Clear Clutch Window

Veefer800Canuck

As you may know, we here on VFRd have our very own tame Rocket Surgeon on staff.

We keep him in a specially prepared titanium cage, as it would not be fair to all the MotoGp teams if we just let him roam around and make stuff out of metal all the time.

Some say, he can weld an engine block back together using only an old soup tin, and the intense stare from his eyes.

All we know is, he's called SebSpeed!

a25e14e0.jpg

Back in February of last year, this thread popped to the surface of the most recent posts list:

http://www.vfrdiscus...post__p__686207

I was intrigued, and followed the thread with great interest. And then he said this:

Getting there... as you can see, there are 2 in progress. One will be "available" upon completion.

Well, that's just like hanging a red hanky in front of a bull. Guaranteed to get a result. You're only egging him on, after all. :lobby:

Sure as shoot, this pic tips the scales:

6-17-11006.jpg

So some messaging occurred, followed by a trip to the post office, then some waiting, then work and life happened, and Sebastian is waiting impatiently, pacing back and forth in his titanium cage for me to get off my duff and install the damn thing. :bliss:

Only I thought it would be a good time to have a look at my clutch, as it hasn't been checked since the day it rolled off the assembly line back in 1999, when Prince was singing that catchy song of his. :media:

So some Ebaying occurred, and a couple more trips to the post office, followed by more waiting. By this time, Sebastian is gnawing at the bars of his cage. :3:

Fast forward a few more weeks, and I slipped this photo under the door of his cage. I about thought I was gonna lose my hand:

gallery_554_564_1557774.jpg

More work and life happened (hey, a guy's gotta eat, unlike Seb who gets his daily rations of sauteed camshafts and roasted crank bearings prepared and stuffed through the chute of his cage by poorly paid illegal immigrants because no-one else will do the job).

Then I tried to disguise our skullduggery by throwing it out nonchalantely in this thread, to see how many of the class were paying attention:

http://www.vfrdiscus...lutch-and-grab/

Apparently, only the Canadians and Yrpeens are actually literate, because KKen and some Rossi? (Rosso) guy from that Yrpeen country that's a always sinking into the sea actually said anything. I thought they'd be busy shovelling snow and checking out all the leaky dykes dikes, but I guess not.

SO, seeing as being obtuse worked about as well for me as pruning the old member list did, I will just throw it out into the blazing sun for all to see, and maybe even let Seb out of his cage for a few minutes to have a look. But I'm not responsible if he pees on your tires, let's get that straight right now. :owned:

gallery_554_564_1510018.jpg

gallery_554_564_1652331.jpg

gallery_554_564_433352.jpg

gallery_554_564_5004.jpg

gallery_554_564_781447.jpg

gallery_554_564_6538.jpg

gallery_554_564_1146893.jpg

gallery_554_564_150573.jpg

gallery_554_564_584937.jpg

CLICK ON PIC FOR VIDEO:

th_IMG_0235-1.jpg

gallery_554_564_1116444.jpg

IMG 0237

gallery_554_564_789775.jpg

IMG 0238

Good boy Seb, now back in your cage, the MotoGp race from Brno is on, that's a good boy, here's a nice soft 520 O-ring chain for you to chew on. :laughing6-hehe:

• Like 4

I'm not amazed with sebs work because it is always quality, the TLR guys also did that modification as friend has one on his TLR, I also like the heat paint crinkle finish :fing02:

Veefer800Canuck how do you keep your bike so clean, I have spent weeks just trying to get grit from parts of motor while I'm waiting parts & compared to yours mine is ghetto.

How do I keep the bike so clean?

Well, the rebuild two winters ago sure helped. At one point, the complete engine, with rads, was sitting all alone on the centerstand with the exhaust system propped up by a few blocks of wood, and the intake attached to the top of the engine, plus the entire wiring harness draped over it. And that was it. Nothing else there. Nothing.

As everything went on, it got cleaned or painted or powdercoated beforehand. Since then, it's just been regular washings.

And as I was screwing the cheesy plastic oil filler cap on, I was wishing for a nice billet aluminum one. The last one I bought from EBAY claiming to fit "most hondas" actually doesn't fit a VFR. It was too small, so I sold it again.

SO, I did some digging and found that it's an M24x3 thread, and a BMW F650 uses the same thread for it's filler cap, so I took a chance and ordered one.

There are some on EBAY for the RC45, but they are a hex head, and I wanted a "normal" top, like the stocker. So here is is:

gallery_554_564_27581.png

Got it from Pro-Bolt in the UK, as interestingly enough, the USA site clearly states that they do NOT ship outside the USA.

http://www.pro-bolt.com/

P/N LOFCB10S and I'll update once it gets in to see if it fits. ₤17.49 including shipping, ex VAT.

Oh, and the wrinkle black paint came from a can, usually used for engine valvecovers and the like:

http://www.vhtpaint.com/wrinkleplus.html

I was originally going to remove the oil sight window and have the cover powdercoated, but Seb had applied a special aircraft sealant to the backside of the cover, just to be 110% sure the weld would not leak, which it probably wouldn't, but anyhow.......better safe than, well you know.

The upshot was that the sealant can't take the 400'F necessary for powdercoat, so I masked and prepped the cover for the paint, and proceeded as per the destructions on the can.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, saw that post saying there would be 2 made.......

good to see it found a good, proud home :fing02:

Am saving my pennies for a higher goal :biggrin:

• Like 1

So, this makes me the Stig's "fat american somewhat scientific cousin twice-removed" then, eh? :laughing6-hehe:

a25e14e0.jpg

Very glad you like it Rob, you did a nice job on the install. :fing02: I'll be making more once I save up the cost of having another run of rings made.

Lolz. Glad you liked the stig reference.

The welding with an old soup tin thing!!! Sometimes I crack me up!!!

Hehehe.

We'll see how the boys in Nelson like it this weekend. Supposed to be 30'c all wknd, so hopefully the lexan window don't melt!!!

:-)

We'll see how the boys in Nelson like it this weekend. Supposed to be 30'c all wknd, so hopefully the lexan window don't melt!!!

Looking forward to the report!

Although I doubt you'll have any issues, we can always reincarnate the cover as a replaceable case saver. :smile:

Just wanted to add, 2500 km to BC and back last weekend, NO oil leaks from the cover anywhere. Paint was still smelling a bit on the way there at each stop, despite baking it in the oven for an hour at 200'F before installation (without the lexan window and ring installed) but by the time I got home, the smell was almost gone.

Two thumbs up!

And yes, Auspanol, the bike got very dirty. Bug city. Washed it when I got to Nelson, and when I got back home again. So it does leave the garage once and awhile! I am at nearly 80,000 km now and my rear tire is down to the wear indicator bars.

• Member Contributer

Looking forward to the report!

Although I doubt you'll have any issues, we can always reincarnate the cover as a replaceable case saver. :smile:

The Nelson attendees were drawn to the clear clutch window like moths to a flame - as we jostled for position and banged heads leaning over to get a closer look at such an unusual piece of mechanical artistry. I doubt every attendee looked at every bike, but I'll guarantee everyone saw this one. This mod stands out in a class of its own. Nicely done! :fing02:

The Nelson attendees were drawn to the clear clutch window like moths to a flame - as we jostled for position and banged heads leaning over to get a closer look at such an unusual piece of mechanical artistry. I doubt every attendee looked at every bike, but I'll guarantee everyone saw this one. This mod stands out in a class of its own. Nicely done! :fing02:

Very cool, I'm stoked that you guys like it! :biggrin: