Beware the Yellow Peril

JZH

• Member Contributer

So it is true then...Yellow VFRs are the fastest!

Isn't it a little tough living in London and the US? A 10 hour plane ride just to go hop on the Viffer must be brutal!

The bike looks friggin awesome...no doubt about that. But do you have to undo all that SC plumbing to change the oil filter? (geez...I sound like my Dad...)

• Member Contributer

Everything looks groovy, except the name..............

Killer bike mods but who's in peril? ...sorry... ?

• Member Contributer

I'm guessing mostly his driver's license . . . :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I probably should have mentioned that! It's mostly a pun on the bike's color, "pearl yellow", and the potential of the modifications to endanger life and limb--but it's also partly my most sincere two digits for the PC mob. :wink:

Ciao,

I probably should have mentioned that! It's mostly a pun on the bike's color, "pearl yellow", and the potential of the modifications to endanger life and limb--but it's also partly my most sincere two digits for the PC mob. :wink:

Ciao,

...and Timmy should have mentioned that he made the comment because he's been calling his bike "the yellow peril" since he joined the board... :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

...and Timmy should have mentioned that he made the comment because he's been calling his bike "the yellow peril" since he joined the board... :biggrin:

Who'd a guessed!

Ciao,

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I thought he was just talking about the mid pipe and cans.

Oh sorry, I was reading that wrong. Carry on then........

Sorry for the delay but I will check with Dan in about a week to see if he'd be interested in fabing up headers.

• Member Contributer

Digging the coolant hoses! I have to do mine as I have a leak in the V (again). Thinking of going this route.

Any tips? I culled the list from the thread you mentioned, I'll source them locally if I can.

If you want to copy this you will need to order the list below. I tried using armoured flexi hose for the hose that wraps round the front of the generator & the lower hose from the right rad to the Y piece, but it would not seal on the upper mount or the Y, so it got replaced with straight hose & 2 x 45degree bends.

The list;-

3 x 45degree 25mm id elbow (one for lower left rad to Y, 2 to make hose round generator cover)

1 x 90degree 25mm id elbow (Thermostat to right rad fill cap, lower half)

1.5M straight 25mm id hose (Thermostat to right rad fill cap, upper half / Rad to Rad top hose / Water pump to Y / Right rad lower to Y )

0.5M straight 11mm id hose (Water pump to Thermostat bypass hose)

0.25m straight 19mm id hose (Front & Rear cylinders to Thermostat / Front to Rear cylinders above generator. Just enough so measure carefully)

1m straight 6.5mm id hose (Thermostat bleed to front inside top of right Rad)

0.25M straight 25mm OD Alloy Tube (to use as joiners on 2 piece right rad hose (75mm) & 2 piece round the generator hose (62mm)

4 x 25-35mm Hose clamps (to join the 2 piece replacement hoses)

Any additions to the list above?

Edited by y2kvfr

• 4 weeks later...

I'm guessing mostly his driver's license . . . biggrin.gif

Having gotten to compare the Phase I Torocharger to a stock bike, I'd say that punk up the road on a zx10/gsxr1000 or that ilk.

Sorry for the delay but I will check with Dan in about a week to see if he'd be interested in fabing up headers.

Please do as finding copies of the Erion or TBR headers is getting harder and harder

I'd love a reasonably priced copy of the Erion or TBR. I'd love to do the underseat exhaust, but I've already seconded that space for my HHO cell so I'm stuck with either a narrow oval high pipe or standard angle low pipe option.

Digging the coolant hoses! I have to do mine as I have a leak in the V (again). Thinking of going this route.

Any tips? I culled the list from the thread you mentioned, I'll source them locally if I can.

Any additions to the list above?

JZH said there was a smaller diameter hose that needed a 180 bend that he did not source.

And Trav, can you post where you manage to source them please?

My local source is hung up on the Samco hoses.

• Member Contributer

There's a pic of that hose in my first post. I think it's the one for the fast-idle wax unit, so only on Y2k and '01 bikes. My US source was Flex Technologies in Torrance, CA.

Ciao,

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

And now, the moment we've all been waiting for (or at least the moment I've been waiting for!)...

She runs!! :smile:

After a short year having been consumed by a rather depressing episode, as well as my relocation from London to Hong Kong, I am back in So.Cal. for the summer and have now had a chance to enjoy some quality time with my motorcycle. First ride was today. It lasted about 20 mins, but was very nearly over after five minutes--when I was very rudely reminded that I had mounted new tires about a year ago! (Note to self: tire release agent does not wear off merely due to the passage of time...) Caught the inevitable rear-wheel slide and carried on--once I'd confirmed that it hadn't been caused by oil or coolant.

So, how does she run? Well, it's hard to say at this point, as the kit instructions say to avoid using more than 1/2 throttle for the first 65mi. That (and my new tires) kept me from riding at anything above little old lady pace on this first ride. Instead, I concentrated on listening to the engine, the compressor, the blow-off valve and the very lovely exhaust note. I did have one leaky water hose, and I will be checking the belt tension again this evening, but other than that everything looks and sounds right. I think (although it was hard to tell) that I may need to adjust the PCV mapping, because when I did let the revs rise I think I hit a flat spot. Anyway, tuning is inevitable with a project like this--the main thing is that the engine seems to run smoothly and strongly (and sounds great!)

Speaking of the exhaust note, I had asked Dan to provide me with a set of "dB killer" inserts for the Lasers, which he did, but I had also wanted a set of un-baffled sleeves to use if the baffles were too quiet. They aren't!

I still have to do some slight bodywork mods before I can fit the side fairings, so at the moment I have to ride around on a small-block-Chevy rumbling, screaming yellow bike with blue silicone water hoses and a supercharger belt spinning menacingly away--can't wait for the inevitable "Is that a Ducati?" question... :tongue:

Ciao,

That exhaust is amazing!

I have the Two Brothers Titanium full system from back in 2000.

It would have been nice if they could have run the pipes under the bike.

I have one which drags the road often.

• Member Contributer

Hey JZH - um, well gotta ask - Are you going to do any dyno runs and charts? How 'bout a few quarter mile runs for grins. - I bet I'm not the only curious foole on this stuff.... :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

It's a good question! Firstly, I wouldn't know where to take it for a dyno run. It's been a long time since I've lived in this area, so the only shop I know (and actually did use for set-up work many years ago) is Vance & Hines, but I don't know if they actually work on customer bikes these days. Secondly, while it would be interesting to see the numbahs, I've seen others' numbers, so it'd only really be for bragging rights--and I don't really care about that. But we'll see. Maybe once I've got some miles on the bike I'll be more curious to get objective confirmation of the results of spending all that money!

Ciao,

Well if you put it on the dyno, You should be able to see the flat spot you mentioned.

As well as deal with any single cell anomalies in the PCV map worked out.

Congratulations on getting it running in the end. I just had a freshly cleaned injector fail on a friends car, sticking wide opened.

It's very frustrating when that happens, particularly when its a vendor you deal with often and they do provide before/ after documentation.

I'm about to swap the RC51 for another 5th gen, so that I can keep riding while I take care of projects.

Any updates on the HID projectors??

Edited by JES_VFR

• Member Contributer

Well if you put it on the dyno, You should be able to see the flat spot you mentioned.

As well as deal with any single cell anomalies in the PCV map worked out.

Congratulations on getting it running in the end. I just had a freshly cleaned injector fail on a friends car, sticking wide opened.

It's very frustrating when that happens, particularly when its a vendor you deal with often and they do provide before/ after documentation.

I'm about to swap the RC51 for another 5th gen, so that I can keep riding while I take care of projects.

Any updates on the HID projectors??

In my experience, more bikes just means more unfinished projects! :tongue:

I just realised that I probably don't have a map installed in the PCV, which could explain the poor fueling... :ohmy: This is what happens when there are long delays between days working on the install, I guess. Time to steal the wife's laptop for a little garage action!

As for the next stage, it will probably be the front forks, as the Penske out back is making the OEM front forks feel entirely inadequate. Hope I've got all of the RC51 swap parts...

Ciao,

Well, you could always let it go for a song after you've gotten it all running well.

After all, you'll be in the Far East, and it'll need a good home.

How much are one-way tickets to LA anyhow......... :tour:

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience, more bikes just means more unfinished projects! :tongue:

I just realised that I probably don't have a map installed in the PCV, which could explain the poor fueling... :ohmy: This is what happens when there are long delays between days working on the install, I guess. Time to steal the wife's laptop for a little garage action!

As for the next stage, it will probably be the front forks, as the Penske out back is making the OEM front forks feel entirely inadequate. Hope I've got all of the RC51 swap parts...

Ciao,

Oh agreed, more bikes or more anything else equals more projects....

That's why I'm swapping my RC51 that I never had time to make a track bike out of for a second 5th gen.

It not gaining a new bike so much as gaining another VFR.

It will be good for running around town on AND as a mockup dummy for projects.