Replacement Cowl Bolts

Guest KenTastic

Guest KenTastic

While a lot of good information is available about good sources for the plastic rivets and well nuts, thank you, I can't seem to find a good source of good old cowl bolts.

I know they are available at Honda dealerships ($$$) and online vendors ($$), but factor in the shipping charges and the waiting time, for shipping to Canada and they can be a pain.

I'd love to find out if anyone has located a local hardware type store ($) for these? I just like the convenience of walking in and picking up whatever I need and maybe a few extras.

Please post some information here. Thanks,

Ken.

Being that they are shoulder bolts, I don't think you are going to find them commercially available locally.

Even the Ebay fairing bolt "kits" don't fit right.

Now and again, some bike breakers on EBAY will sell off a complete "box 'o bolts" from a particular bike they just disassembled.

Those are usually a good deal for those hard to find factory fasteners. I know, that doesn't help you today.........

• Member Contributer

Not local, and doesn't help for just a few bolts, but www.wiremybike.com sells a complete fastener kit, I believe.

KurveyGirl fastners are sexy and I check WireMyBike but they only sell well nuts and plastic clips. So I bit the bullet and went with the BikeBolts kit in gloss black. With a 25% off coupon code, the entire set is less than $50 shipped to Canada!

I know the BikeBolts kit is not OEM standard, especially since it uses nylon washers with standard bolts, but it seems to be a great deal in order to have some spares handy. I'll post a review here after I've installed them.

Thanks for your feedback!

KurveyGirl fastners are sexy and I check WireMyBike but they only sell well nuts and plastic clips. So I bit the bullet and went with the BikeBolts kit in gloss black. With a 25% off coupon code, the entire set is less than $50 shipped to Canada!

I know the BikeBolts kit is not OEM standard, especially since it uses nylon washers with standard bolts, but it seems to be a great deal in order to have some spares handy. I'll post a review here after I've installed them.

Thanks for your feedback!

I only sell the complete bolt kits for the 5th gen, sorry.

You can DIY Frankenbolts from standard 6mm stainless Allen bolts (not screws, which have thread all the way to the underside of the head). I can't find my good pix of what I made up, but you need a 6 x 50 Allen bolt with either the standard or a button head, plus a flanged nut put on backwards and tightened to the end of the thread. That leaves about 20mm of plain shank for attaching bungees etc..

Make your own measurements and you may find my recall of the bolt length is not long enough.

The only problem is that you now need a 5mm Allen key to get into the underseat area. I shortened a key and cross-drilled a hole and used a thin keyring to attach it to my bike keys so I was not stuck out on the road. You could hacksaw a slot straight across to take a coin.

Pic shows result on my old 750FR.

post-4110-0-44303000-1306965796_thumb.jp

I only sell the complete bolt kits for the 5th gen, sorry.

You mean 6th Gen, don't you? And this kit is the same as the one from BikeBolts, right?

Great idea, Steve, thanks for sharing. I have to try it ...

In any case, my challenge may not be over yet - Canada Post may be going on strike and there goes the on-time delivery of my package. :mad:

Archived