6th gen high beams

Guest MrGone

Guest MrGone

I'm not sure if this is a question for the Modification forum or the Maintenance forum, but I'm wondering is anyone has replaced the H7 55-watt bulbs on their 6th gen bike with the H7 100-watt bulbs? Overheating? Electrical shorts? Blown fuses?

I might upgrade the entire electrical system this winter, but I have a big tour of the U.S. planned in a month and I'm looking to simply replace all the light bulbs (which all need to be replaced, anyway) but I'm wondering if going from 55-watt H& high beams up to 100-watt high beams is going to cause me any problems.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of simple upgrade? And what type/brand did you use? Specifically, I'm looking at the Sylvania SilverStars, which are supposed to be pretty good without breaking the bank.

Thanks in advance.

Id use GE brand Bulbs , avoid Phillips , and silver stars are known high failure, the ultras might be a little better. But the cost of those bulbs , is a gamble.

But ive had Ge walmart in my bike for the last 50 or 60,000 miles, where I was blowing the phillips every few months.

Edited by spud786

Ahh yes...brighter bulb syndrome....

For the sake of this discussion, I'll assume you are staying with Halogen type bulbs.

The long and the short of it, the brighter the bulb, the shorter the life.

I know some people may disagree but as I understand it ALL incandescent bulbs run hotter the brighter they are. So if you want more lumens (light) you have to burn more power, which means more heat in that tiny, itsy, bitsy little filament. So those 'extra bright' bulbs (Silverstar et al) don't last long because they reduce the filamet resistance slightly to burn brighter (and hotter) and as we all know lifespan is ferociously tied to heat in all things electrical and mechanical.

After saying all that, I think running 100W units in place of the standard 50W (I thought H7s were 50, H4s are 55W) will result in lotsa light but at a cost of extreme operating temps around the bulb and local wiring, not to mention taxing our 'fragile' electrical system.

A little off topic but 210W of running lights is not enough for you (2x H4 + 2x H7)? :ohmy: Have you verified the aim of you lights? Each one is adjustable for left/right and up/down. Also remember if you change your pre-load the aim changes as well.

Brian

• Member Contributer

I agree with both of these guys: Silverstar bulbs don't last long.

Forum member Tightwad recently came out with an HID kit for the 6th gen. VFR. You may want to look into it.

• Member Contributer

I have Tightwads HID kit in my 6th gen. The light pattern is good, visibility is incredible and HID bulbs last forever... oh and only 35watts!

If you really want to stick with Halogen bulbs, look into the PIAA replacements ($$$$). I ran them in all of my ATV's, they put out more light at the same wattage and I can't say that I ever remember having to replace one, even with all the jarring around they took in the off road environment.

• Member Contributer

I've run Phillips Vision Plus (IIRC) in the stock wattages. for the last 25,000 miles and have no complaints.

I have run higher wattages in the past and can attest to two things:

- they run substantially hotter (I ran them in in a single head light set up in a metal shell/reflector.

- they REQUIRE higher rated relays and heavier wireing. I used 12 ga.

You might want to look at auxiliary lights instead.

Guest MrGone

I'm using the PIAA bulbs now. H7's and H4's. I like the white light better.

DSCN1042.jpg

Rusty - no overheating or electric problems? And did you notice a difference with visibility range? Are they white? Or very light blue?

Also, I'm finding these lights for around $50-$55 per pair — is that about what you paid?

thanks,

Matthew