Beware the Yellow Peril

JZH

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Update: By "poor fueling" I meant it stumbled all over the rev range, but in particular just over 5,000rpms. Went for a ride yesterday--and before the ride I had re-loaded the PCV map, but nothing changed. Riding in the twisties with an fluffy throttle response is no fun at all! So...what's the update, then? :huh:

Well, when I got back home I was wondering what I could do to solve this problem when I remembered that I had an un-used PCIII USB (which I had purchased before learning that the PCV/Autotune could be used on a 5th-gen), so I swapped that for the PCV and loaded the same (but unconverted) map I had been using in the PCV: The bike now runs great!

So, maybe the PCV's map conversion feature doesn't work entirely? Or maybe my PCV is faulty? Clearly, I still have some problems to work on...but I also now have a properly running bike! :tongue:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I would love to see and hear a canyon ride recorded with an on-board cam! Congrats on success with your project...

• Member Contributer

Update: Bike with PCIII runs great; bike with PCV runs bad (same A&A-modified base map, which was created as a PCIII map). I've converted the PCIII map using the PCV software a couple of times, so at least it is consistently bad, but I have no idea what is wrong at this point.

One potential cause I'm considering is the PCV's requirement (?) to tap into the speed sensor and water temperature sender wires on the VFR: the PCV instructions are written for an '09 VTEC, but I've determined which of my Y2k's wires are the equivalent (it was pretty easy, given access to wiring diagrams for both bikes and the fact that Honda used the same wire colors) and tapped into those wires at the gray PGM-FI connector. However, I managed to damage my gray connector whilst removing the wire terminals, such that one of these wires backs out of the connector when it is attached to the PGM-FI unit. Accordingly, my speedo readout and odometer do not get the speed signal. (Wiring harness from eBay on its way...) When I first got the bike running with the PCV I did not have either of these sender wires connected, either, so I'm wondering if the problem isn't the PCV map conversion, but the lack of these signals being fed to the PCV?

One other thing I can try is to take the Autotune out of the circuit (I'm not sure it's even working at this point), but I think I tried that in the beginning with no difference.

Ho hum, another project bike day at the office... :smile:

Ciao,

• 10 months later...

Update: Bike with PCIII runs great; bike with PCV runs bad (same A&A-modified base map, which was created as a PCIII map). I've converted the PCIII map using the PCV software a couple of times, so at least it is consistently bad, but I have no idea what is wrong at this point.

One potential cause I'm considering is the PCV's requirement (?) to tap into the speed sensor and water temperature sender wires on the VFR: the PCV instructions are written for an '09 VTEC, but I've determined which of my Y2k's wires are the equivalent (it was pretty easy, given access to wiring diagrams for both bikes and the fact that Honda used the same wire colors) and tapped into those wires at the gray PGM-FI connector. However, I managed to damage my gray connector whilst removing the wire terminals, such that one of these wires backs out of the connector when it is attached to the PGM-FI unit. Accordingly, my speedo readout and odometer do not get the speed signal. (Wiring harness from eBay on its way...) When I first got the bike running with the PCV I did not have either of these sender wires connected, either, so I'm wondering if the problem isn't the PCV map conversion, but the lack of these signals being fed to the PCV?

One other thing I can try is to take the Autotune out of the circuit (I'm not sure it's even working at this point), but I think I tried that in the beginning with no difference.

Ho hum, another project bike day at the office... smile.png

Ciao,

I'd bet that there are a bunch of cells that have funky trims after the conversion from the pcIII map.

When I got my PCV on my VFR, I forget who's map I copied and converted, only to have it run like crap.

Then I hand copied the cells from the PCIII to the PCV and surprise it was a world better.

Also don't forget to get Coderiter's vacuum switch to cycle the autotune off on long closed throttle operations.

Otherwise you will have a stumble that seems to move all over the place.

I wish there was a way to convert PCIII map to a target AF table.

My '99 is supposed to have one of the best PCIII maps in existence for TBR exhaust.

But if I want to run the Autotune, I have to translate each of the cells to an AF ratio.

Anybody out their have a way to do that???

Edited by JES_VFR

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Looks great, would love to see a video.

I know...there appear to be a few people that are looking for A&A kits now that can afford them that couldn't when Dan was producing them.

• Member Contributer

I saw one on Dave's (from Massachusettes) red 1999 at WDGAH two weekends ago in Lebanon NH. 174 HP at test wheel via dyno....BEAST!

• Member Contributer

Looks great, would love to see a video.

I know...there appear to be a few people that are looking for A&A kits now that can afford them that couldn't when Dan was producing them.

The timing of the release of the 6th gen kit was unfortunate - just after the bottom of the Great Recession - homeowners underwater, stock market cratering and millions losing their jobs. In normal times there might have been quite a few more of them.

I saw one on Dave's (from Massachusettes) red 1999 at WDGAH two weekends ago in Lebanon NH. 174 HP at test wheel via dyno....BEAST!

It would be interesting to know how many 5th gen kits are out there. What does he do for insurance on it? (or track only?)

• Member Contributer

Just out of curiosity, I looked up Dan Dreisbach, as the link to Naked Sculptures no longer works.

The new website:

https://hammersandwelders.com/

Whether he still has the jig for the underseat Y-pipe is unknown, but JZH's pipe and underseat tray are proudly displayed:

https://hammersandwelders.com/custom-cars-and-bike-parts.php

• Member Contributer

Might not be mine. He did at least two! Only one way to find out if he's still got the jig.

It's certainly a shame that A&A isn't in the kit business anymore--just as its a shame Dynamo Humm isn't making 870cc kits anymore...

Ciao,

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks, Leon.  I had to give that a full listen.  On my first VFR trip around Europe (Summer 1993) I recall listening to my cassette of Rattus Norvegicus over and over, on beaches, in hostels, walking around towns.  Classic!

Ciao,

JZH