I should check this out on my now down Vtec, but I guess the new Main harness will take care of it.

No it won't... don't think about it... just do it!! Prevention is better than cure.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Has your bike been under water? So much corrotion is not normal.

You are indeed lucky it didn't start to burn.

As for grounding, I always use one of these:

20326-Borgring_M2_10stukjpg.jpg

between the groundwires and the bolt-point, that will make sure there is good contact even when there is dirt or paint.

• Member Contributer

Did you park it wet after such a wash?

Because if you don't let it dry, water will give such effects on contacts.

A simple solution is to (with every big maint) to smear the contacts with Vaseline.

That stops water/air-corrosion in total.

And I use Kerosene to clean contacts as it leaves a film on the contacts that resists water too.

Simple rule: Water and Electrics don't mix, so keep water out as much as possible to make your electrics last longer.

That is also why they deliver Vaseline with a new battery, to smear on the contacts to keep them from eroding.

If you have time next maint, examine all connectors that can collect water and put Vaseline on them (yes you may even put in ON the contacts!) , it works wonders, and you can't use too much of it as it won't hurt :smile:

Vaseline is effective and costs near to nothing, but do clean corroded contacts FIRST before you apply it, else it keeps corroding even with the Vaseline in place.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Just solder them all together, I also added a new 4mm earth lead straight back to the battery.

Sealed it all up and never looked back.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, I had the same problem. I found out that the issue was the yellow connector with green wires only. Ground box you say.
Its contacts were oxidated inside.. This connectror is located next (under) to the left low beam bulb.

DSC_0240.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

wow, 5 years later, and I hope I don't curse myself by saying that the repairs have been perfect.

zero issues.

good info for anyone with random FI light issues not traceable to an FI component fault

• 3 months later...

I have read this thread but all the pics are not coming up except for the one yellow ground block underneath the Low beam headlight.  My 2000 died on me and I was awarded a 2 mile hike pushing the bike.

4 minutes ago, xpcgamer said:

My 2000 died on me and I was awarded a 2 mile hike pushing the bike.

Wow, quite a push. I pushed a bike about 100 pounds lighter to the shop about 1/2 mile once.

Decided I would never do that again. :wacko:

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, xpcgamer said:

Yeah I passed a couple of canal's that were pretty deep looking and was tempted!

To push the bike into or for you to take a dip?! :wink:

Push "Into".  Cut me some slack.  It was 96 outside and humidity was @ 90%.  I walked (pushed) for a mile with no shade what so ever in the sun.  My buddy kept driving by with water bottles and letting me sit in the car to cool off with AC every now and then.  Dude it was rough!

• 5 months later...

I had to join this group just to say thanks.

If it wasn't for this post I'd probably be tearing my hair out by now.

I recently bought a 1999 5th Gen VFR and it all ran smoothly for a few months until the useless aftermarket datatool alarm started playing up.

It took all of 30 minutes to rip out and re-crimp the disturbed wires back together. All was good for a few weeks then the FI light started flickering randomly, eventually it stayed on permanently when the lights were on, and with the lights off it came on with application of the brakes. I could live with this as the bike was running ok, but eventually every time the light came on the engine cut out as if I'd hit the kill switch. This made riding it home quite interesting.

After a bit of head scratching I googled the symptoms and ended up here, went straight to the garage and snipped of the connector, replaced it with a household 4 way earth block and ran another wire from the block to the main earth on the other side of the bike. I covered the new block and exposed cables in self amalgamating tape and not had an issue since.

Great fix and cost me a total of £1.40 for the earth block.

Thanks again guys

• 2 months later...

Archived