We DO need stinkin badges

TheBigCheese

• Member Contributer

Technically I modified my bike so "Modifications" it is. My apologies in advance, this won't be thrilling unless you've got the same problem.

I wear a badge at work, depending on the facility it has to be shown at the guard gate or sometimes touched by the guard.

I've always clipped it to the top of my windscreen in a somewhat clumsy way. Then I've got free hands for clutch and brake.

I was planning to cut down my windscreen anyway, so I cut a small slot to catch the retractor cord and hold it tight (I also have to swipe while inside so I'm pretty nerded up).

My old tank bag has a place for me to clip the retractor base, so it will be quick as long as I drop it with picture side up.

I think this will be better than my old system. But I've daydreamed of a plexi slot with opaque sliding cover (way to much time on my hands sometimes - like right now).

I'm sure that some of you have the same problem.

The rules are:

- Must not be visible until I get to the guard

- Must be easy to uncover and/or clip on with left hand - there's about a 5 second window of opportunity to get it set - otherwise I've got to stop requiring both hands for clutch and brake.

- Speed limit is 15 on the approach, so wind is not a big problem when visible

- But it has to tuck someplace where it won't get blown away during commute

gallery_20267_5459_34230.jpg

Here's the badge(s) hanging in front of the windshield

gallery_20267_5459_203644.jpg

See slot at top of windscreen holding retractor cord

gallery_20267_5459_31107.jpg

rider's view, retractor base is clipped into tank bag

gallery_20267_5459_19586.jpg

Windscreen without badge, showing just the slot

• Member Contributer

I have to hand my badge to the gate guard every time I enter so what I simply do is tuck it in the front right corner inside my tank bag. I have a clear visor in there for "just in case" so it holds the badge up against the side wall quite nicely. On approach to the gate I simply unzip that side of the tank bag. I pull up to a stop next to the guard, reach in and hand the guard the badge. When done I slide it back in and ride off. I zip up the bag once clear of the gate while driving down the road. Total time is about 10 seconds. No modifications required. Badge is always safe and out of sight. :fing02:

As opposed to the cruiser riders who pull up and spend near a minute fishing it out of their shirt pocket pissing everyone off stuck behind them. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

I get away with viewing the parking pass and badge through the tank bag map section. I'd go with a retractable otherwise. :fing02:

I'm military so I always have to have my ID at the ready. I've had good luck with an arm strap type ID holder usually used for runners. I leave it on my jacket while riding everywhere (helps to show it off it the police officer catches you) but it's never been an issue for over 6 years now and it's always visible for the gate guard on my left upper arm.

I've had friends who have had good luck with ICON's mil-spec vest which has a pocket for ID's on the chest.

Just some options I guess.

• Member Contributer

I use a 'ticket' lanyard with mine in it and hang it around my neck; pull it out of my jacket when I stop, scan the reader and ride on into my underground parking deck. It's about 3 inches wide by 8 inches tall but I got one to fit what i needed. You can find them in different sizes. Got mine off Ebay. I'll post a pic of mine if I can figure out how. It's great for not having to try and fumble around and dig something out with gloves on. :biggrin:

I also use the "clear map compartment of the tank bag" option, although that sounds like it will not work for you. For us working at military bases they make us stop - we can't just slow and show.

Sometimes the guard will accept just looking at it through the plastic, other times I have to take it out. Even with gloves it is only a minor inconvenience to have to remove it from the tank bag.

• Member Contributer

I also use the "clear map compartment of the tank bag" option, although that sounds like it will not work for you. For us working at military bases they make us stop - we can't just slow and show.

Sometimes the guard will accept just looking at it through the plastic, other times I have to take it out. Even with gloves it is only a minor inconvenience to have to remove it from the tank bag.

I've got a clear map pocket, thought about using it but it's painful to get things in and out.

So all I really need is a new tank bag - brilliant.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I got a tank bag with a clear map cover: http://www.vfrdiscus...pid__791105#top

Would work well if I had to stop every time, but the guards can't see the badge well enough for me to fly by.

I reverted to keeping it in my left jacket pocket, and holding it between two fingers so I can still operate the clutch. Kind of tricky, I crushed a badge that way one time when I didn't get it right. I guess I'll manage.

I might do something fancier when I cut down my windscreen, my "slot system" actually worked well with my old tank bag. The wind caused it to auto-retract with perfect timing as I pulled away from the gate. The new bag is too tall and now I don't have a good place to clip the badge in securely.