Kuryakyn ISO Grips for Sportbikes

Guest brian4309

Guest brian4309

I was just curious if anyone has tried these out? I put on just over 500 miles last Saturday and my right wrist was sore as hell! I could barely grip a beer afterwards. Currently I still have the stock grips but I think I might like to give these a try if anyone else has had good luck with them. I broke my wrist last summer (oops on the racetrack at 125) so I think that probably has a lot to do with my issue but I've also noticed that since I wear full gauntlet gloves that are almost racetrack worthy, I have a hard time getting a full grip with my hands even though it's hard enough to grip fully without gloves on. I'm hoping that a larger grip diameter may help alleviate part of my issue. My bike is currently 100% stock except for the new sargent seat I just stuck on a week or so ago.

I would like to be able to strap some saddle bags on and head out of state for a little road trip sometime soon and I'm researching all that I can for parts to make the bike more touring worthy so any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Before this bike, I've never owned anything that I would ever think of taking out for a road trip. I've always been local for the most part hitting twisties and making tons of stops on a 200-300 mile trip.

Ok, back on subject...below is a link from Dennis Kirk that caught my eye. If you have tried them, please let me know what you think of them.

Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I was just curious if anyone has tried these out? I put on just over 500 miles last Saturday and my right wrist was sore as hell! I could barely grip a beer afterwards. Currently I still have the stock grips but I think I might like to give these a try if anyone else has had good luck with them. I broke my wrist last summer (oops on the racetrack at 125) so I think that probably has a lot to do with my issue but I've also noticed that since I wear full gauntlet gloves that are almost racetrack worthy, I have a hard time getting a full grip with my hands even though it's hard enough to grip fully without gloves on. I'm hoping that a larger grip diameter may help alleviate part of my issue. My bike is currently 100% stock except for the new sargent seat I just stuck on a week or so ago.

I would like to be able to strap some saddle bags on and head out of state for a little road trip sometime soon and I'm researching all that I can for parts to make the bike more touring worthy so any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Before this bike, I've never owned anything that I would ever think of taking out for a road trip. I've always been local for the most part hitting twisties and making tons of stops on a 200-300 mile trip.

Ok, back on subject...below is a link from Dennis Kirk that caught my eye. If you have tried them, please let me know what you think of them.

Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips

Thanks!

Havent tried them but $62.99 for grips? R U nutz? Try the ProGrip 699 or 719 for under 10 dollars. (I use the 699s :fing02: )Both are very good. Add in a throttle rocker for another 10 bucks and you should be good to go.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/4489/ITEM/Pro-Grip-699-Open-End-Sportbike-Gel-Grip.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

http://throttlerocker.com/

Havent tried them but $62.99 for grips? R U nutz? Try the ProGrip 699 or 719 for under 10 dollars. (I use the 699s :fing02: )Both are very good. Add in a throttle rocker for another 10 bucks and you should be good to go.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/4489/ITEM/Pro-Grip-699-Open-End-Sportbike-Gel-Grip.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

http://throttlerocker.com/

:+1:

ridiculous price, 699's and throttle rocker is the way to go. i have them and tour a lot.

• Member Contributer

I have installed an assload of those on metric cruisers. If I ever own any type of cruiser, these would be on the bike. They are worth the money IMHO.

BUT, one of the other VERY popular farkles are heated grips. Being that the ISO grip are metal, I would tend to think that you wouldn't be able to fully utilize the heating element of the grip heaters with the ISO grips. Just some thoughts to ponder since you live in MN.

• Member Contributer

If the main thing you're looking for is thicker grips, try adding a pair of Grip Puppies over stock. They're cheap and easy. I love mine.

I like the looks of those Kuryakyns, but not the price.

Guest daemontrym

My dad has them for his Vstar and they do work great for getting rid of vibration.

I would try a good set of grips like what was suggested so far and a set of grip puppies,you can find them in the link below.

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycle/GRIPPUP/GPSMALL.html

These work great if your looking for thicker grips and to dampen vibration some.

Guest brian4309

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Unfortunately I've never used heated grips in MN but I still ride down to about 30 degrees.

I seem to have wasted $20 on the progrip and throttle rocker. The grips seem to be a bit softer but not larger in size. I think my hand hurts more with the progrips than the stockers. The throttle rocker snapped in my hand on a hard launch the day I got it. Granted, I did not get a throttle rocker brand but it seemed quite flexible. I think I may have to try the grip puppies and maybe a vista cruise unit to give my hand a rest on the longer rides. I may just try the Kuryakyn grips just to try them.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Paul67

Check out my pics... i got 'em on my 02 VFR - i LOVE 'Em! Very comfy!!!

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/55677-p1110154/

Go for it!

Looks great!

I have a red vfr and was looking at these. Think I will have to spend the extra money. The old you get what you pay for seems to be what Im looking at here cause Ive been hunting for thicker grips for a while and keep coming back to these.

My dad has the chrome ones on his cruiser and loves them.

To the other recommendations like 699s, they don't do anything about the thickness, and the guy in the shop told me they are fairly cheap and will need to be replaced. The kuryakyn and solid and the addon works much better than a cheap throttle rocker (which I currently use)

Edited by Paul67

• Member Contributer

wow! you guys crack me up about grip prices :biggrin:

i cant tell you how many $200 grips i have put on all the trailer queens i have worked on..

its funny.. the bikes that shake the most, always have all metal grips.. :huh: