Bazzaz Early Dyno Results

ZenMoto

Well, a truck from Bazzaz, with my bike in the back, showed up at my house this afternoon! :)

They are *still* waiting on ONE part to finish the Z-Bomb, but finished my bike off with a hand-built connector for the Z-Bomb on my bike.

I will probably get final dyno sheets next week sometime. ...in the meantime, here's my initial impression:

Z-Fi / Fuel mapping: ...perfect! Not an exaggeration, it is simply that better than it was stock; no humps in power, and no giant holes!!!

Z-Bomb: What can I say, I now have full power in 1st & 2nd, and you know what? ...it's very nice, and not the least bit "dangerous". In fact, the bike has completely lost its nervous throttle coming off-idle in 1st & 2nd; it's now VERY easy to ride smoothly in those gears, making 2nd my new go-to gear for my local twisties (with the occasional dip into 3rd). The bike is simply SAFER to ride now as it behaves much better in the lower gears!

Quick Shifter: ...this will take a little getting used to, but it is smoooooth! I didn't know if they were going to do it or not, but they did and it's awesome! As long as you're over 3000rpm you can just up-shift with no clutch, and it seamlessly clicks into gear without having to let off the throttle. I've never had a quick shift before, but I LIKE it! :)

Traction Control: This is another thing I didn't think they were going to do, but they did. It's really meant for the race-track, to allow you to dial in just the right amount of "slip" while putting the power down hard, but they tell me it will work just as well in the wet. ...obviously, I haven't had a chance to notice it working (and may not for some time), but it's cool that they developed it!

Handlebar Controls: This last bit was a total surprise! They mounted a control cluster under my left bar that has a 2-position toggle for switching between Map 1 & Map 0 on the Z-Fi unit, as well as a dial for adjusting the sensitivity of the traction control (currently set to mid-point).

Overall the whole thing is very clean and professional (what would you expect from Bazzaz) and the bike is, quite simply, transformed!

I'll try to get some pics of the little control cluster as well as the quick shift and Z-Fi, etc. to put online.

...tomorrow, I go riding!!! :)

Bazzaz is Badazz!!!

Think you can shoot a video, of the sound and how it behaves?

Also whats a quick shift...I up-shift with no clutch already and im bone stock. Is it a part they put on the bike.

• Member Contributer

I'm curious if Bazazz is actually altering ignition timing or if it's like the PC5 which is fuel mapping only. I find it hard to believe that they make such a drastic change to the power curve with only a fuel map. Not saying it can't be done, but engine tuning is a mix of several variables, fuel mapping is but one variable. Please see if you can find out more about what they did besides fueling. Thanks.

I believe it. In my experience, the PCV dramatically alters the low to mid rpm feel of the bike, and, my butt dyno tells me ( :) ) power. So I have no doubt the Bazzazz unit will too, even with just fuel alterations. Out of the factory the bike is fuelled for economy/emissions, not performance. I will be fitting a z-bomb when it's available as well.

2V1U7563-L.jpg

I don't really have any way of recording video while riding, so you'll just have to take my word that it's a LOT smoother; especially the off-idle throttle response. To test this, I went up one of my favorite local roads, ( Piuma Rd. ) which starts with a very tight, climbing hairpin turn; this is normally nearly impossible to do smoothly as it is strictly a 1st gear turn, and usually covered in dirt and loose rocks. Today, no issue whatsoever! The bike came under throttle smoothly, with no abruptness at all! :)

Until I get dyno results to post, there's not much more to say about the performance. I know it added a bunch of power in 1st & 2nd, but the bike is actually easier to ride in those two gears. I don't know that it added any / much horsepower in the higher gears, I just know the bike is smoother overall, and there are no dips in power, anywhere, at any throttle position!

Quick Shift: To answer the question, quick shift does basically the same thing you do when you up-shift without the clutch ...it just does it a LOT faster, and you don't have to back off the throttle to do it. There's a sensor at the shift lever that detects pressure, and when it does it interrupts the ignition for a fraction of a second, releasing the tension on the shift dogs (just like backing off the throttle does); once the ignition cuts, the bike just pops into the next gear and since you never had to let off the throttle, it continues right where you left off ...pulling like a freight train.

The Bazzaz QS is programmed differently for each gear, as you need less igntion cut as you go up in gears / speed. So the cut for 1st - 2nd might be long enough for you to really feel the ignition cut out (because it has to be) but 3rd - 4th and up is essentially instantaneous. There's simply no way you can cut the throttle manually, shift, and pick up the throttle even remotely close to how quick it is.

Here's the quick shift sensor hooked up:

2V1U7564-XL.jpg

The Z-Fi unit under the seat (held in with Velcro). ...I gave them permission to cut away some of the ribbing under the seat to fit it, as I put my fuse box in what would be the ideal location. In my opinion the under-tray is plenty strong to not need that rib all the way across anyway.

2V1U7567-L.jpg

And here is the handlebar control cluster, which is actually upside down, as it was designed to mount above the bar on most (race) bikes, but the VFRs clutch reservoir is in the way ...I like how clean it looks under the bar, and the reservoir hides the cables, etc.. The 2-position toggle is to switch ignition maps, the dial is for how much / little traction control you want active.

2V1U7562-L.jpg

Edited by ZenMoto

• Member Contributer

There's a sensor at the shit lever that detects pressure,

most humans have that too :laughing6-hehe:

There's a sensor at the shit lever that detects pressure,

most humans have that too :laughing6-hehe:

So are the results repeatable for the rest of us, or do I need to ship my bike to them to get a z-bomb. ;)

Ah, you guys are cracking me up! ...this is what I get for trying to get the info up before going to bed! lol

• Like 1

It's not supposed to be a personal affront by any means. Hats of to Bazzaz for tackling the VFR1200 and fixing the issues, I for one am pumped to hear about it. But the difference between what one company can do to a bike with all the right people working on it, and a COTS (Commercial off the shelf) product are significant.

I'm been anxiously watching this thread since you started it, with my credit card in hand. Meanwhile, my PCV arrived this weekend. Whoever gets the Z-Bomb or equivilent solution to the market first will get my money.

Guest smiffy

It's not supposed to be a personal affront by any means. Hats of to Bazzaz for tackling the VFR1200 and fixing the issues, I for one am pumped to hear about it. But the difference between what one company can do to a bike with all the right people working on it, and a COTS (Commercial off the shelf) product are significant.

I'm been anxiously watching this thread since you started it, with my credit card in hand. Meanwhile, my PCV arrived this weekend. Whoever gets the Z-Bomb or equivilent solution to the market first will get my money.

I came across the document below on the Bazzaz website. The VFR1200F products are on page 6 along with a couple of dyno charts which I assume are for the Z-Fi unit and not with the z-bomb also?

http://bazzaz.net/Z-notes/Bazzaz_Z-notes_ALL.pdf

I came across the document below on the Bazzaz website. The VFR1200F products are on page 6 along with a couple of dyno charts which I assume are for the Z-Fi unit and not with the z-bomb also?

http://bazzaz.net/Z-notes/Bazzaz_Z-notes_ALL.pdf

Definitely NOT with the Z-Bomb. I was told they won't be posting dyno results with the Z-Bomb until they have production Z-Bombs ready to ship.

With the Z-Bomb, that giant hole below 5k rpm kinda' disappears! :)

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Well get your credit card ready, just dropped buy the bazzaz site and looked up vfr1200 and you know what. They are selling a FI and a FI with traction control.

http://www.bazzaz.net/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_genx_img1.tpl&product_id=463&category_id=1&manufacturer_id=1&option=com_virtuemart

The FI is a little more then the power commander, and I wish you could get the TC as a option later.

So who's going to be first to get one?

• 3 weeks later...

Well Zen, now you're making me sort of wonder why I gave up my appointment to you.. :rolleyes:

I'm glad this story had a very good outcome, I know you were worried there for awhile. I'm such a conservative rider, I don't think I could get the most out of a package like that.

Edited by MSGTR

• 4 weeks later...

Emailed Bazzaz about the Z-bomb availability and here's the response:

Yes, unfortunately we are at the mercy of vendors and we are now being told that we will have the connectors later this month. Sorry that I don’t have an exact date for you. By that time we should know about the DCT version as well.

Thank you,

Tracey de Martini

Executive Assistant / Sales

15330 Fairfield Ranch Rd., Suite E

Chino Hills, CA 91709

P - 909.597.8300 x 111

F - 909.597.5580

www.Bazzaz.net

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I called Bazzaz today - Jan 10. I was told that conectors are to be delivered this Friday the 13th I am waiting for a call from Tracey next week to confirm delivery. :excl: If we are lucky next week a plug and play solution will be available. As I have a DCT model cutting is not a great option. Thanks go to Dutch, phobe, Zen and others for all the time spent on a resolution. :wheel:

The 2012 has tranction control so 1st and 2nd gear are not restricted any more. And fueling is improved by Honda, so the need for a PC-v or Z bomb is gone, as long you use the OEM exhaust.

It will be interesting to see just what they did/do with it and if the big 5k flat spot(Zen) is gone. So now 1st and 2nd are restricted with Traction Control instead! :tongue:

It will be interesting to see just what they did/do with it and if the big 5k flat spot(Zen) is gone. So now 1st and 2nd are restricted with Traction Control instead! :tongue:

At least it will now be a selectable option to be restricted.

Maybe they restrict when you turn of the TC? They wouldn't be that nasty, right... Just sayin

Very good point. Although I won't be in the position to upgrade to v.2 myself, I look forward to hearing about how this plays out from those who do.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen Dyno charts for a DCT?

I ask as I believe I read it is not possible to due to the front wheel is not spinning. If I cannot dyno the bike I may left with pre-made maps or an Auto-tune.

Any thoughts?

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

I have never done the dyno thing on a FI bike, so it was interesting. I am not sure what all the sheets were he gave me, they have lambda on them, these two are the initial and final result.

The bike is a 2010 not 2011 as indicated on the sheet, with the ZBomb and the ZFi tuning module. I only have 10 km on it but it is a different bike, it is not as twitchy on/off at low RPM, and really feels like it hauls now through the powerband. I am not keen on the 3-3-3 gear indicator, but will learn to deal with it. I had him do peel off the body work, install the KN filter, install the ZFi module and ZBomb, and do the dyno runs and put her all together. He did 3.5 hours of dyno time, and I am happy with the results.

If it comes through hard to read, run #1 HP was 126.4 to the rear wheel on this machine, and torque was 76.4. This was with GPR slip on with db baffle in, K&N filter, and I think it also was with Z-Bomb in. I forgot to tell him to do a run with and without the Bomb, but I was not in the mood for paying for more dyno time this year!

Final run was 146.3 HP and 83.12. with same exhaust and air, and Z-Bomb running.

Edit: We are at 1,893 ft here

post-72-0-17143100-1379630619.jpeg

post-72-0-67572700-1379630629.jpeg