Program extra HISS keys

zRoYz

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, just an update, i ordered 2 new blank keys and made the ghetto lead and have successfully coded in 2 spare keys Slol.gif going to keep master key in house and use one of the new keys as bike key, master is bent and warped Ssad.gif. this process works well saved like $150 by doing myself cheers for info much appreciated

Guest easyaze

First of all thanks to the contributors for the great tutorials on how to program new keys.

I have just successfully programmed an additional 2 keys (3 total now) on my 2002 VFR800.

The whole thing was very easy, but I was a bit nervous about my small alligator clips on the crank position sensor and given the task again, I would look at the sensor first and possibly get smaller alligator clips or find a clip to fit a bit better.

Now I have gotten to putting the tank back into position and realised there is a (breather?) hose with a white end that looks like it should be connected to something. Am I missing something and has the hose come loose or is there a breather hose under the tank?

Cheers,

easyaze

Edited by easyaze

gidday, the white end should be a 90 degree connector, that breather hose is connected to another hose that runs from back right hand corner of tank down inside of frame and under engine to left side of bike if i recall correctly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

zRoYz- Nice write up on how to get around the red key as most dealers will tell you that once you loose your programming key ( red key) you can no longer get anymore keys for your bike ( This is not the case for any bike, I will get to that soon)

kaldek (And everyone else)- not really a good idea to show a picture of your key on the net, it is not hard to make a key from that picture especially for someone who know's what they are doing, you don't want to make it easier for someone to take your bike.

It did this for both of the old transponders in the new keys. After removing the ghetto lead, the new keys did not work. It seems to say on other forums that the programming phase actually DOES write to the key's memory with the ECU's unique password. Ergo, it looks like only blank transponders will work unless there is a way an existing transponder can be overwritten.

Looks like the keys that come with chips in them may me the only viable solution?

When the transponders are programmed to the bike ( or even cars) these chips are locked to that specific bike, there is a password that is written to the chip which stops other bikes or even cloning machines from reading the key, the key can be reused if you know this password. For those of you wanting to know more google Hitag2.

If you loose all your keys the bike shops will tell you that you have to replace your ECU, antenna and all the locks, these cost upwards of $3,500 as far as I know, you can't replace just the ECU as the antenna around the lock is coded to it. There are some locksmiths that can generate a key for you if you supply the ECU, there is a way of getting the info needed to make a working key ( I'm not going to go into this) This way costs a fraction of what the dealers will charge.

As for how many keys you can have, even though this has already been answered, with the ECU that I have there is only enough room for 4 keys.

• Member Contributer

kaldek (And everyone else)- not really a good idea to show a picture of your key on the net, it is not hard to make a key from that picture especially for someone who know's what they are doing, you don't want to make it easier for someone to take your bike.

That is highly, highly unlikely. It's not a Ducati Panegale S, it's a ten year old VFR!

So, someone copying my key based on my video and then tracking me down to steal my bike (which they will know has been in pieces and had lots of problems - based on my other videos)? Nah, there are easier targets on every street corner in Melbourne.

Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's going to happen. Risk management is my day job, so I do lots of things people think are crazy because either A) the possible outcome is negligible or B) the likelihood is extremely low.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm still not sure. I lost my spare key to my 2004. I bought the VFR brand new in Washington State. Can I just get another key ground or is it chipped or coded or something else? Need to know as quickly as possible. I used to have that little aluminum tag with the number on it and can't find that either. Stuff gets lost around here.

Thanks

Ha ha! Found it. After checking my pants four or five times, tearing up the house, I turned my suspicions on my cat. I suspected that he swept it off the table and was playing with it while my wife and I were at a nightclub. He remained stoned faced despite my ever more tricky line of questioning, but he simply would not confess so I considered waterboarding him. Then my wife reminded me that I had been out to a friend's party and had drank a few beers. I was in my my truck so my bike key might have got tangled up in my truck keys and it might be out there somewhere. I rode out this morning and and after a time I finally found it in the middle of this old paved country road where my truck had been parked. I have since apologized profusely to my cat and have put the electrodes away.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ilium007

This worked fine for me today. If anyone in Australia wants a ghetto cable I have one here I am happy to loan out - I can send via Aus Post and you can send it back when you are done.

Photo%2011-04-12%205%2022%2053%20PM_sml.png

Photo%2011-04-12%204%2005%2007%20PM_sml.png

Photo%2011-04-12%204%2004%2059%20PM_sml.png

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi guys just about to copy my keys

Made my ghetto leads and all

And mine is totally different to u guys

No red plug

Colours of the wires are different please help.

Take a look

2005 vfr800

post-28065-0-55899100-1383976947.jpg

post-28065-0-13242700-1383976980.jpg

post-28065-0-63229200-1383977011.jpg

Edited by N2v

You need to lift tank the wiring you want is between frame & throttle bodies & is with the big grey fuel injection plug. You have the wiring that runs outside of frame coming from R/R etc.

ilim007 has posted pics above of fuel injection plug & red plug that is in that area.

• 3 years later...
  • Member Contributer
On 8/16/2011 at 4:04 PM, zRoYz said:

I know US models don't have HISS but Australian, UK. etc models do & because I only had one key & needed a spare just in case this is what I did (just so people know if you lose a HISS key & don't have a spare the only fix is buy complete ECU, key, barrel from Honda unless you kept the silver tag that came with new bike which has a serial number, that is only number Honda can do a replacement key with if all original keys lost & that key has to come from factory).

I can't take credit for this procedure as was found doing search & asking questions but the info came from other models with HISS & couldn't find anything VFR specific so I'm writing this because was done on my 04 VFR800 without a problem. My local Honda dealer charges $50AU to program a key & $58AU for blank key so that is $108 total, It cost me all up $25.45.

1. Buy a blank HISS key, these are different from a normal key only due to chip that is located in plastic part but they look the same as a none HISS key, I found them on Ebay for $25USD delivered (there normally over $50 here in Australia)

2. Take your new key blank with your existing key & have it cut to work (before you bother to program make sure the new key when cut works in all locks because there are a limited number of keys your allowed to program per bike)

3. Go to an electronics store & buy a 1W 100R Carbon Film 5% Resistor now this is where I went ghetto because you can bother to make the special Honda lead which if your able to buy costs over $100 buying clips & plugs & do soldering but I couldn't be bothered because I was only going to use this lead once so I had electronic jumper leads which are simply the alligator clips each end of a wire & you want the small alligator clip type due to needing to get inside bike plug limited space. The good thing about buying these leads is you can place them in your tool kit & use for other things when needed.

4. VFR800 plug used is Ignition Pulse Generator (red plug RHS bike located same place the fuel injection large grey plugs are positioned), this plug has only two wires the solid yellow is your positive + & the other duel color is your negative - feed.

gallery_2353_2169_9414.jpg

VTEC IPGP Ignition Pulse Generator plug (red) location

5. Unplug the red plug & the male part of plug that feeds back to the ECU is what you need to connect too so using you small alligator clips so you can get to terminals in plug clip them on making shore you don't have them touching each other (the small test alligator leads have plastic covers to shield them or you can just strip some of the plastic shielding off the wire if you want after the plug if you can't get what you have into the red plug).

6. Yellow wire from red plug you use other end of alligator lead & clip on your 1W 100R resistor & then get another lead & connect to other side of resistor (remember I did say ghetto lead) that leaves you with an alligator clip to connect to your battery positive terminal +

7. The other wire you connect to the negative terminal on battery -

8. Turn the ignition key to ON using your original key. The immobilizer indicator (HISS) light should come on and stay on (if it starts flashing after 10 seconds there is a fault in your system).

9. Now disconnect the positive + battery connector for 5 seconds before reattaching it to the battery terminal. The indicator should now come on for 2 seconds then begin to flash repeatedly four times. This indicates the system is now in registration mode. At this point all previous keys except the one in the ignition have cleared or cancelled from the ECU memory, so if you have any extra spares they will need to be re-registered.

10. Turn the ignition to OFF and remove the original HISS key, put it a couple of meters away from the bike so it doesn't interfere with the transponder in the new key.

11. Insert the new key and the ignition to ON. The immobiliser indicator light should come on for 4 seconds then begin to flash repeatedly four times. This indicates the system has registered the new key. Success!

12. If you have any extra keys you want to register, repeat step 10-11. Don't put the original key you started the process with in as its already registered.

13. Once you have registered your spare keys, turn the ignition to OFF, remove the ghetto lead and reconnect your red plug sensor.

14. Now check all your keys start your bike.

NOTE: make sure with the ghetto lead you don't short out any connection to bike frame, if your clumsy rap it all in electrical tape & if your fussy make a lead with solder connections & shrink sleeve.

thanks for the info and most importantly the picture. added two keys today.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Top job, made the ghetto lead and cut then programmed in a genuine blank Honda HISS key as a spare.

Worked brilliantly!

I then tried to programme in a cut non-HISS key with an ID46 chip from eBay glued to it. The chip was advertised as being for Honda HISS. 

This time the key did not programme in, and the 4 regular blinking HISS light sequence was different, The final blink of the 4 was spaced out from the first 3 flashes.

Unsurprisingly this key does not start the bike.....so I threw the chip away and keep it on my keyring to unlock the tank and seat.

Any ideas why it didn't work?

This is the chip I bought

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Blank-Key-Transponder-ID46-Immobiliser-Chip-For-Honda-Nissan-Peugeot-Citroen/192730750474?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649  

• 3 weeks later...

ok

i've been offered a gen 5 bike with hiss fitted, there is no ecu with this bike, i can get one for reasonable money, what i am wondering is:

is the transponder antenna (hiss ring) the part that's coded to the key or is the key coded to the ecu & just uses the hiss ring as a gateway/method to transmit the transponder info in the key to the ecu to allow a start?

does anyone know please. i do a lot of this work on cars for a living, but never done a bike one

• Member Contributer

I'm just repeating what I've heard, but I believe the HISS ring is just an antenna--all of the programming is contained in the ECU.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

I agree with JZH, the ring is the antenna only, and the ECU has to be instructed to accept the code transmitted from the IP46 chip mounted in the key. I'd be very careful buying an ECU UNLESS it comes with at least one known-to-function chip/key. To program acceptance of a new key, you first need to have an accepted key. I presume Honda will sell you a new ECU plus keys as a set. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much for this information, as a new VFR devotee that only came with one key I was nervous that I would lose it, and be up for an expensive lesson.  I bought a key from EBay, had it cut locally, made up the lead and successfully programmed the new key this weekend.  The following YouTube video was also helpful.

https://youtu.be/db0ee6u7CjQ

I am happy to lend my lead to anyone, I'm in Tauranga, NZ, and can post it, or if anyone just wants a resistor I have a spare.  Feeling a lot more relaxed now about the key situation.

• Like 1