Bazzaz Early Dyno Results

ZenMoto

I believe these are all with the stock pipe, and it's not clear from the naming what's going on in the first image; it may be just their baseline runs overlaid. ...if anyone understands "dyno lingo" let me know. lol These runs were done a while back when my bike had only 1700 miles on it. I can tell that the motor has woken up a bit since then so I'm looking forward to getting it back on the dyno with it fully broken in and the Akro pipe installed.

Stock mapping (maybe the black line is with the Z-Fi unit and map):

vfr1200%20stock%20vs%20map-L.jpg

1st gear with (black) and without (red) the Z-Bomb (removes 1st & 2nd gear limitations):

vfr1200%20stock%20vs%20z-bomb%201st%20gear-L.jpg

2nd gear with (black) and without (red) Z-Bomb:

vfr1200%20stock%20vs%20z-bomb%202nd%20gear-L.jpg

I'm told they have all the connectors for the Z-Fi unit, but are having some issues getting the right connectors for the Z-Bomb (hoping to be resolved in the next couple weeks).

All this reaffirms what my butt tells me every time I hit the twisties (mostly all 2nd gear) ...WTF was Honda thinking with this BS limiting of the 1st & 2nd??? The way the power sags then comes on just SUCKS. For most of the twisty roads I've found in Southern California, 1st is just too short and 2nd is on the lugging side, which means you have to ride through that horrible trough constantly, usually pulling out of the apex of a turn. I can do it in 1st and stay up in the power band, but man talk about needing a LOT of throttle control! lol

It's really a shame that Honda did this to cripple what is an otherwise very easy to handle 140-150hp bike. ...it really is borderline dangerous, and I can't wait to get it fixed permanently, even if it means having the gear indicator on the dash not working correctly anymore.

My derestricion is working for 2500 km now. I accept the false reading at the gear position indicator in 1st and 2nd gear. Cost $5 and 2 hours work.

The bike wheelys off the trottle in 1st gear :cheerleader:

Phobe what are your experiences whith the derestricion of 1st and 2nd gear ?

Edited by Dutchgixxer

Guest phobe

My derestricion is working for 2500 km now. I accept the false reading at the gear position indicator in 1st and 2nd gear. Cost $5 and 2 hours work.

The bike wheelys off the trottle in 1st gear :cheerleader:

Phobe what are your experiences whith the derestricion of 1st and 2nd gear ?

I haven't done a lot of riding since I derestricted it (long winter) but I have noticed a lot of tire spinning in first and a couple of unintentional power wheelies. I owned a whole series of motorcycles before my VFR which didn't have a gear indicator so I don't miss it that much. I have a pretty good sense for what gear I'm in.

I'm hoping to do a PC5 this spring. I haven't decided if I'll buy the autotune module or get a custom map.

Guest Alang

thanks for the dyno. I ran some twisties friday, and the on off in second gear was a lot of trouble. And I drag raced a V-Rod from a 15mph rolling start, in second gear it seems like forever to take off due to the power dip; eventually it caught and whizzed past the VRod. Kind of embarrasing waiting for the motor to spin up and go though.

Hey Zen,

Is your bike the standard model?

Yep, the standard 1200F (vs. the 1200FDual clutch).

Alang, if you're drag racing from a rolling 15 you REALLY want to start in 1st gear. It's a short gear, but it's not that short. 2nd at 15 mph is waaaaay at the bottom of the rev counter; no wonder it felt slow as hell building steam! lol

Edited by ZenMoto

Guest Alang

I might have been in 1st gear, can't remember for sure. But there was a big lag.

Do you know anything about the map Bazzaz is using? And will they have traction control and/or auto tune?

Thanks

I might have been in 1st gear, can't remember for sure. But there was a big lag.

Do you know anything about the map Bazzaz is using? And will they have traction control and/or auto tune?

Thanks

I do believe they will have an auto tune. Their stock maps will be based on a totally stock VFR and one with an akropovic skip on; they are very thorough with their dyno tuning though, and those maps should be very good.

There will not be traction control. I was told that to make it work on the VFR it needed to be super sensitive and it was just more trouble than it was worth.

Keep in mind that Bazzaz' traction control is not for bad weather or slippery roads, but rather for racetrack purposes, getting the absolute most drive possible while still deep in a turn and leaned over; the odds of making it kick in under street conditions would be nearly impossible (and probably very unsafe). lol

Edited by ZenMoto

• 2 weeks later...

Super interesting Z-Bomb claim... I'm hoping DynoJet will follow suit with an Ignition Retard Controller Module, and some members actually post dyno runs of the Z-Bomb and other fixes, not just claims from manufacturers...

Edited by warrenjrose

Guest Alang

FI unit will be available end of May.

Z bomb in October due to difficulties in obtaining connectors.

Per Chris at Bazzaz. 5/11/11

Super interesting Z-Bomb claim... I'm hoping DynoJet will follow suit with an Ignition Retard Controller Module, and some members actually post dyno runs of the Z-Bomb and other fixes, not just claims from manufacturers...

That graph of the Z-Bomb isn't a "claim" it was my bike, on the dyno, with their prototype Z-Bomb. ...and my engine has noticeably broken in a bit since it was there (according to my butt-dyno) so the overall numbers might be slightly better than that.

...now if only they could source the connectors!!!

• 2 months later...

looks like I'm going with a PC V since Bazzaz says another month before they will sell one to the public. :(

Well, you've heard more than me then. ...at this point, I'm giving up on Bazzaz. They had my bike for a month, and all I have to show for it is 200 dyno miles on my bike and not being able to ride it for a month when it was brand new. :(

I understand it can be hard to get connectors, etc., but you'd think an occasional email to say "hey, we're still working on it" wouldn't be too hard.

Ah well, live and learn.

They really were all super nice, but they are a tiny facility, and probably overwhelmed with actual race stuff this time of year. ...I just think 5 months should be plenty of time.

D

Guest smiffy

I trust they will put a new rear tire on when done..... :mellow:

Hi,

Has anyone tried the PowerFRK unit? According to their website "Smoother throttle response, increased HP/Torque and no flat spots! This is an easy Plug and Play way to optimize your fuel and ignition mapping on your stock or modified motorcycle. As you open the throttle the Power FRK Module makes makes the necessary adjustments for both fuel and ignition performance mapping."

http://www.powerfrkusa.net/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=1083HO12001

I'm a newbie so sorry if this has been covered before somewhere else...

Guest MSGTR
...at this point, I'm giving up on Bazzaz. They had my bike for a month, and all I have to show for it is 200 dyno miles on my bike and not being able to ride it for a month when it was brand new. :(

I understand it can be hard to get connectors, etc., but you'd think an occasional email to say "hey, we're still working on it" wouldn't be too hard.

Ah well, live and learn.

They really were all super nice, but they are a tiny facility, and probably overwhelmed with actual race stuff this time of year. ...I just think 5 months should be plenty of time.

D

I'm sorry to read that. I'll hold out hope that someday, a package will appear on your doorstep, or someone will finally say that they are ready to have you come back for an installation.. good things come to those who wait. :cool:

I'm sorry to read that. I'll hold out hope that someday, a package will appear on your doorstep, or someone will finally say that they are ready to have you come back for an installation.. good things come to those who wait. :cool:

Actually, I had sent another email (1st in over a month) and got a response back from Chris at Bazzaz. ...turns out Ron, who I was dealing with, no longer works there and they will be taking my bike again next week. They still don't have connectors for the Z-Bomb (apparently, Honda did a great job of making it unobtanium) but they will be putting in the Z-Fi unit and making sure my bike is tuned correctly.

It's disappointing that it's taken so long, but at least it's getting done, and I certainly understand how R&D can take a lot of left turns on you, so I'm not the least bit upset over the deal. ...it is what it is.

Hopefully, this is a sign that they will have product on the market for VFR riders in the very near future!!! :)

Guest smiffy

Actually, I had sent another email (1st in over a month) and got a response back from Chris at Bazzaz. ...turns out Ron, who I was dealing with, no longer works there and they will be taking my bike again next week. They still don't have connectors for the Z-Bomb (apparently, Honda did a great job of making it unobtanium) but they will be putting in the Z-Fi unit and making sure my bike is tuned correctly.

It's disappointing that it's taken so long, but at least it's getting done, and I certainly understand how R&D can take a lot of left turns on you, so I'm not the least bit upset over the deal. ...it is what it is.

Hopefully, this is a sign that they will have product on the market for VFR riders in the very near future!!! :)

Any chance you could get Bazzaz to give you some dyno charts that you can publish here, especially a second gear run. Would be interested to see how well the z-fi addresses the torque dip in 1st and second and also how the results compare to the z-bomb and PC V. I came across the following dyno chart for a PC V map:

http://www.fullthrottlepowersports.com.au/system/dyno_image/image/0000/0020/VFR1200F_POWER_DROP_CURE_copy.jpg

http://www.fullthrottlepowersports.com.au/pages/dyno

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance you could get Bazzaz to give you some dyno charts that you can publish here, especially a second gear run. Would be interested to see how well the z-fi addresses the torque dip in 1st and second and also how the results compare to the z-bomb and PC V. I came across the following dyno chart for a PC V map:

http://www.fullthrottlepowersports.com.au/system/dyno_image/image/0000/0020/VFR1200F_POWER_DROP_CURE_copy.jpg

http://www.fullthrottlepowersports.com.au/pages/dyno

The 3rd chart in the first post is 2nd gear with the Z-Bomb (unrestricted 1st and 2nd). I will see if they'll give me new charts, since my engine is fully broken in now, but it probably won't be vastly different.

• Member Contributer

Wow - the dyno graphs show a huge engineered "hole" in the power band. I'm sure that's a combination of regulations imposed (emissions,sound, etc.) and the political view of possible litigation from the marketing people. Same thing happened with the VTEC on the 6th gen. It must suck to the be the engineer on the project and get the marching orders from on high. The reaction from the engineers must be "I gotta do what?" knowing its gonna screw up the bikes power and still have to work around it.

If I had a 7th gen - I would be all over this Bazzaz product - he's one of the best.

Well, a truck from Bazzaz, with my bike in the back, showed up at my house this afternoon! :)

They are *still* waiting on ONE part to finish the Z-Bomb, but finished my bike off with a hand-built connector for the Z-Bomb on my bike.

I will probably get final dyno sheets next week sometime. ...in the meantime, here's my initial impression:

Z-Fi / Fuel mapping: ...perfect! Not an exaggeration, it is simply that better than it was stock; no humps in power, and no giant holes!!!

Z-Bomb: What can I say, I now have full power in 1st & 2nd, and you know what? ...it's very nice, and not the least bit "dangerous". In fact, the bike has completely lost its nervous throttle coming off-idle in 1st & 2nd; it's now VERY easy to ride smoothly in those gears, making 2nd my new go-to gear for my local twisties (with the occasional dip into 3rd). The bike is simply SAFER to ride now as it behaves much better in the lower gears!

Quick Shifter: ...this will take a little getting used to, but it is smoooooth! I didn't know if they were going to do it or not, but they did and it's awesome! As long as you're over 3000rpm you can just up-shift with no clutch, and it seamlessly clicks into gear without having to let off the throttle. I've never had a quick shift before, but I LIKE it! :)

Traction Control: This is another thing I didn't think they were going to do, but they did. It's really meant for the race-track, to allow you to dial in just the right amount of "slip" while putting the power down hard, but they tell me it will work just as well in the wet. ...obviously, I haven't had a chance to notice it working (and may not for some time), but it's cool that they developed it!

Handlebar Controls: This last bit was a total surprise! They mounted a control cluster under my left bar that has a 2-position toggle for switching between Map 1 & Map 0 on the Z-Fi unit, as well as a dial for adjusting the sensitivity of the traction control (currently set to mid-point).

Overall the whole thing is very clean and professional (what would you expect from Bazzaz) and the bike is, quite simply, transformed!

I'll try to get some pics of the little control cluster as well as the quick shift and Z-Fi, etc. to put online.

...tomorrow, I go riding!!! :)

Bazzaz is Badazz!!!

• Member Contributer

Well, a truck from Bazzaz, with my bike in the back, showed up at my house this afternoon! :)

They are *still* waiting on ONE part to finish the Z-Bomb, but finished my bike off with a hand-built connector for the Z-Bomb on my bike.

I will probably get final dyno sheets next week sometime. ...in the meantime, here's my initial impression:

Z-Fi / Fuel mapping: ...perfect! Not an exaggeration, it is simply that better than it was stock; no humps in power, and no giant holes!!!

Z-Bomb: What can I say, I now have full power in 1st & 2nd, and you know what? ...it's very nice, and not the least bit "dangerous". In fact, the bike has completely lost its nervous throttle coming off-idle in 1st & 2nd; it's now VERY easy to ride smoothly in those gears, making 2nd my new go-to gear for my local twisties (with the occasional dip into 3rd). The bike is simply SAFER to ride now as it behaves much better in the lower gears!

Quick Shifter: ...this will take a little getting used to, but it is smoooooth! I didn't know if they were going to do it or not, but they did and it's awesome! As long as you're over 3000rpm you can just up-shift with no clutch, and it seamlessly clicks into gear without having to let off the throttle. I've never had a quick shift before, but I LIKE it! :)

Traction Control: This is another thing I didn't think they were going to do, but they did. It's really meant for the race-track, to allow you to dial in just the right amount of "slip" while putting the power down hard, but they tell me it will work just as well in the wet. ...obviously, I haven't had a chance to notice it working (and may not for some time), but it's cool that they developed it!

Handlebar Controls: This last bit was a total surprise! They mounted a control cluster under my left bar that has a 2-position toggle for switching between Map 1 & Map 0 on the Z-Fi unit, as well as a dial for adjusting the sensitivity of the traction control (currently set to mid-point).

Overall the whole thing is very clean and professional (what would you expect from Bazzaz) and the bike is, quite simply, transformed!

I'll try to get some pics of the little control cluster as well as the quick shift and Z-Fi, etc. to put online.

...tomorrow, I go riding!!! :)

Bazzaz is Badazz!!!

I'm curious if Bazazz is actually altering ignition timing or if it's like the PC5 which is fuel mapping only. I find it hard to believe that they make such a drastic change to the power curve with only a fuel map. Not saying it can't be done, but engine tuning is a mix of several variables, fuel mapping is but one variable. Please see if you can find out more about what they did besides fueling. Thanks.