5th gen "coil on plug" setup.

Ranger77

• Member Contributer

It's all good, if you get to it that's cool, but if not I've went ahead and wired them in... they can be changed but I think I'm good :)

By the way... I grew up south of Red Deer but live in the BC Okanagan now, if you're ever out here for a ride let me know and I could try and join you. That is if I get my project finished...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

As a heads up to those considering this mod on their 4th gen VFR, I posted in the "4th gen coil on plug" thread about the issues I'm having possibly related to using GSXR coils.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/70686-4th-gen-coil-on-plug-mod-split-thread/page-20

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I extended from the stock coil wires.

So as to not mix them up, I only did 1 at a time.

I used heat-shrinkable crimp spade connectors, soldered and heat-shrink the splices from the COP harness to my own wiring, and used split-loom on everything.

Here's my experience with this mod, starts on post 12... Many Thanks to RangerScott and Veefer for the inspiration and information...

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/75807-cop-for-5th-gen-engine/page-2#entry908523

• 9 months later...

Once again... sorry for refloating a topic long forgotten, but I am starting this way on my 1984 VF1000R.

Can anyone tell me which ones will fit my bike (long or short ones?). So far I have located a set of CBR600F4 (Denso129700-3881) and a set of GSXR 600 (Denso 129700-3440)

From reading the thread, I can conclude the 3440 are shorter than the 3881. I´ve read from a fellow group member that there is a radiator distance issue with the front plugs.

My question is, will the short ones fit the VF1000R?

Cheers.

Carlos

• 7 months later...

Except the mileage data, do we have some data telling us that there is some kind of up-side to this?

Hotter spark = lower fuel consumption? (At least in the O2 sensor vfr)

Dyno numbers?

Coolant temp?

Anything?

I want, but I need a reason to actually allow my brain to think that Honda did compromise on the spark side of engineering...

Except the mileage data, do we have some data telling us that there is some kind of up-side to this?

Hotter spark = lower fuel consumption? (At least in the O2 sensor vfr)

Dyno numbers?

Coolant temp?

Anything?

I want, but I need a reason to actually allow my brain to think that Honda did compromise on the spark side of engineering...

Whether the coil is a half inch away from the plug or 8 inches from the plug makes no difference, there is no performance gain to be realized. Coil on plug does simplify manufacturing and does eliminate HT leads, which rarely fail regardless. One of those mods you do just because you like tinkering, nothing to be gained from it.

• Member Contributer

If you are doing significant modifications to the bike (AKA track or SF), it saves a ton of space, and 1lb of weight maybe.

A ton of space? Like a few cubic inches in areas where it's completely irrelevant, and no weight savings to speak of

Cleaning up the appearance and creating space to work with is important for streetfighter builds because you don't have body work to hide the clutter; and yes, it saves at least a pound, I forget the exact amount I weighed, not a lot but when trying to lighten a modern track bike there are no big lumps of weight to hack off... it comes off in a lots of small amounts that add up... as Yoshi pointed out.

... and yes, COPs can give a hotter spark. Any time your pushing 60K+ volts through a wire there are voltage losses, longer the wire and higher the temperature the more loss, especially as the wire ages. Is this significant? Depends on the person...

Virtually all modern sport bikes have COPs, don't they?

If you are doing significant modifications to the bike (AKA track or SF), it saves a ton of space, and 1lb of weight maybe.

A ton of space? Like a few cubic inches in areas where it's completely irrelevant, and no weight savings to speak of

Cleaning up the appearance and creating space to work with is important for streetfighter builds because you don't have body work to hide the clutter; and yes, it saves at least a pound, I forget the exact amount I weighed, not a lot but when trying to lighten a modern track bike there are no big lumps of weight to hack off... it comes off in a lots of small amounts that add up... as Yoshi pointed out.

... and yes, COPs can give a hotter spark. Any time your pushing 60K+ volts through a wire there are voltage losses, longer the wire and higher the temperature the more loss, especially as the wire ages. Is this significant? Depends on the person...

Agree with Mr. Yoshi!

But, and this is my opinion, I am quite sure industrial designers have the "can this be improved somehow" genes. They look at one element and see room for improvement. In this case improvement is also an improvement when the Mr. Bossman of -insert your favorite brand here- says, hey, great idea Mr. Designer dude, we saved xxxxx amounts of usd on shipping thanks to your compact, low weight sparkie thingy, AND we now sell more of them as a pure bonus!

I'm NOT saying cop are bad, but I surely did not change many coils before cop came along...

• Member Contributer

2008 CBR1000 COP's and harness, 1.4 lbs lighter, much cleaner, -4 coils hanging all over the bike.

Thanks Rush and Mohawk for the assistance

msg-23210-0-21616400-1419104184.jpg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Agree with Mr. Yoshi!

But, and this is my opinion, I am quite sure industrial designers have the "can this be improved somehow" genes. They look at one element and see room for improvement. In this case improvement is also an improvement when the Mr. Bossman of -insert your favorite brand here- says, hey, great idea Mr. Designer dude, we saved xxxxx amounts of usd on shipping thanks to your compact, low weight sparkie thingy, AND we now sell more of them as a pure bonus!

I'm NOT saying cop are bad, but I surely did not change many coils before cop came along...

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly! I know lots of engineers... my Dad is one, and they generally are thinking of how to do things better; unfortunately, I've also seen the other side when they don't anticipate the unintended consequences of their changes!

In this case, I think COPs have proven themselves... they are used on modern sportbikes by most brands whether Japanese, British, or German... it's a good idea that has gotten traction across many companies.

I've had a couple of bad coils in my lifetime... probably will have a bad COP too. Just because the conventional coil + sparkplug lead set-up is reliable doesn't mean it can't be improved.

Some folks may have a need to this mod; some will want to do it... for others, it won't have any value to them.

@gig

Looks Great!

I thought it was closer to 1 1/2 lbs lighter... thanks for the confirmation :beer:

• Member Contributer

When I installed the GSXR COP's on my 5th gen, I had to drop the idle speed as it was slightly higher then before.

All up it took me an hour to do, and has been running great for 20000K's.

Definitly lost around 0.5k in weight up high, and made more space/less clutter.

I think people are way over thinking this, its not rocket scince.

The 5th gen has 4 coils, so it has 4 trigger wires, one wire per COP.

I did it because I wanted to.

Every car and bike now has COP's, because they are better.

Same as DOHC, FI, 4 valve heads.

Welcome th the 21st century.

Edited by VFROZ

Some VFRs don't have a few cubic inches of space...

4166661450_0b615dc813_b.jpg

• 1 year later...

Old topic I know, but in discussing the merits or otherwise of CoP vs normal coils, no-one mentioned ignition interference suppression. This is a very big deal and manufacturers put a lot of effort into passing the strict regulations. Resistive plugs were a BIG improvement, but stuffing the coil right on top of the plug has to offer the best improvement of all. I doubt performance or even emissions really has anything to do with it. Ignition suppression is probably the biggest factor, but packaging now plays a very big part in vehicular design. Just trying to cram everything into the available space can be tricky and with bikes they need to be able to place everything for optimum weight distribution. CoPs are simply better at all these.

Whether it's worth doing on an older bike is just down to personal preference. I like the idea of freeing up some space and saving a bit of weight. As long as they work correctly it'll make bugger all difference to the performance though.

• Like 1

2008 CBR1000 COP's and harness, 1.4 lbs lighter, much cleaner, -4 coils hanging all over the bike.

Thanks Rush and Mohawk for the assistance

msg-23210-0-21616400-1419104184.jpg

Can anyone confirm how the later CBR CoPs fit to a 5th Gen?

I tried VFR1200, but they seemed too short. The CBR1000RR4-7 Cops will fit, but slightly long. The above picture looks perfect, but hard to tell and as far as I can see looking at pictures, the later CBR ones (RR8->) look very like the VFR1200's, but impossible to confirm either way as I don't have any on hand to check. Well I do, but they're on the bike and even without fairings, they're a ba****d to get to.

Anyone have an RR8-> CoP they could measure?