And Now For Something Completely Different...

JZH

HK huh, so we might see you down here for a holiday (and a ride) sometime? :tour:

Fly into Melbourne, hire bike, ride to Phillip Island WSB or MotoGP...

• Member Contributer

This is going to sound pretty stupid, but I've just realised this problem is exactly the same as when you forget to ground your Power commander, or accidentally connect the ground to the positive lead on the battery (seen that too).

Because the Powercommander takes over the ground switching of the injectors, it needs a solid ground for it to use for this switching. If you don't have the ground connected, it is able to occasionally ground out an injector when the ECU grounds it, and so you get the occasional "pop".

I honestly don't know why I didn't think of this earlier.

• Member Contributer

Unplugging the PCV was tried a long time ago. Nah, I think the problem is that there's something not plugged in under the T-bodies. I just haven't had time to pull them (and the supercharger, which sits on top of them...)

Anyway, I'd love to get the family over to Oz one of these days, but I won't have any hols for a fair bit. We'd definitely like to visit other countries "in the neighborhood", too, including of course, the obligatory pilgrimage to Japan!

I'll resurrect this thread when I get some time with the bike.

Ciao,

Egads, the thought of you, unchaperoned, roaming the Ueno district scares me.

You'll buy a buncha cool stuff, shoot pics of it, post it here, and we'll all hate you!

Nothing good can come of it!

http://thenewcaferacersociety.blogspot.com/2007/11/lets-go-uneo-motorcycle-district-japan.html

• Member Contributer

I've heard Ueno isn't what it used to be, but I'm not planning on letting that stop me! HK is a lot like that, btw, though I have not yet had a chance to see the motorbike areas I've heard about on the ex-pat boards. In countries like Japan and China, certain areas of the city become concentrated with a certain type of shop, whether it be furniture, or electronics, or motorbikes, so shopping becomes a rather intense experience. "Fistful of Yen", oh, yeah...

Ciao,

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Almost exactly one year after I started this topic, I'm back in the USA and tackling this problem again...

Some progress to report after a few hours fiddling in the garage this afternoon. Firstly, it runs!

Unfortunately, only on one cylinder... :sad:

I pulled the plenium chamber off the throttle bodies, leaving most everything else (not related to the Rotrex) connected and thumbed the starter. With the butterflies held open, I could clearly see fuel being injected into cylinder #3--but not into any of the others. That adequately explains the non-running and the popping I'd noted last year, so the timing issue is likely a red herring.

Next step was to pull the throttle bodies off and have a look underneath for any clue as to why only cylinder #3 is getting fuel. I did find a split vacuum line (the one that has the restrictor for the MAP sensor), so I would have had to pull the throttle bodies anyway to fix that (assuming I'd have even discovered that problem!). This was in one of the new blue silicone vacuum lines I'd installed when I upgraded the water lines--maybe the silicone just didn't like swallowing that restrictor pill? Rather then using another piece of blue silicone, I replaced the vacuum line with one of the OEM rubber ones, just in case.

Unfortunately, I found all of the injector wires and lines apparently intact--so there is still no obvious reason why only cylinder #3 is getting fuel.

I suppose the next step will be to do some swapping, to see if I can get any of the other injectors to fire. As I mentioned way above somewhere, the injectors were professionally cleaned, but I didn't otherwise clean the throttle bodies when I installed them or the A&A kit. It could be that there is some dirt in the fuel rails or something, which is blocking the other three injectors...maybe? I know--all three being completely blocked does seem a bit unlikely.

Any other ideas at this point, gents?

Cheers,

It wouldn't be the first time one or more 5th gen injectors got stuck. I don't normally recommend a hammer as a motorcycle repair tool, much less as a first suggestion, but it may be an appropriate attempt in this case.

Is there a PCIII on the bike? If so disconect the pcIII harness completely from the bike and put it back to stock. If you still have the problem you can rule out the PC causeing the issue.

Do you have a noid light that you can tap into the injectors with to see if they are getting signal?

• Member Contributer

Yeah I'd go looking for an injector signal or, as you said swap connectors to other injectors.

Did you ever have the cams out?

Have you tried the old ECU and pulse sensor?

Went to Ueno earlier this year... disappointing.

Swapping the injectors around to see if they fire and may be a driver problem is a good idea. Last time I dealt with a professional injector place and cleaned/reman'd injectors. The injectors wouldn't fire with a standard 3ms pulse which is standard for starting. They wanted 10ms pulse to even start to open and spray fuel.

The other thing thats common for injectors that have been worked on/cleaned, especially when they have sat for a while afterwards. Is for the injectors to be stuck shut from sitting and not having fuel running through them. Most of the time this can be cured by tapping on the injector with a screwdriver handle, or whatever you can use, while trying to start the engine.

• Member Contributer

Guess what?

http://www.vsource.o...ds/P1030345.MOV

:woohoo:

From the un-effin'-believable department: After I swapped injector #3 with #1, spray-cleaned the throttle bodies until my eyes were crossed from the fumes, re-installed everything and thumbed the starter, I still had a "V1", but now it was firing only cylinder #1. That could only mean one thing, so I got out a suitable heavy implement and began tapping on the injectors. Sure enough, I soon had a V2, and then a V3 and finally a V4 again! So all this time, all this anguish, swapped parts and copious swearing and it was stuck injectors all along. :blink:

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and moral support over the past year! You guys are the best. :smile:

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

Congrats!!!! looking forward to a ride report real soon....

:wheel:

• Member Contributer

The fuel pump is a brand new one, supplied by A&A (presumably higher capacity or pressure), so that could explain the different sound. Or, there could be a fuel problem. Maybe all of the injectors are clogged--except #3?

Hilarious! I had the answer over a year ago! :ohmy:

What can I say? It's Willer Time! :beer:

(See you on the Beware of the Yellow Peril thread.)

Ciao,

Archived