Just Installed a Compufire Series Regulator

DaveB

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15o7br7.jpg

Found a cheap FH020 but this picture rang an alarm bell. Any guesses if it is cosmetic damage or something inside the rectifier might have gotten so hot that it has melted the back cover?

• Member Contributer

RM30504H.jpg

It is time to update or replace your voltage regulator with the advanced MOSFET type. This modern, ultra-reliable design can handle up to 50amp peaks and 30amp continuous 3 phase, 30amp single phase. It runs cooler than all OEM diode style regulators. In addition, this rectifier has overheat protection, rather than burn up it will simply turn off for a while and cool off.
  • Direct replacement to your original unit.
  • Plug-and-play, direct fit, easy installation.
  • No assembly required
  • Higher grade of electronic components.
  • Improved heat sink and charging capabilities
  • The Quality exceeds the OEM equipment
  • All products shipped are tested
  • One year limited warranty
We have even included the opposite connector (main harness side) as we know these are often melted/corroded/defective and a major cause for repetitive electrical issues.

http://www.rmstator.com/en/mosfet-regulators-1/mosfet-regulator-rectifier-rm30504h

• Member Contributer

I'll give the new series rr a try if/when my fh020aa ever dies. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am thinking that when Shindengen has their 50 amp unit fully developed, will be the one to go with.

• Member Contributer

I'll give the new series rr a try if/when my fh020aa ever dies. Thanks for the info.

I am thinking that when Shindengen has their 50 amp unit fully developed, will be the one to go with.

They have been working on it for a long time , personally I think they have stopped .

RM30504H.jpg

It is time to update or replace your voltage regulator with the advanced MOSFET type. This modern, ultra-reliable design can handle up to 50amp peaks and 30amp continuous 3 phase, 30amp single phase. It runs cooler than all OEM diode style regulators. In addition, this rectifier has overheat protection, rather than burn up it will simply turn off for a while and cool off.
  • Direct replacement to your original unit.
  • Plug-and-play, direct fit, easy installation.
  • No assembly required
  • Higher grade of electronic components.
  • Improved heat sink and charging capabilities
  • The Quality exceeds the OEM equipment
  • All products shipped are tested
  • One year limited warranty
We have even included the opposite connector (main harness side) as we know these are often melted/corroded/defective and a major cause for repetitive electrical issues.

http://www.rmstator.com/en/mosfet-regulators-1/mosfet-regulator-rectifier-rm30504h

As wired this will won't work for a VFR. The stator plug is wrong for the 98+ and the R/R plug would only work with 98-99 (but the stator plug is wrong). You can of course use the included adapters to change the bikes wiring...but I prefer to change the R/R wiring to match the bike.

• Member Contributer

Why go through all this trouble of rr research, if your just going to use the rr/stator connections that always burn up and fail?

Not me I learnt my lesson ...

• 3 weeks later...

Why go through all this trouble of rr research, if your just going to use the rr/stator connections that always burn up and fail?

Because the connectors are a symptom, not the problem. It's like bypassing a fuse that keeps blowing, sure the fuse doesn't blow but now you have pushed the issue into a more critical part. The connectors are not designed to act as a fuse but if you bypass them you risk the issue showing in other, harder to fix, areas.

They still fail even with a healthy charging system. My friend just got a cherry superhawk. The charging system went out. I talked him into getting an FH020AA regulator rectifier and an OEM Stator, but I could not convince him to direct solder the connection between the two. The connection lasted a month and burned up. I had a lot of fun at his expense and then we cut it out and soldered it. It has been fine ever since.

They still fail even with a healthy charging system. My friend just got a cherry superhawk. The charging system went out. I talked him into getting an FH020AA regulator rectifier and an OEM Stator, but I could not convince him to direct solder the connection between the two. The connection lasted a month and burned up. I had a lot of fun at his expense and then we cut it out and soldered it. It has been fine ever since.

what did he use for connections? 1 month sounds very suspect....people ride these bikes for decades with less issues.

That is crazy. Bike must live in a garage. And be ridden with RPMs low and in cold ambient temperatures. That or you're just the luckiest guy alive lol

• Member Contributer

The latter!!!!!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Switchblade!

Any update on the SH775?

Still running it, and why do you not have any confidence in it as stated in earlier posts?

I've got the FH012 in mine, and it seems to be going great for several years. But now that I'm basically 100% LED I'm wondering if I should be going with a series. I put a CompuFIre in my RC51, but Timmy's got that now. Should be better in that application since it's a twin and RPM's stay a bit lower.

Archived