Poor mans throttle lock fail

Guest ChickenStrips

Guest ChickenStrips

So i did a bit of sleuthing around on the web for a cheap alternative to a throttlemeister for my '05 6th gen, and stumbled across multiple postings about using a specific O-ring ( designed for use on a Caterpillar bulldozer). The part was about $4. I figured, "Hey for $4 bucks, it's worth a shot". Drove down to my local caterpillar dealer and they had them in stock. I bought two, just in case the first one was lost/broken/stolen or what have you since the dealership is a good 45 minutes away. I walked away with a big grin on my face thinking i may have just found the deal of the century for a farkle for my bike. The wife and I are leaving tomorrow for a 250 mile ride, and a good 80+ miles is going to be on the slab.

Well long story short, i got home, and much to my chagrin, damn thing didn't work. Has anyone had any luck with something of this nature before? Part number was 8M-4991. In a perfect world, the concept was, this o-ring would fit on the bar end, and could be rolled into the gap between the bar end and the grip. It put enough friction on the grip to maintain throttle position, yet wasn't too much friction to not allow you to roll the throttle off if needed. Once you were done using it, you would then roll it back out of the gap and onto the bar end. I'm sure if i did enough sleuthing i could find an o-ring that would fit the bill, but we're taking off mid day tomorrow, and i just don't think I'll have time to hunt one down.

Guest woobie

I wonder if that's the same cat O-ring the guys on katriders started using a few years back :laughing6-hehe: . Best bet would be to hit a hardware store and find a comparable but thicker o-ring to do the job.

Guest ChickenStrips

Yea, quick search for "Poor mans throttle lock" on google will point you to both images and numerous forums of guys using this particular o-ring on various makes/models of bikes. Off to the hardware store i guess.

• Member Contributer

I use an NEP cruise control CC-3 for Dual cable Honda. Cost me $17 and I can turn it off. with an O-ring your always going to need to twist the throttle off, and that is going to get old very fast in traffic.

I use an NEP cruise control CC-3 for Dual cable Honda. Cost me $17 and I can turn it off. with an O-ring your always going to need to twist the throttle off, and that is going to get old very fast in traffic.

I am thinking of getting the same thing. Does it work well? Likes, dislikes about it?

I am thinking of getting the same thing. Does it work well? Likes, dislikes about it?

I've been using the NEP and it works fine. One thing I did was to cut the thumb lever down, it doesn't need to be as long as it is(IMO). here's a shot of the modified lever.

gallery_16535_4484_1550835.jpg

DSC00224.JPG

Guest DarkKnight

Been using my NEP lock for years now, I love it and would not ride without it. I literally use it on every ride.

+1

Monk, whats that on the end of your clip- on... Im not familiar:

• Member Contributer

IMHO the Throttlemeister is awkward to use and doesn't hold all that well anyway. Looks nice, tho...

Been using a VistaCruise (virtually the same as the NEP) and I like it just fine. It costs more than an o-ring, but $20 ain't all that bad for something that actually WORKS.

• Member Contributer

I use the vista cruise but same concept as the NEP and I love mine :fing02: Simple yet effective in just being able to let go of the throttle for a bit while slabbing. Works great :fing02: :fing02:

I am looking for something like this to ease the rides a little bit. Next summer I am hoping to do a 4 day loop around Lake Michigan and would love to find something like this. My question now is would it work with a throttle rocker?

Been using my NEP lock for years now, I love it and would not ride without it. I literally use it on every ride.

+1

That's called a Throttle boss, It's the only one I've found that stays in place.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/121/6447/ITEM/Kuryakyn-Universal-Throttle-Boss.aspx

Yeah. What this guy said. If you ride any distance at all it will be the best $26 you'll ever spend.

Guest DarkKnight

+1

That's called a Throttle boss, It's the only one I've found that stays in place.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/121/6447/ITEM/Kuryakyn-Universal-Throttle-Boss.aspx

Thank you sir!! Looks to be added to the to do list...

+1

Thank you sir!! Looks to be added to the to do list...

Here's a shot/angle you can start with. It's easier to move if set low then move it up as needed. Try not to stretch it any more than needed when installing(just lick the knob just prior to connection).

gallery_16535_4484_16967.jpg

DSC00223.JPG

So i did a bit of sleuthing around on the web for a cheap alternative to a throttlemeister for my '05 6th gen, and stumbled across multiple postings about using a specific O-ring ( designed for use on a Caterpillar bulldozer). T

I use a nylon zip tie, thick, with a small piece of thick foam. it's been there for 2 years now. works fine, part of the tie goes between the bar rubber and the end weight. wedged. it slides, it locks. i rest my wrist.

• Member Contributer

So let's see:

$4 O-ring

$ O-Ring

$8 in gas.

You're $16 in for a throttle lock that doesn't work, and at best will require a lot to roll on and off.

NEP or Vista Cruise cost $20.

Just saying.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I just got one of these and am going to try it. I have been using a throttlemeister, but have had some trouble getting it adjusted to the "sweet spot" where it is easy to use, but doesn't interfere with the throttle return when disengaged.

Linky: http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html