are only relevent to the riders portion of the seat...the passenger portion (as relayed to me by multiple ladies and my son) seems to be good for only around two hours, give or take a little, depending on passenger size...it seems to be too thin and too narrow to be of much use when touring. I also find that the VFR in general forces a passenger foreward onto the riders back...the extra weight and pressure gets bothersome, to me anyway, very quickly.

I've had a couple of Corbins and am now using a Sargent.... I'll have to +1 what has been said about the sliding forward on the Sargent due to the lack of the front angle(not that I have that problem, since I sit up against the tank all the time anyway)....... as for comfort I like the Sargent it's a all day saddle for me where the Corbin is not, about 5 hours. and the stock was about an hour and a half to two hours........

It's been a while since I've seen a Corbin, but the ones I owned the base was made of metal and heavy... and the Sargent's is plastic of sorts and lighter with a storage pocket built in.

I'm not a fan of Corbin whatsoever! They have what I consider some of the Worst CS of any company out there, also I prefer to remove weight from my bike with a mod. The Corbin adds lbs as it's Pig Pan! :dry:

I prefer Sargent, 100 times better CS and I have a Sargent AZZ. The foam did break down on my Sargent and comfort went to shitz, but that was somewhere between 32-45k miles. I sent the seat bake to Sargent and they installed new foam and returned it within a few weeks like new again! Cost was $146 shipped for the new foam.

It really doesn't matter who you like, it's who your BUTT likes! If you have a Corbin butt no other brand will provide better comfort, same with Sargent or any other brand. One will just work much better than any other and it all depends on your butt's liking.

BR

PS on the Sargent sliding, Sargent offers several cover materials one slick one grippier, they will also custom shape any seat you like. :beer:

This thread is exactly what I was looking for: just got my VFR700 in a useable state and put about 400 miles on it this weekend... and after about 120 miles or so, the rear end wasn't feeling so cushy.

Does anyone have a Corbin or Sargent seat on a 2nd gen bike? What's the verdict compared to the stock seat? Could I see a picture or two?

I recently found a cheap used Corbin seat with a faded seat cover. If I recovered it, would it affect how comfortable it is? I recovered my stock seat and I am really happy with how it looks... but I'm not opposed to buying the Corbin seat and recovering it. This would allow me to maintain the stock look / color of the bike, but have a more comfortable seat for longer rides.

Thoughts?

• Member Contributer

It really doesn't matter who you like, it's who your BUTT likes! If you have a Corbin butt no other brand will provide better comfort, same with Sargent or any other brand. One will just work much better than any other and it all depends on your butt's liking.[/b]

BR

You hit the nail on the head. After perusing motorcyle threads for a bunch of years and reading all these seat threads, it does come down to ----

You got a Corbin butt or a Sargent butt, and it aint gonna flip back to one or the other. Guess I got the Corbin butt. :biggrin:

It really doesn't matter who you like, it's who your BUTT likes! If you have a Corbin butt no other brand will provide better comfort, same with Sargent or any other brand. One will just work much better than any other and it all depends on your butt's liking.[/b]

BR

You hit the nail on the head. After perusing motorcyle threads for a bunch of years and reading all these seat threads, it does come down to ----

You got a Corbin butt or a Sargent butt, and it aint gonna flip back to one or the other. Guess I got the Corbin butt. :biggrin:

but how do you know which it is? 4-600 is alot to spend only to find out that my butt is wrong.

BR

but how do you know which it is? 4-600 is alot to spend only to find out that my butt is wrong.

Which can you sit on longer........... A park bench(corbin), or a lounge chair(Sargent).

• Member Contributer

BR

Find a buddy that has one and try it or buy used off Ebay. There are other options as well --- Spencer (Great Day to ride), Saddlemen, Russel Day long saddles.

If your looking to go cheap I have heard Spencer is a very good way to go.

• Member Contributer

Those issues, for me anyway are; the seat tends to force me onto the back of the tank and hotspots (right at the hip joints) develop after a few hours on the interstate.

Exactly how my Sargent is.

• Member Contributer

Those issues, for me anyway are; the seat tends to force me onto the back of the tank and hotspots (right at the hip joints) develop after a few hours on the interstate.

Exactly how my Sargent is.

Me too. I bought a Sargent thinking it would solve all my comfort issues - it didn't. Three hours tops and I'm wishing I could get off of it. For me it's about the same as the stocker, with the added downside that I can't get the seat cowl on it without fear of breaking it (6th gen). Seats seem to be like shoes - not necessarily good or bad, it's just that they fit some people but not others. The bummer is you can't tell how it will fit you without buying it. If I had it to do over, I'd look for a cheap used seat and have it modified to my taste. Might cost a bit more, but probably a better chance of the result I was looking for. I will give the Sargent high marks for fit and finish - it does look good on the bike and the storage compartment is a plus.

• Member Contributer

I own a Sargent as I stated above...however, I do have experience with Spencers modified seats (great day to ride) and if I had to do it again...Spencer would be the first stop. My room mate had the seat re-done (seat lowered one inch, narrowed in the front, rear dished and widened slightly, riding posture flattened, and the supracor long distance modification was done) the on her old Breva 750 and it was superb when she got it back. (she has since sold the bike and bought a Ninja 250)...had the seat on it re-done by Spencers too.

Total bill for the Breva seat was $117.00 including shipping, which round trip was three days...it was every bit as good as my Sargent and MUCH cheaper.Thats why I'm thinking of having him "fix" my Sargent.

• Member Contributer

I took a different route and bought a beadrider seat cover. It has improved the stock seat for me, particularly the airflow factor.

• Member Contributer

My Sargent enabled week long tours without my butt being the weak link. Before the Sargent I was good for one 300 mile day on tour before aggravation followed by serious discomfort. By day three or four I was into searing pain! The Sargent solved that problem completely.

When I bought my KLR the stocker was reportedly better than other OEM DS seats. But it did not work for me after multiple days on the road/dirt. I tried a Spencer Mod on the stocker...but not there yet. I went to Sargent again and it is much improved but not as good as the VFR Sargent. After three weeks on an Alaska tour my butt was hurting.

• Member Contributer

This discussion doesn't mean much if folks are identifying what body type/size they are. Big butts on heavy bodies need large seating areas to decrease lbs/sq in pressure, light weght bodies with small butts, not so much. I fall into the latter category and the sargent has been great for me...I have one on my VFR and on my ST. Both for the same reason: gets the seating area more horizontal and textured cover work together to have my butt stay put. I also have stomp grip on the tank for aggressive cornering and braking.

I suggest you post up for a member in your area who would consider going for a hour or two ride with you and who's willing to swap seats for that ride. :fing02:

I suggest you post up for a member in your area who would consider going for a hour or two ride with you and who's willing to swap seats for that ride. :fing02:

thats an excellent idea.

anybody near riverside, ca? preferably on a fifth gen

• Member Contributer

I bought the Sargent seat with the yellow piping to match my 2000 yellow bike. It looks really nice and is kind to my butt. To be honest, the stock seat seemed pretty comfortable for short rides.

If you really want to pamper your butt, try an Airhawk pad. This thing is truly amazing. Everyone that has tried my Airhawk has gone out and bought one. The Airhawk technology from a medical company and is designed for people that must sit in a wheelchair all day long. A huge advantage is that I can switch it in a minute on the three bikes I currently own. For a short ride I don't bother, but I definetely put it on for any all day ride or trip. Well worth the $180.00!

JIm in Boulder, CO

Archived