5th Gen VTR1000 fork swap

Guest cdmpc

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I wasnt clear - VTR triples are narrower in stance than the 5th gen triples, so the SH fender wont fit. The 5th gen fits only with some kind of adaptor bracket.

Here's a pic of the CNC design that I used.

Mountonforks10.jpg

Any desire to make another set? :wink:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Yeah, I wasnt clear - VTR triples are narrower in stance than the 5th gen triples, so the SH fender wont fit. The 5th gen fits only with some kind of adaptor bracket.

I am working on making another batch.

:cool:

I just finished doing this swap today on my 5th gen. Vtr bottoms with my vfr tubes, mello dudes fender adapters cbr954rr calipers, cbr600f4i rear master and I took the easy way and just used the existing 2 rear brake lines and the factory double banjo bolt at the rear. Cbr600f4 5/8 bore master instead of the 11/16 bore it should really use but it still works perfectly well. I used venhill brake lines as they are like a modular system where you buy the desired line length needed and the screw on fittings separate so you get the correct angled fittings and when fitted there is no chance of the lines not being crimped in the right position and the brake lines kinked/coiled up a bit. Setup looks factory fresh and works a treat. Do it dude

• Member Contributer

thanks mello dude for your adapters. quality

Thanks ----

I was curious, did you have to do minor grinding to get the caliper to bolt up? I did on the RC51 units.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Mountonforks10.jpg

Bumping the thread --- got a new batch of brackets in. -- I did some very minor tweeks. (One set goes on my bike)

PM if interested.

Bracketupdate2014.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Yes, Adjustable damping and preload.

Brake delink with some caliper options.

A set of springs is a given, no matter what you are riding. it is part of the deal.

I just did the entire front. No fender issues.

I have Wilbers springs in my stock vfr -98 forks now, but there I have no rebound damping what so ever.
The fork oil that came with it was SAE 5.
I beleive the lower case is worn out. Bike run over 100.000 km
There are some vibration when light brakeing and I have change everything exept forks.
So..
My wilbers springs do not fit the VTR 1000 forks, and still wondering what to do.
Looking around for som VFR lower pipes at the moment, in good shape.
Anyone?

• Member Contributer

post-22267-0-70574900-1435104371.jpg

I can't think of any reason why the Wilbers VFR800 springs won't fit into VTR forks; they have the same internal diameter, the only difference will be the length of any spacers that you may need. From memory the VTR fork cap preload adjuster is about 20 or 25mm longer than the equivalent on the VFR, so the spacer needs to be shortened by that amount. I have VTR fork caps and adjustable rebound damping components installed in my standard VFR fork tubes.

• Member Contributer

Your VFR800 springs will fit in the VTR forks.

If you want a set of VFR800 fork lowers in 41mm diameter I have several laying about. Yours for shipping.

You may be better off purchasing from someone in Norway than having me ship them though.

• Member Contributer

A set of springs is a given, no matter what you are riding. it is part of the deal.

I'm intrigued about your fender comment; I've got a spare et of VTR lower legs and the complete brake setup, and I already have the VTR damper parts in my VFR.

I'm contemplating de-linking the VFR brakes, not because I don't like them (actually I think they're great) but to get rid of the unsprung weight of the complex brake mechanism hoses etc. I also ride a VTR on which I have modified the front springing and damping, and this has a much better front ride (less reaction to bumps) than the VFR. I've tried a lot of different variants of suspension shims/oil/oil levels on the VFR and it handles great, I just wish it was a little comfier; I suspect that the ride comfort is affected by the heavy unsprung weight of the brake system.

Can anyone who has de-linked make any comment on whether the ride comfort improved???

I understood that the VFR fender mount is different to the brackets on the VTR forks (hence Mello Dude's adaptors). I do know the VTR triples are narrower than the VFR so the tubes are not spaced as widely as the VFR. Which fender did you use and how did you mount it to the VTR legs? Or did you use the VTR triples as well?

• Member Contributer

Terry, If you are utilizing the VTR front assembly as a unit (forks, triples and wheels) you can easily just bolt on a VTR front fender.

A common Superhawk/VTR upgrade is to use the RC51 calipers on the VTR fork lowers and we have this set up on a 4th gen VFR.

You may need to add a little clearance on the fork mounting attachment for the calipers, we had to on one side but not the other.

I cannot comment on whether de-linking alone improved the ride quality in the front as the forks were sent out with VTR lowers and CBR600F3 fork internals to be revalved and resprung at Traxxion Dynamics for the VFR and rider weight.

• Member Contributer

I'm intrigued about your fender comment; I've got a spare et of VTR lower legs and the complete brake setup, and I already have the VTR damper parts in my VFR.

I'm contemplating de-linking the VFR brakes, not because I don't like them (actually I think they're great) but to get rid of the unsprung weight of the complex brake mechanism hoses etc. I also ride a VTR on which I have modified the front springing and damping, and this has a much better front ride (less reaction to bumps) than the VFR. I've tried a lot of different variants of suspension shims/oil/oil levels on the VFR and it handles great, I just wish it was a little comfier; I suspect that the ride comfort is affected by the heavy unsprung weight of the brake system.

Can anyone who has de-linked make any comment on whether the ride comfort improved???

I understood that the VFR fender mount is different to the brackets on the VTR forks (hence Mello Dude's adaptors). I do know the VTR triples are narrower than the VFR so the tubes are not spaced as widely as the VFR. Which fender did you use and how did you mount it to the VTR legs? Or did you use the VTR triples as well?

Complete VTR front. All in. Triples, tubes, lowers, fender... I even took the controls because I like the reservoirs better.

I cant really speak to comfort. Very subjective and set up specific. A couple clicks can make a difference. "comfort" usually equates to a ride that is soft which leads to dive and excessive travel. UNLESS you have top notch components.

• Member Contributer

Terry, If you are utilizing the VTR front assembly as a unit (forks, triples and wheels) you can easily just bolt on a VTR front fender.

A common Superhawk/VTR upgrade is to use the RC51 calipers on the VTR fork lowers and we have this set up on a 4th gen VFR.

You may need to add a little clearance on the fork mounting attachment for the calipers, we had to on one side but not the other.

I cannot comment on whether de-linking alone improved the ride quality in the front as the forks were sent out with VTR lowers and CBR600F3 fork internals to be revalved and resprung at Traxxion Dynamics for the VFR and rider weight.

Actually I have already upgraded the brakes on my VTR using callipers and master off a CBR954, which are the same as the SP2. I did file a bit off the lower mount on both legs for clearance.

post-22267-0-71529800-1435133774.jpg

I've also revalved and resprung the VTR fork, and it works better than my similarly resprung and revalved VFR fork, which is what got me to wondering about whether it was the difference in unsprung weight between the two that made the difference?

Anyone who can compare the vtr spring with the vfr spring?

A litle confusing as to how much the spacer needs to be cut.

I would like my vfr as close to original as possible.

But had my first track day last weekend and damn, I need som front forks That can be adjusted.

If CornerCarver have some lower forks, maybe someone else have the VTR upper forks I need?

Its not a common mod here in norway and I Dont think any members of the vfr-club Norway with 5th gen vfr have done the swap.

Archived