drive sprockets

robwalmsley

• Member Contributer

Hi members ,im nearly ready for drive sprocket and chain change on my 750,can any member tell me the pros and cons of changing to non standard sprocket number of teeth.im interested.in more touring tank range.the bike is already very snatchy in urban area riding.but fine 5000 revs. :fing02:

I have not ridden a 4th gen,but if your thinking of touring I would stay with stock gearing and be happy like you already are with it. Otherwise I would tend to add teeth to the rear myself for quicker acceleration as I live in the twisties, but that's not touring ideal IMO! :fing02:

BR

• Member Contributer

Changing gearing is a good and cheap modification. As Bailyrock said, if you plan on crusing and touring for the most part, stock gearing is likely your best bet.

Many VFR owners will go down one tooth on the front sprocket. This will improve initial acceleration and provide better drive off of the corners, and make the bike work better in the twisties. Also during normal riding you will shift out of first gear a bit earlier. When crusing your engine will run a bit higher rpm and your gas mileage may go down just a bit.

Or you could go up two on the rear sprocket. This is a more subtle change but will still be noticeable in the twisties and under initial acceleration. This is what I did and to me it feels like the gearing the bike should have had all along.

Mine's a 98, but one tooth down in front was great for acceleration.

Probably doesn't help gas mileage, but I rarely check that. :biggrin: