Installing 2006+ ECU and motor on 2002-2005 6th-gen

kaldek

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

How did we know that you would come out on top through using perseverance And blunt force???

I am the king of percussive maintenance!

"Percussive Maintenance"

I love it! Lol

• Member Contributer

Righty-o, I've got the old motor out of the 2002 frame. I even did it by myself, without a jack. I just knocked the forks up through the triple clamps and lowered the bike down, then took the last bolt out of the motor. It was a close thing - much harder with the wiring harness in the way!

I did notice though that either the new bike was missing some engine mount spacers, or I forgot that I took them out. If not, it appears that the new bike has had the engine out before, or it's a different engine than what I'm expecting......

Hmm, I wonder if there's an easy way to tell if the engine number is the original one that came with the frame?

Righty-o, I've got the old motor out of the 2002 frame. I even did it by myself, without a jack. I just knocked the forks up through the triple clamps and lowered the bike down, then took the last bolt out of the motor. It was a close thing - much harder with the wiring harness in the way!

I did notice though that either the new bike was missing some engine mount spacers, or I forgot that I took them out. If not, it appears that the new bike has had the engine out before, or it's a different engine than what I'm expecting......

Hmm, I wonder if there's an easy way to tell if the engine number is the original one that came with the frame?

Looking at the 02 & 06 frame parts the spacers are the same, they are numbered differently but use same part numbers, you will know if there are spacers you can't remember if you look around your garage you should have 2 of everything.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2002/VFR800+AC/FRAME/parts.html

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2006/VFR800+AC/FRAME/parts.html

The only way to know if engine was swaped which is unlikely is do a full registry check which will cost you & see if engine number matches VIN number on record, if it does it will tell you original motor or there will be a listing motor changed, if it doesn't match then motor was changed but not recorded with registry.

• Member Contributer

The only way to know if engine was swaped which is unlikely is do a full registry check which will cost you & see if engine number matches VIN number on record, if it does it will tell you original motor or there will be a listing motor changed, if it doesn't match then motor was changed but not recorded with registry.

Yeah, I did a vehicle status check - the engine number is registered to the VIN so either it's the original motor or the previous owner (prior to the smash) had it swapped out. Unlikely given the low kilometres on it.

I must just have misplaced them!

• Member Contributer

OK new engine is in the old frame - did it myself without a jack! The bike is now slowly being put back together.

Of course, I forgot to put the chain back on when I installed the swingarm. Do I bother taking it off again or just buy a new link? Decisions, decisions....

• Member Contributer

Of course, I forgot to put the chain back on when I installed the swingarm. Do I bother taking it off again or just buy a new link? Decisions, decisions....

Gah, nobody has any link pins in stock. Looks like the swingarm's coming off again. :pissed:

Gah, nobody has any link pins in stock. Looks like the swingarm's coming off again. :pissed:

If an x-ring or o-ring you can buy any brand chain link that is that type to replace & even if they order your looking 3 days max so can be the last thing you do as I'm sure there is enough stuff to do until then. But as you have had swing arm off it would be easy to remove again.

• Member Contributer

OK, bike is running. Won't speak for how well it's going - I'll wait until I've ridden it before making any calls. Couldn't fit the Motad headers back on though, as the downpipe gaskets were all chewed up and the fitment was always tight to begin with. I'll need new gaskets so in the meantim I fitted the stock headers from the new bike, which kinda sucks because they're so darned quiet!!

• Member Contributer

Well done Kaldek this post is almost as epic as the one a couple of years ago when a lawyer sucked us all in whilst he extracted a new VFR out of Honda. Congrats you are a persistent b-----d. I'm hoping for it all to come out well for you.:fing02:

• Member Contributer

you gonna have a VTEC yard sale afterwards???

Hells yeah. There's the new fuel tank, the ECU and keys from the old bike, a whole bunch of stuff to hit eBay. Roy already claimed the ducktail too.

• Member Contributer

It's done. I've ridden it, and she's OK. Mentally, I'm shattered. In 9 days of my free time I have completely disassembled two VFR800s and built one back up with all the electrics and mechanicals (swingarm included) of the new one.

The new motor has a much better clutch - I've had to adjust my lever out for the first time in four years. It may also have a stuck open thermostat - not fully sure about that yet as it's a warm day.

It's done. I've ridden it, and she's OK. Mentally, I'm shattered. In 9 days of my free time I have completely disassembled two VFR800s and built one back up with all the electrics and mechanicals (swingarm included) of the new one.

The new motor has a much better clutch - I've had to adjust my lever out for the first time in four years. It may also have a stuck open thermostat - not fully sure about that yet as it's a warm day.

:worthlesswithoutpics:

• Member Contributer

Way to go ! YOu have fortitude my man - good job!!

I know. I'm like a dog with a bone sometimes.

The person who deserves the most kudos is my wife Melissa, for putting up with me in the garage all day last Saturday, most of Sunday, every evening since then, all of yesterday, all of last night and half of today. I have three young children all under seven and a full time job. They're happy, but I feel bad for abandoning them.

Take them all out for Pizza tomorrow night!

Then, watch a DVD together at home, something funny.

Then, next week, take each of the kids out for a ride on the back of Daddy's bike. (or the front, for the younger ones)

And, take your wife out for a ride after that.

• Member Contributer

gallery_380_3610_109104.jpg

My bike before teardown

gallery_380_3610_363362.jpg

New '06 stripped-right

gallery_380_3610_251318.jpg

New '06 stripped-left

gallery_380_3610_77834.jpg

New bike ready for the motor to drop out

gallery_380_3610_2707.jpg

New bike still waiting for the motor to be dropped

gallery_380_3610_72615.jpg

I toyed with the idea of using the jack for a while

gallery_380_3610_9318.jpg

My bike ready for the motor to drop

gallery_380_3610_26704.jpg

New motor, old frame. Soon to be together!

gallery_380_3610_360015.jpg

All done?

gallery_380_3610_152228.jpg

Anyone want a chopper?

gallery_380_3610_108399.jpg

My poor Motad's couldn't be used for now.

gallery_380_3610_119931.jpg

Parts, anyone?

gallery_380_3610_29855.jpg

Plenty of spares forever more...

gallery_380_3610_83049.jpg

What to do with the old motor?

gallery_380_3610_25324.jpg

For sale!

• Member Contributer

Wow - haven't seen a thread this interesting in a long time! Glad it worked out. If it were me, I'd be sick of wrenching by now, but the curiosity of what was going on inside that old motor would be killing me. Before it went off to the scrap dealer, I'd be taking it apart to see what was up with it. What was it - about 2 weeks from locating the donor bike to having it complete? Well done!

• Member Contributer

What was it - about 2 weeks from locating the donor bike to having it complete? Well done!

Nine days. It was a bad idea, because on Sunday evening I crashed and came down with a terrible virus. I think I was holding up until the job was done.

I keep poking my head into the garage and wanting to tidy up in there but I basically haven't slept much in the last 48 hours. The upshot was that I was awake (4am) to watch the Indy GP!

• Member Contributer

What was it - about 2 weeks from locating the donor bike to having it complete? Well done!

Nine days. It was a bad idea, because on Sunday evening I crashed and came down with a terrible virus. I think I was holding up until the job was done.

I keep poking my head into the garage and wanting to tidy up in there but I basically haven't slept much in the last 48 hours. The upshot was that I was awake (4am) to watch the Indy GP!

Well kudos to you anyhoo, great job! You blow me away.... :fing02:

Now we need a contest on renaming this thread... :biggrin: