Raising Handle Bars 1999

Guest dude6116

Guest dude6116

Hello Bikers,

I recently did a Paris to Geneva trip through the country side. It was 11 hours of heavens but left my back in sharp pain for the next week. I have been riding a lot and did over 2400 in two consecutive weekends.

I had a Honda Nighthawk previously, and was used to the more straight sitting position. VFR is fast and thrilling and I really enjoy it for city driving, but I am hoping to do cover the whole europe on it in this and next summer.

That being said - what can I do to get the sitting more comfortable? Do I sound ignorant inquiring about this ( as if breaking a VFR secret riders code ) and its my upper back stamina that needs work?

Cheers,

Dude

Guest dude6116

Have you considered Heli-bars? They are a popular mod to move handle position up and back..

OK, Helibars Look super sweet. Very much the thing that I want. But for a brand new pair, the price tag is way too high.

Perhaps I should look for a used pair.

Any Ideas where the best place to look for these would be?

Edited by dude6116

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LJVFR

I added my helibars this last weekend after having them on the shelf for 6 months. Tried to get used to the stock bar position but gave up. After adding the helibars, I should have done this mod the day they came in. For me, the helibars made a big difference. I really like them! :fing02:

Guest dude6116

I added my helibars this last weekend after having them on the shelf for 6 months. Tried to get used to the stock bar position but gave up. After adding the helibars, I should have done this mod the day they came in. For me, the helibars made a big difference. I really like them! :fing02:

Thanks for the feedback mate !!

Enjoy riding comfortably :)

Has anyone ever found an OEM bar off some old bike that does the trick?? Do the heli bars have the pin in the bottom to keep them from rotating on the top of the fork tube?

Helibars dont have the pin, genmar risers do, and I *think* blackbird bars might fit, but that might be for the Vtec, cant recall exactly sorry.

I've got helibars on my Frankenviffer, and it has had a lie down on its site, I like how they rotated on the fork tube rather then be stuck in 1 spot due to the locating pin, probably would have snapped otherwise, eaving me stranded.

• Member Contributer

I'm pretty sure Blackbird bars go the other way. VFR stock bars act like helibars on a blackbird.

BTW, if you look at the convertibars with the accessories for full extension, you'll think helibars are a bargain. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I highly recommend Convertibars. I've got them on my 02 and I don't think any other product can raise (or lower or anything in between) more than the Convertibars.

http://www.convertibars.com/ProductsBike.cfm?Action=Add&ProductID=&rebuildStruct=1&CategoryID=-1&BikeYear=1999&MakeID=72&ModelID=99&btnSubmit=+Next+Step%21+

VFRMike.

Guest fastrax203

I've got the GenMar risers on mine and I love them! Never knew just bit of a difference in bar height would make a HUGE difference in comfort.

Guest dude6116

So far I see the debate between

Helibars (1 1/4" rise and 1 1/2" rear)- $279

Genmar risers (3/4" rise)- $109

Convertibars (adjustable)- $ 339

Blackbirds - Couldn't find reliable info ( short of time )

Variobar (adjustable) - $363

Is there a way to setup a poll to see the VFRD community opinion?

Are there any that I am missing?

Also, can you (if you are using one of these) attach a close up pic of installed raised bars.

Thanks people. I am ready for my next trip and have 2 weeks to make a purchase.

Cheers

You don't need gen mar risers. Just raise the bars up to the point that you don't need new lines. I have done this on my past three vfr's and Cbr for over ten years and never had a problem with the bars coming off/down/ or turning just check tightness every now and then.

*note* I also raised my fork tubes a bit.

Guest dude6116

You don't need gen mar risers. Just raise the bars up to the point that you don't need new lines. I have done this on my past three vfr's and Cbr for over ten years and never had a problem with the bars coming off/down/ or turning just check tightness every now and then.

Nice. How much rise did you get in total?

Guest LJVFR

How much did you raise your fork tubes?

I raised them an inch an a 1/8th with the rear lowered .75in works out great for me over the past 10 years

• Like 1

Guest dude6116

I raised them an inch an a 1/8th with the rear lowered .75in works out great for me over the past 10 years

Did you do this yourself? How hard is it to do.

I lowered the rear by rotating the triangle plate and raised the forks by losening the two bolts and clip ons. Trust me I am not a wrencher and I can say it us very easy. Do a search here there are detailed steps

Guest dude6116

I lowered the rear by rotating the triangle plate and raised the forks by losening the two bolts and clip ons. Trust me I am not a wrencher and I can say it us very easy. Do a search here there are detailed steps

Sounds neat and reversible if it doesn't work out well.

Has anyone else ever done something of this sort?