Clear Clutch Window

Veefer800Canuck

As I was screwing the cheesy plastic oil filler cap on, I was wishing for a nice billet aluminum one. The last one I bought from EBAY claiming to fit "most hondas" actually doesn't fit a VFR. It was too small, so I sold it again.

SO, I did some digging and found that it's an M24x3 thread, and a BMW F650 uses the same thread for it's filler cap, so I took a chance and ordered one.

There are some on EBAY for the RC45, but they are a hex head, and I wanted a "normal" top, like the stocker. So here is is:

gallery_554_564_27581.png

Got it from Pro-Bolt in the UK, as interestingly enough, the USA site clearly states that they do NOT ship outside the USA.

http://www.pro-bolt.com/

P/N LOFCB10S and I'll update once it gets in to see if it fits. ₤17.49 including shipping, ex VAT.

Got the part today! All the way from the UK, that was fast!!!

Comes with an O-ring, so you don't have to re-use your old one. It wasn't identical to the pic in the ebay auction, but that's fine. I really didn't want it drilled for safety wire anyhow.

So for the 5th gen, 6th gen, and RC45, a BMW F650 oil filler cap WILL work. Part number quoted above is legit!

gallery_554_564_478700.jpg

IMG 0303

gallery_554_564_246529.jpg

IMG 0305

I'd stick a googley faced picture of the "Doctor'" in there and people can watch him spin. but then you have to buy the matching helmet, of course. You can have him sign the window if you can show it to him at the next Laguna Seca Moto GP.

Beck

95 VFR

Edited by Beck

It just dawned on me that you'll probably be changing your oil more frequently.

Can you get in there to clean the glass?

Why would he change his oil more now than before?

The silver ring you see in the pic is fastened to the cover with all those small screws, and is sealed with a large o ring. The ring can be removed and replaced in just a couple minutes.

The silver ring you see in the pic is fastened to the cover with all those small screws, and is sealed with a large o ring. The ring can be removed and replaced in just a couple minutes.

I'm guessing it might not look as cool if the window is covered in brown sludge :ohmy:

What sort of oil would you use anyway? :goofy:

Brian

I think he's inferring that since I can now "see" how dirty the oil is, I will be changing it more often?

Anyhow, except for road trips stateside, I rarely put on enough km per year to warrant changing the oil more frequently than annually, and that probably won't change.

And I use mobil 1 which I find to be darker from the jug when new, whereas other oils are more golden tan.

I never use colour as an indicator anyway, just time and mileage.

I'm guessing it might not look as cool if the window is covered in brown sludge :ohmy:

What sort of oil would you use anyway? :goofy:

Brian

The original clutch cover was clean as a whistle inside when I removed it to put this one on, so I doubt I'll be building up any sludge. Mobil 1 15w50 car oil. Non-energy conserving.

What would really set that off would be to get the clutch bolts chromed so they really show up spinning.

They are cad plated from the factory which looks fine by me. I have heard of bolts snapping In use after chroming because of hydrogen embrittlement. It can be done, but the metallurgy of the bolt before chroming has to be known, and the process controlled to avoid hydrogen embrittlement. In other words, not this cat. Gold cad plating is fine!!!

• Member Contributer

Well, in the video you can see a sheen of oil drops on the inside, I was thinking that could get worse with time (like folks said).

But yeah, if you can just just pop off the ring that will do it.

Very cool.

As I was screwing the cheesy plastic oil filler cap on, I was wishing for a nice billet aluminum one. The last one I bought from EBAY claiming to fit "most hondas" actually doesn't fit a VFR. It was too small, so I sold it again.

SO, I did some digging and found that it's an M24x3 thread, and a BMW F650 uses the same thread for it's filler cap, so I took a chance and ordered one.

There are some on EBAY for the RC45, but they are a hex head, and I wanted a "normal" top, like the stocker. So here is is:

gallery_554_564_27581.png

Got it from Pro-Bolt in the UK, as interestingly enough, the USA site clearly states that they do NOT ship outside the USA.

http://www.pro-bolt.com/

P/N LOFCB10S and I'll update once it gets in to see if it fits. ₤17.49 including shipping, ex VAT.

Got the part today! All the way from the UK, that was fast!!!

Comes with an O-ring, so you don't have to re-use your old one. It wasn't identical to the pic in the ebay auction, but that's fine. I really didn't want it drilled for safety wire anyhow.

So for the 5th gen, 6th gen, and RC45, a BMW F650 oil filler cap WILL work. Part number quoted above is legit!

gallery_554_564_478700.jpg

IMG 0303

gallery_554_564_246529.jpg

IMG 0305

Soooo, just to clarify, the one you have pictured here installed on your new spiffy clutch cover is one you ordered from Pro Bolt?? It looks sick, I like it!!!

Soooo, just to clarify, the one you have pictured here installed on your new spiffy clutch cover is one you ordered from Pro Bolt?? It looks sick, I like it!!!

Yes, Pro-Bolt P/N LOFCB10S which is for a BMW F650. It comes in several other colours also.

The "S" suffix is the colour, in my case, silver.

Part No: LOFCB10

Description: Aluminium Oil Filler Cap BMW F650/Etc

Thread Diameter: 24mm

Thread Pitch: 3.00mm

Weight Gms: 35.20

Price: $16.50

http://www.probolt-usa.com/Products/000300140015

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Nice see thru cover there.....

Been thinking along the same lines for my 4th gen along with the SC44 slipper clutch am hoping to install around xmas this year.

Am thinking of removing the face leaving a usable edge of clutch engine cover and replace with glass or what my local Alu. welder suggests.

What material did Seb use for the glass?

Was hoping to use composite materials/Araldite or what i find will work to stick the glass on and a yet undecided trim cover to give a clean finish to the outer ring surface. The clutch cover is not under lot of oil pressure so i don't see the need to weld any metal parts or use bolts? But i might be over simplifying things... will see...

It is proven space age technology after all....

Was fortunate enough to be able to look over a Russian space ship last month which seals well in space using resin and fiber matting in the mix....

Russian earth landing module.. Simple computers being updated among other update work done here on isle of man. Hopeful relaunch after refit...

Or i guess if Seb is thinking of selling a few i could well save myself a little work and buy a 4th gen version ready to roll??

Also had the oil cover from pro bolt as mentioned on thread in UK but for my 4th gen. Was no problem.. Honda fitment.. Have lock wired it on as it was a little loose fitting....

Edited by B4D80Y

I designed the rings especially for the 4th gen cover. By chance, they fit a variety of other covers as well.

I would love the opportunity to make a cover for you Badboy, shoot me a PM if you'd like to discuss some details.

Yeah, saw that post saying there would be 2 made.......

Actually Seb made more than two.

Nice installation Rob, as always, and good find on the oil filler cap - I had the same problem, the one I ordered didn't fit, so I'll get one of these ones now. And it kind of matches my silver Traxxion Dynamics preload adjusters too :fing02:

FTP2.jpg

Thanks Mur.

And What about the "bike who parks"?

We're still waiting for it to move under it's own power for the first time in a decade!!!

It continues to park, but every now and then it gets some attention... actually Seb should take some credit there, as its his occasional push (and his engineering talents!) that have been driving the more recent work on the thing.

Right now I can't even get to it as other things fill my workshop and free time, but we'll get there :)

• 3 weeks later...