5th gen "coil on plug" setup.

Ranger77

• Member Contributer

Are you sure that's going to work mate? The three pins aren't "an extra ground", the third pin is the trigger. So, for example on the 6th-gen there is a constant 12 volts and ground provided to the coil and the third wire is the trigger. It's basically a simple transistor if I recall correctly; any 12v signal (regardless of strength) trips the transistor, which cuts the normal 12v source and causing collapse of the low voltage field and hence generation of the high voltage spark.

But anyway, are the 5th-gen coils also three wire? If they are, your two-wire coil-on-plug system won't work because the ECU only activates the high voltage coil by sending a trigger command to the coil as opposed to actually cutting the 12 volt signal directly in the ECU.

• Member Contributer

5th gens are just two wires. Out of all the bike coils I searched on ebay, the 6th gen vfr's were the only 3 prong coils.

Edited by Ranger77

• Member Contributer

5th gens are just two wires. Out of all the bike coils I searched on ebay, the 6th gen vfr's were the only 3 prong coils.

That, and lots of cars, but yeah. Seems like you've picked a winner then!

• Member Contributer

Ya, these Denso's (without flap seals) are used on just about anything. The ones on my ER-6N look exactly like the ones used on other kawa bikes and gsxr 1000's. I was google imaging them and a lot of four banger import engines use them too. All look the exact same.

These new model gsxr's have the slick looking metal mid sections. It's bling you can't see. LOL

Edited by Ranger77

• Member Contributer
Ya, these Denso's (without flap seals) are used on just about anything.

Trust Honda to be "different" as always. Like everyone else using wideband O2 sensors now, except Honda.

• Member Contributer

What is the added advantage of moving to these coils ?

Coil on plug gives a higher voltage and better spark. However, the 5th-gen already had dedicated coils at least, so the difference isn't huge.

• Member Contributer

That is what I assumed. Those plug wires look short and sure to be exposed at the front side. Enure you use some silicon joint to water proof them

• Member Contributer

Awesome mate! So is that now running with the 6th-gen throttle body and injectors as well?

Yes. Just need to set the starter valves now.

Great job with this! And the videos are top notch also!

Mark

• Member Contributer

If someone with 6th gen coil on plugs could give me their Ohm (resistance) reading on theirs, I'd appreciate it.

Across which pins?

• Member Contributer

If someone with 6th gen coil on plugs could give me their Ohm (resistance) reading on theirs, I'd appreciate it.

Across which pins?

Beats me. The fsm doesnt state anything on ohms with the coils. On two prongs i just touch the two. No clue on the 3 prongs the 6th gens have.

Im getting around 3.1 ohms on the 5th gens and 1.6 ohms on the gsxr's.

• Member Contributer

Across which pins?

Beats me. The fsm doesnt state anything on ohms with the coils. On two prongs i just touch the two. No clue on the 3 prongs the 6th gens have.

Im getting around 3.1 ohms on the 5th gens and 1.6 ohms on the gsxr's.

Less resistance = more current. Are you concerned that the new coils are drawing more current than your ECU can provide?

• Member Contributer

She seems sluggish now at low rpms and taking off. I'm going to hook up the stockers tomorrow and see if it's the bike or just me. It would be nice to find some that are the same resistance just for the assurance. If you can test yours, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm going to test the ones on my '09 ER-6N and see what those are at. I'm gonna guess that these coil on plugs are gonna be lower than the old school styles.

• Member Contributer

She seems sluggish now at low rpms and taking off. I'm going to hook up the stockers tomorrow and see if it's the bike or just me. It would be nice to find some that are the same resistance just for the assurance. If you can test yours, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm going to test the ones on my '09 ER-6N and see what those are at. I'm gonna guess that these coil on plugs are gonna be lower than the old school styles.

Verrry interesting. I'll check mine tonight but since they're 3-wire coils the results may not be comparable.

It could be that these new coils are pulling so much current from the ECU that it is suffering a brownout. Your old coils pulled 3.7 amps each (since they are 3.2 ohms at 12 volts), the new ones pulls 7 amps each. Granted, these are "pulse" figures but that's a doubling of current.

I've heard of people using ballast resistors to increase the resistance but then that might affect the spark, because each coil WANTS that 7 amps. More Googling required, methinks.