Oil Change - Nifty Little Timesaver

zubin

I just thought I'd share a simple little timesaver I use when doing oil changes on my '04 6th Gen. Like many on here, I only remove the right side fairing when doing my oil change, but I used to find it a PITA if I ever mixed up any of the fairing bolts when replacing the fairing. I finally found the perfect solution for me: I use little cylinder shaped rare earth magnets and attach them to the LEFT side fairing bolts. As I remove each RIGHT side fairing bolt, I simply stick it to the corresponding bolt on the LEFT side. Once the oil change is done, I simply locate the bolt I want and reattach it. No more frustration. The magnets are available almost anywhere. I just happened to pick mine up at both Princess Auto (Canada) and Lee Valley Tool (Can/US). Hope this tip helps someone else.pic from Lee Valley Added..post-4566-0-23388300-1310936139_thumb.jp

• Member Contributer

Clever... I usually use an egg carton - one depression per fastener size.

I didn't know Princess Auto did those magnets as well. Closer than Lee Valley and prolly cheaper.

Glenn

I just thought I'd share a simple little timesaver I use when doing oil changes on my '04 6th Gen. Like many on here, I only remove the right side fairing when doing my oil change, but I used to find it a PITA if I ever mixed up any of the fairing bolts when replacing the fairing. I finally found the perfect solution for me: I use little cylinder shaped rare earth magnets and attach them to the LEFT side fairing bolts. As I remove each RIGHT side fairing bolt, I simply stick it to the corresponding bolt on the LEFT side. Once the oil change is done, I simply locate the bolt I want and reattach it. No more frustration. The magnets are available almost anywhere. I just happened to pick mine up at both Princess Auto (Canada) and Lee Valley Tool (Can/US). Hope this tip helps someone else.pic from Lee Valley Added..post-4566-0-23388300-1310936139_thumb.jp

Edited by rdguy

• Member Contributer

Actually, the length of the bolts on the side fairing really doesn't matter--except the one that sticks up towards the little cowl pieces that cover the fusebox has to be short.

And the wider ones will only fit in the correct spots.