5th gen "coil on plug" setup.

Ranger77

• Member Contributer

OK, did an amp check on a spare battery. CBR CoP units draw 7.5amp. Original coils draw 3.9amp. These are COLD figures, the CoP units resistance goes up with Temperature. Your choice, works fine for me ;)

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Bike ran fine when I had the cop's installed. Haven't had them installed some time now because I haven't really been able to enjoy my bike. When I'm on her, it's because I've had to go out of town with her and don't like "testing" things while I'm hundreds of miles away from home. Going on a week long trip and when I get back and if I remember (LOL), I'll put them back in.

• Member Contributer

All my COP's are running perfect. well they feel and run well with no problems.

Road riding all day or/and race/track time all day long. Perfect throttle response!

In the 4th gen motor that is..Using gsxr1000 8th gen COPs and blade connectors, which are all the same fitting connectors...

YAY.. Old coils gone!!!!

All my COP's are running perfect. well they feel and run well with no problems.

Road riding all day or/and race/track time all day long. Perfect throttle response!

In the 4th gen motor that is..Using gsxr1000 8th gen COPs and blade connectors, which are all the same fitting connectors...

YAY.. Old coils gone!!!!

Well now, that is encouraging!

How many miles/km's so far & how do your spark plugs look?

• Member Contributer

No idea on mileage as i have removed the speedo. With 2 track days and a few afternoons motoring around the isle of man i guess 2-3 hundred miles?

No idea on spark plugs as i have not yet have a problem with them... might pop one out later in the week to have a peek if you think its worth it.?..

Have moved on to playing more with the handling, as i know my bike is not yet as good as my last 3rd gen build in terms of feedback and handling in the heat of battle.

I guess right now i have to look at the 929 shock conversion i have... questionable at the least. Altho im assured with Ohlins you should be able to dial anything out?... will see....

• 1 month later...

GSXR 1000

Had to slightly trim the top rubber boots to match the OE Honda bits, and narrow the rubbers at the bottom a tad. Suzuki plug wells must be a couple mm wider.

Starts and runs as normal, as far as I can tell in the garage. Front cylinders are untouched.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Since fitting the GSXR coils over the winter, I finally got a chance to ride the bike this past week.

Runs like a champ, idles perfect, pulls to redline just like it should. No funny business anywhere.

• Member Contributer

Nice Testarossa look Veefer! Thanks again for the info... I should dig into this mod next weekend and I'll add on how the CBR1000 sticks work

Did you add all new wiring to the CoPs or did you extend it from the stock coil wires?

I extended from the stock coil wires.

So as to not mix them up, I only did 1 at a time.

I used heat-shrinkable crimp spade connectors, soldered and heat-shrink the splices from the COP harness to my own wiring, and used split-loom on everything.

• 4 weeks later...

So ive been reading the whole post. so for the fifth gen vfr. you need COP from any GSXR 600/750/100 and CBR1000 coil wiring harness. what does the wiring diagram look like going into the coild from the original vfr harness?

mdange

just take the two wires from each existing coil, and lengthen them to attach to the COP.

One is + the other is -, so as long as you keep the polarity correct, you're good.

The CBR COP harness needs to be taken apart, and the wires all separated. They are colour coded, and the one with the black stripe is obviously the - one.

I just did mine one at a time, to avoid confusion as to which wire went where.

And, BTW, the COP conversion on my bike worked great all the way from Colorado to North Carolina and back again. Never missed a beat.

• Member Contributer

I'm working on these for my 4th gen but am having trouble determining what way to wire up the COP's... As far as polarity. Is there a + and a - on the gsxr coils? Maybe I'm blind and I'm missing it...

I bet you could answers my question as I'm using the same coils :)

Well I don't have a 4th gen, but the CBR (1000? 600?) coil wiring harness I bought to hook up the coils plugs right into the GSXR COP's, and the wire colours coming out of the CBR plugs have the wire polarity marked on each of them.

I just unravelled the tape holding all 4 of them together, and separated them so I had 4 individual wire pairs with attached plugs.

Wire each to my existing coil wires by extending them as required, and Bob's your uncle.

See the pic, the white plug is stock CBR hardware, and the wires coming out of it are already the correct polarity and have marking on them indicating same. Just attach to your coil wires, making sure they mate to the right wire on your bike and you're golden.

I did only one at a time, just unhooking what was necessary at the time, as opposed to ripping it all off, then trying to figure out which was what. I really can't see it being much different from a 4th gen though.

med_gallery_554_564_303729.jpg

I had bought something basically identical to this, and just unwrapped it to expose all the individual wires and separate the 4 plugs:

$(KGrHqRHJFME916qNbucBQCg)zfU7!~~60_35.J

• Member Contributer

Thanks for your help. Since I'm using brand new weatherpack type denso connectors I can't tell what polarity the coils have. Much Internet searching seems to indicate polarity doesn't necessarily matter with coils... I just want to make sure I don't screw anything up. After seeing some more pictures online it's looks as though the right wire (looking at the back of the connector with the coil pointing down) is the "common" wire that is the same color to all 4 coils (Black with white trace on 4th gen).

I'm gonna go with that :) thanks again!

When I get a chance I could look at one of the rear ones, unplug it and check the wire colours for ya.

Then you'd know for sure if its left or right while looking into the hole.

Maybe Sunday I could pull that off....