Crossrunner Test Ride

arrow

• Member Contributer

I went to the biggest Honda dealer in Istanbul today. I was just passing through and decided to stop by and take my chance. Sure enough, it was available. Here is a picture of the Crossrunner I'd taken earlier with a VFR1200 (also a test bike) and my VTEC

gallery_5871_6014_261425.jpg

It's pretty late now so I'll just start with the result. This is a really really nice bike. It is basically a VTEC in a dual-purpose-ish looking bodywork but it feels quite different. The seating position is very comfortable (obviously), the handlebars are both wide and high, making it very easy to manage it. The sound is somewhat different, and it makes a really nice growling sound that seems to originate from the airbox around 8K rpm. The throttle response is nicer than the VFRs and seems like there's a bit more torque below 5-6K rpm. I got up to 205 kms/h without any difficulty so even if it has a little less HP than the VTEC, you can't really tell. As far as the VTEC engagement, I can't even remember noticing it so it must have been seamless. The windprotection is definitely worse though but my bike always had a double bubble windscreen so that's what I'm comparing it to. The handling is really nice and the suspension feels very similar to the VTEC so this is in now way a dual purpose bike. Here are othe some pictures I have taken during my test ride:

gallery_5871_6014_1726865.jpg

gallery_5871_6014_1046688.jpg

gallery_5871_6014_1583404.jpg

gallery_5871_6014_685643.jpg

I like this bike a lot. It's fun, good handling, comfortable. The throttle response is really nice as well, I wish the VTEC was like that (although mine is probably an O2 eliminator away from that). I just wish it looked a bit, well, butch/macho. Perhaps I'll get used to the styling in time. If you like the styling of this bike, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

The handling is really nice and the suspension feels very similar to the VTEC so this is in now way a dual purpose bike.

With a lot more suspension travel than the vtec the difference mybe only noticeable on badly paved roads.

Thanks for the report, I know a few people that would welcome the ergos as you described them.

• Member Contributer

AFAIK, it does not have a lot more suspension travel. Just a centimeter more at the front or back I think. The suspension feel is very similar to the VFR. I also test rode a Triumph Tiger 800 two weeks ago and that has much more of a dual purpose feel to its suspension. I really liked that bike too, the way it smooths out the potholes and bumps is great and it keeps its cool under braking. The Crossrunner definitely has the better brakes though, the Tiger's brakes felt very wooden.

One thing I didn't care about much was the digital tacho on the Crossrunner. Give me analogue any time...

Archived