Helibar Installation - 6th Gen

BonemanVFR

Got them installed and all I can say is this was $300 well spent! Thank you all who have previously posted about Helibars. The information was invalubale! Here is my little write up.

Full details are also here on my site: Boneman's VFR Site - Helibars

Date: April 22, 2011

Cost: $270.00 CDN (+ $30 USPS shipping + $37 Duty/taxes)

Purchased: eBay - NEAFCycle

Manufacturer: Helibar

Mod Time: 1.5 hours

Part No.: HB01003

After doing much research on Helibars on both VFRD and VFRWorld, I decided to invest the $300+ and hoped to increase my comfort level on the VFR.

Not that the VFR is uncomfortable, but for my particular case I found I would get excessive neck/upper shoulder pain after about 45 minutes. This is primarily due to a previous mountain biking accident back in 2000 where I took a 5' drop onto my head and compressed my neck & spine. So I wanted to make the VFR more suitable for my personal comfort requirements. I've heard nothing but positive reviews regarding the Helibars so I decided to make the investment.

Here are some helpful threads about Helibars:

http://vfrworld.com/...eli-bars-2.html

Installation Guide:

This is a great installation guide done by one of the VFRWorld members (ottrod) and since he has already done a fantastic "How To" write up, I'm not going to go into any great detail on my installation.

http://vfrworld.com/...re-you-try.html

Installation was pretty straight forward. I found the Helibar instructions to be pretty straight forward and easy to follow.

1. Cutting off the Locator Tabs

As per the instructions, I sued a Dremel rotary tool with a cutting disc and removed the tabs off the Brake and Clutch reservoirs. The clutch side only needed the forward tab removed.

P4220032.JPG

P4220033.JPG

2. Removing The Grips:

There has been LOTS of discussion on how to go about removing the grips. All I did was use my air compressor with my air gun attachment and fired some air under the grip and presto, they swelled up like a balloon and off they came in about 4 seconds.

To re-install the grips, a few squirts of hairspary did the trick.

3. Removing the Dampers:

The most difficult part was getting the bar dampers out of the OEM handlebars, but they weren't that bad to get out. I spoke with my local Honda dealership before I started and he reassured me getting them out was pretty simple. I left the OEM bars on the bike to remove the damper units. I have a vice, but it's not attached to my bench, as well as the Honda tech also recommended leaving the bars on the bike. The trick to removing these is to make sure that you push in and twist the two little locking tabs. Once done, some pulling an wiggling will get the damper unit out. In the picture below you can see the locking collar

P4220034.JPG

4. Installing the Helibars

Installing the Helibars is straight forward. I found they are a very tight tolerance when trying to slide them over the fork tubes. I cleaned the tubes with mineral spirits and used mineral spirits like a lubricant to help the Helibars slide on. I measured the vertical position and decided on 0.275" from the top of the tubes to the top of the Helibar clamp.

P4220035.JPG

I adjusted both bars to what I felt was a comfortable position for me and aligned both. I checked that they did not interfere with hitting the tank on full lock and made sure none of the brake or throttle lines caught or got hung up on anything. I torqued the bolts to their specified 12ftlbs and went for a test ride.

P4220036.JPG

Initial Impressions:

MONEY WELL SPENT!!

Went for a little ride and no neck/back pain! Will have to try a long haul to feel the full benefits of these bars, but I already know this was a good decision for me and my VFR.

- Boneman

Edited by BonemanVFR
  • Like 1

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the write up. i have a set of new Helibars on my bench waiting to go on. Have been reluctant to make the dremel cuts - but yours looks very clean - nice job. OK - I have no excuses now. Thanks!

Guest checksi6

Initial Impressions:

MONEY WELL SPENT!!

I must agree, Boneman! I ordered from the same location this week also. Great minds think alike. :biggrin: Also, I have to agree on the compressed air to remove and install grips - make the process a real breeze.....pun intended. My buddy liked the Helis so well he ordered a pair last night.

Guest PastorGumby

Great info and pics!!! :fing02: I'm right behind you installers... the list is too long of things to do on my VFeR!

Black Helis- w/ new Throttle lock and Black Kuryakyn ISO grips for now :beer:

Edited by PastorGumby

Very nice write up on the heli installation.

Just my opinion, as for putting any kind of lube to fit the bars to the fork tubes, due to unwanted slippage after install. All that need be done is to put a wedge in the space to srpead the bar clamp.