Front fairing removal how to and K&N install

• Forum CEO

I have about 9000 miles on the veefalo now and I am always getting ready for the next big ride, this season I needed to inspect the airfilter and I just went ahead and bought a K&N online - they are about $50 bucks for a vfr1200 average. I took both pictures and video for this project

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/uploads/videos/491/fairing.mp4

There is no hd segment so turn off HD, then I took pictures along the way too, and I half arsed installed a few pieces of a tank slapper kit on the most worn parts of the body work of the bike. Install the rest later when time allows.

gallery_491_5422_150178.jpg

Tank Slapper kit vfr1200 I have only installed one of the front covers and the tank pieces where my jacket rubs against the tank

gallery_491_5422_121413.jpg

Location of the large plastic fastener

gallery_491_5422_222583.jpg

Removing the large snap in plastic fastner this fastens the fairing to the tank cover

gallery_491_5422_109960.jpg

Removing a small plastic fastner left side fairing inside the wheel well hard to reach behind the forks push in the cap and remove the fastener

gallery_491_5422_637280.jpg

To reinstall the small plastic fastner pull out the rod or cap this will allow the fastener to be able to fit back into the hole

gallery_491_5422_247401.jpg

removing the last plastic fastener from the left side fairing lower push in the cap and pull out the fastener

gallery_491_5422_388458.jpg

Removing lower right side fairing 5mm bolt bolts to the radiator skirt

gallery_491_5422_211249.jpg

removing trim piece fastener from the left side tank cover push in the cap and remove the fastner

gallery_491_5422_489010.jpg

removing the rear 5mm bolt on the left side tank cover

gallery_491_5422_170939.jpg

removing right tank cover front fastner push in the cap and pull out the fastner

gallery_491_5422_79212.jpg

Pulling out the left fairing from the left tank cover the snap in connector was removed first and a built in plastic dowel guides into a hole in the tank cover to line up in one smooth shape

gallery_491_5422_90752.jpg

Removing 5mm bolt from rear of the left side fairing

gallery_491_5422_209686.jpg

Removing upper 5mm bolt there is also a phillips head screw below that you do not need to remove

gallery_491_5422_211249.jpg

removing trim piece fastener from the left side tank cover push in the cap and remove the fastner

gallery_491_5422_489010.jpg

removing the rear 5mm bolt on the left side tank cover

gallery_491_5422_170939.jpg

removing right tank cover front fastner push in the cap and pull out the fastner

gallery_491_5422_79212.jpg

Pulling out the left fairing from the left tank cover the snap in connector was removed first and a built in plastic dowel guides into a hole in the tank cover to line up in one smooth shape

gallery_491_5422_24209.jpg

Right side fairing removed

gallery_491_5422_121233.jpg

Fairing fasteners 4 small push in plastic fastners 3 5mm bolts and one larger snap in fastner with a pull out handle I used the small hex tool to push in the caps to get out the smaller plastic fasteners

gallery_491_5422_246998.jpg

removeing the 5mm bolt from the front of the tank cover

gallery_491_5422_111395.jpg

Fuel pump new style fuel feed connections level sensor and fuel pump power connectors no longer has a fuel return hose just a vent hose and an over fill drain hose for 3 hoses instead of four like on older models

gallery_491_5422_223371.jpg

5mm bolt hole to the right bottom

gallery_491_5422_181474.jpg

Pulling off the tank cover removed the four fastners pulled out the plugs and now snapping off the heavy duty velcro style fasteners

gallery_491_5422_236836.jpg

Inside a tank cover uses heavy duty velcro snap on fastener two guided plug into grommets two 5mm bolts and two small plastic snap in fasteners

gallery_491_5422_634874.jpg

9000 mile oem unit not too bad but full of dead bugs

gallery_491_5422_781637.jpg

OEM filter compared next to KandN the OEM has a screen and a grate behind that

gallery_491_5422_132550.jpg

vfr1200 kn filter pleated protusion fits faceing upward

gallery_491_5422_283166.jpg

Airbox Temperature Sensor same unit used on my old 98

gallery_491_5422_11657.jpg

Coil on plugs newer coil technology no loss of voltage with coil on plug

gallery_491_5422_77982.jpg

Tank Slapper Lower Tank Piece the 3m film needed to be cut to clear the vfrd graphics, they will not seal around other stickers so close to the edge.

gallery_491_5422_73492.jpg

Tank Slapper Front Tank Piece Dry fitting and cutting to clear vfrd graphics

EDIT adding snaps of the service manual taken by my phone (scanner not working at the moment)

gallery_491_5422_381042.jpg

2011 05 08 18 54 02 889

gallery_491_5422_1494589.jpg

2011 05 08 18 53 52 992

gallery_491_5422_541344.jpg

2011 05 08 18 53 28 663

gallery_491_5422_1136114.jpg

2011 05 08 18 53 19 918

gallery_491_5422_937294.jpg

2011 05 08 18 53 08 936

gallery_491_5422_772269.jpg

2011 05 08 18 52 32 746

OMG. What is it with Honda and their fairings, lately? Waaaay too complex.

BTW, I'm not a fan of the K & N air filters. I have one on my Yamaha, (--needed as part of the jetting mods I had done), and it needed some work with a dremel tool to fit in. I would never dream of using K & N's on my Honda with its ram-air set-up. My buddy, who is a bike mechanic, does not like them at all.

• Forum CEO

BTW, I'm not a fan of the K & N air filters. I have one on my Yamaha, (--needed as part of the jetting mods I had done), and it needed some work with a dremel tool to fit in. I would never dream of using K & N's on my Honda with its ram-air set-up. My buddy, who is a bike mechanic, does not like them at all.

I ran one on the old girl for 80,000 miles, they clog up faster then an oem but a wash and a fresh spray of K&N oil and they are good as new, garuanteed to fit or they will give you a new one. I broke one and they sent me another one free of charge - I trust the K&N from personal experience, they require maintence but then again so does the OEM or rather replacement or blowing it out.

@duchgixxer - step one is not required if you undo the snap in as shown. Of course if your changing the oil then by all means go for it, add 5 minutes

I ran one on the old girl for 80,000 miles, they clog up faster then an oem but a wash and a fresh spray of K&N oil and they are good as new, garuanteed to fit or they will give you a new one. I broke one and they sent me another one free of charge - I trust the K&N from personal experience, they require maintence but then again so does the OEM or rather replacement or blowing it out.

@duchgixxer - step one is not required if you undo the snap in as shown. Of course if your changing the oil then by all means go for it, add 5 minutes

My buddy said that K & N is okay in a "passive system," (like my FZ's where the filter is behind the motor), but he didn't like them in ram-air applications or on cruisers where the air-filter is fed by a big scoop. He says they flow more air because their gauze-like media has bigger "holes." This lets more dirt into the motor... Not the most technical explanation, for sure--but that's perfect for me, (-I can barely change my bike's oil!!).

I change the K & N on my FZ at the beginning of every season...I've never washed it.

Actually, once you've done it once or twice, the new fairings are quite easy to take apart, and I love that there are no obvious fasteners. I'm amazed at the creativity of the engineers that put this thing together. It actually seems easier to work on than the 4th and 5th gens I had.

• Member Contributer

Hopefully this isn't another one of my dumb questions, but why does HS refer to his bike as "veefalo"? A combination of VFR & Colorado?

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this isn't another one of my dumb questions, but why does HS refer to his bike as "veefalo"? A combination of VFR & Colorado?

When the bike came out, a couple of euro magazines like Motociclismo of Spain/Italy said it looked like a pissed off buffalo and referred to the bike as La búfala (spanish feminine word for Buffalo). Vee (for V4)+ falo (shortened buffalo)=veefalo. Just search for the word buffalo on this site for more details.

Guest GSIG

Can I remove the side tank cover panels without removing the actual side fairing panels first? Can you confirm how many fixing points there are and where they are located. I think your post mentions 5 but I can only find 4. Thanks for your help.

• Forum CEO

When the bike came out, a couple of euro magazines like Motociclismo of Spain/Italy said it looked like a pissed off buffalo and referred to the bike as La búfala (spanish feminine word for Buffalo). Vee (for V4)+ falo (shortened buffalo)=veefalo. Just search for the word buffalo on this site for more details.

Yea a Buffalo some say is what the vfr1200 looks like, came out of some magazines and it does look a bit like a buffalo but I did not name it veefalo that came from my buddy dutchinterceptor

Can I remove the side tank cover panels without removing the actual side fairing panels first? Can you confirm how many fixing points there are and where they are located. I think your post mentions 5 but I can only find 4. Thanks for your help.

No you cannot the tank cover is bolted in underneith the side fairings so you have to remove them first - I suppose you can remove the back fasteners and just pull it out of the way but that might crack the plastic? Fixing points on the fairing or the tank covers? Edit added some service manual pics to the original post

Edited by HispanicSlammer