VFR800 - the engine just dies on me at random intervals - is it electrically related?

Guest Wickybicky

Guest Wickybicky

Hi VFRD

Can you help? I have a wonderful 1999 VFR 800 which I love. Unfortunately it is poorly at the moment - the engine is cutting out when I'm riding and I'm wondering if it's electrically related. I noticed that the FI light has started coming on when I turn on my lights and wondered if it was a problem with the alternator. I took it in and checked it out - it's charging the battery fine when the lights are off and when at reasonable revs when the lights are on but not at idle with the lights on. I took it for a run yesterday morning and rode 60 miles with the lights on, no problems. I stopped for a break, lights off and started off again but a mile down the road the engine cut out as I was riding. The ignition stayed on and I tried starting it again but nothing happened. I turned off the ignition and then on again and it started first time. I set off and 2 miles later it cut out on me again. This happened at 2 mile intervals for the next few miles until I pulled in to a services for a cry. Having given the bike a rest for 30 minutes I set off again and got 30 miles before it cut out again and this repeated at varying intervals after I gave the bike a rest. I've been having a read on the site and wondered if it may be an electrical problem, maybe a cable earthing somewhere. Can anybody give me some advice or pointers please? Many thanks.

Wickybicky

Wade through these threads and then go check out your grounding block (earth cluster to those with Silly Walks)

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=grounding+block+site%3Avfrdiscussion.com&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

If it happens again while you are riding, try flipping your kill switch off and on again whilst at speed, and see if it relights, no need to turn the key.

Hi Veefer800Canuck

Thanks for your post. I've had a quick read and one post describes exactly the problem with a picture of a charred grounding block - fingers crossed this could be it! Thank you so much for your help - you're a star! This weekend I'll have it appart and see if that's it. This site is brilliant - only 24 hours ago I was nearly weeping at the side of the road and now have a clear idea of where to look (hopefully). Long live VFRD! Thanks again Veefer800Canuck!

Wickybicky

Hi and sorry for your troubles!

Veefer has started you with some great info. Can you provide a little more info on what happens & when, like throttle(rpm), steady, on/off, or at idle. Does it just stop dead or starve out like a fuel issue?

Many things could be causing a simple elec Short and could be as simple as a faulty battery.

The more info you provide the easier it is for us to try and help! :biggrin:

BR

Hi BaileyRock

Thanks for your response. This is the first time I've had the problem - it seemed to be independant of speed (though always when I was riding - anything from 30mph to 60mph), state or rpm (4000rpm - 6000rpm) and it just stopped dead rather than starving out. Thanks for your help - much appreciated! :fing02:

Wickybicky

Thanks HispanicSlammer! I'm starting to feel really hopeful of finding out the problem and maybe even sorting it myself! :fing02: You guys are great - thanks again!

Wickybicky

Hi

Mine was doing that and if you have to cycle the key to restart check your bank angle sensor if the the other suggestions are eliminated

i replaced it, no problems now for several years

Good luck and let us know what you find out

Hi y2kRC46

Thanks for the post and advice - much appreciated! I'm beginning to think that I may have my work cut out for me! Everyone I've spoken to since I bought the bike last year has said how wonderful and reliable they are - you guys are so knowledgeable about what can go wrong on them you're scaring me! I have to say that the links and documents that have been sent are brilliant - what a great site and great members.

In fairness, I love the VFR and am keeping my fingers crossed it's something simple.

Thanks again!

• Member Contributer

Right! now go to the Welcome section and post up with a picture of your VFR! :laughing6-hehe:

OK, OK, Dutchy - photo uploaded - it's not the best pic so I'll have to get a few next time out (when I fixed this problem!). Thanks again everyone for your help!

Wickybicky

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bartman

I have a confession to make - I've been working away from home and last weekend I didn't have the chance for a tinker as I was digging up my driveway all weekend (the shame of it!) More digging this weekend but will be on the case by Monday latest and am keeping my fingers crossed. I'll post you an update with news of my success (hopefully!)

All the best

Wickybicky

• Member Contributer

...and I opened up mine and found the problem.

Check/replace all the wiring and connectors for burning, then troubleshoot with this flow chart.

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

Other than electrical issues they are bulletproof bikes for the most part. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys, latest update... I finished the drive and jumped into the garage like it was an oasis in a desert. I opened up the links that you guys kindly sent and stripped off the fairing and found the earthing block - all looked fine, no evidence of any charring or overheating. Next I found the electrical connection for the fault self-diagnosis but couldn't get anything at all on that - no faults at all apparently. I am now at the limits of my ability and almost all the links suggested these two starting points – I donned my gear and jumped on to drive the bike to a mechanic who should have more luck (he bl**dy well better!) and the bike wouldn’t start... I jump started it and got it in to the mechanic but I now have a real sinking feeling that it could be as simple as the battery is just stuffed. He’s putting in a new battery and going to have a play to see if he can find the fault – will update you all later this week.

Thanks all,

WickyBicky

• 3 weeks later...

MY 99 isdoing the same exact thing. To the Letter. I just bought mine about a month ago and I am using it to commute. Last night it started doing what you described here. I thought it was because of the weather conditions I was in. The sky was literally dumping buckets of water on me for 2 hrs. I did run the battery dead by acident yesterday and had to jump it and then rode it on a 2hr ride to my dads and put it on a slow charge for 3 or 4 hrs and on the ride back it started acting up. Happened 4-5 timesin 130 miles. Please let me know if you figure it out and will do the same!

Hi VFR99er

Would you believe that it was just the battery? I checked it out for the faults that our friends on VFRD suggested, then had a mechanic crawl all over it and couldn't find a fault. Then he put a new battery on and it was as good as new. I did a 920 mile ride last weekend over two and a half days and in all weathers and not a hint of a problem! It would appear that I just killed the battery over the winter by letting it go flat and it was only taking a very small charge and it was this that was causing the fault. If you hadn't said about the problem with the battery I would have suggested following the links below and investigating the earthing box etc first but it might be better to borrow a battery from a kindly friend and put the bike through its paces with a good sized ride first - if all is OK then I'd suggest a new battery is needed. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Wickybicky

• 4 weeks later...
Guest GVFRFR

Hi VFRD

Can you help? I have a wonderful 1999 VFR 800 which I love. Unfortunately it is poorly at the moment - the engine is cutting out when I'm riding and I'm wondering if it's electrically related. I noticed that the FI light has started coming on when I turn on my lights and wondered if it was a problem with the alternator. I took it in and checked it out - it's charging the battery fine when the lights are off and when at reasonable revs when the lights are on but not at idle with the lights on. I took it for a run yesterday morning and rode 60 miles with the lights on, no problems. I stopped for a break, lights off and started off again but a mile down the road the engine cut out as I was riding. The ignition stayed on and I tried starting it again but nothing happened. I turned off the ignition and then on again and it started first time. I set off and 2 miles later it cut out on me again. This happened at 2 mile intervals for the next few miles until I pulled in to a services for a cry. Having given the bike a rest for 30 minutes I set off again and got 30 miles before it cut out again and this repeated at varying intervals after I gave the bike a rest. I've been having a read on the site and wondered if it may be an electrical problem, maybe a cable earthing somewhere. Can anybody give me some advice or pointers please? Many thanks.

Wickybicky

HI.

I'm french ans my English is poor. I'm french

So i see you problem and i solved it.

Use Google translate to understand.

"VFR VTEC ABS 50000 Km Année 2003

Révision Honda.

Option: Poignée chauffante montée par Honda.

Panne précédentes: AUCUNE

Roule Tout temps ( y compris sous cascade de d'eau..)

Parcours moyen 100Km, Peu de ville, beaucoup d'autoroute.

Régime moteurs rarement poussés

Problèmes de coupure moteur (voyant FI s'allume),forte décélération en roulage, et sans agir sur les gaz, si le régime moteur est suffisant, le moteur reprend dans les 2 a 5 secondes, sa course normale, le voyant s'éteint.

Autre Constat:

- Le moteur de coupe aussi, au ralenti (moteur froid ou chaud) quand je recule la moto, et comme par hasard, quand je descend un trottoir!

- En roulant le moteur de coupe et reprend dans les 2 à 5 sec, quand je passe sur une route avec des trous formés, et surtout, si je passe dans un nid de poule marqué.

Batterie repos > 12v / En charge 13 a 14 v.=> ce n'est pas le régulateur

Problème survenu après un nettoyage chiffon en profondeur et lavage à grande eaux. Un autre hasard!!

Hypothèse:

un problème de contact.

1) un boitier mal alimenté ou débranché

2) une usure d'un câble

3) Le capteur de chute

4) Le capteur de béquille

1)=> démontage des 2 flancs, et déconnexion de tous les connecteurs.

Nettoyage de toutes les cosses.

Utilisation bombe: "3en1 Technique", Nettoyant contact contre dépôts oxydation Électrique Électronique

Éviter WD40 (Mise au point pour la NASA) car reste un peu gras mais chasse bien l'humidité)

Démontage et remontage de tous les fusibles, y compris sous selle.

Vérification cosses batterie.

Normal

2) => Pas d'usure apparente hors gaine.

Normal

3) => Capteur de chute en place.

Mettre moto en route, se faire aider, et pencher la moto.

Le moteur se coupe.

Normal

3) Capteur de béquille.

50000km, le ressort de rappel de la béquille latérale gauche a été sollicité.

Le capteur accessible (sans rien démonter pour une fois...)

Cette hypothèse corrobore le jeu de béquille constaté.

Le contact est peu être en cause, mais la course de détection du capteur reste le plus probable.

Régler cette course.

Problème absent durant les 100 km déjà parcourus.(fuc.ing Béquille!!)

A suivre prochaine Mise a jour Fin juin 2011, pour confirmer ou pas la résolution....

PROVERB:

Ceux qui parlent dans mon dos sont les mieux placé pour embrasser mon cul..

"

And in English:

"VFR VTEC ABS 2003 Year 50,000 Km

Review Honda.

Option: heater mounted handle Honda.

Previous failure: NO

All rolls times (including in cascading water ..)

Average travel 100Km, Lesser Town, many highway.

Plan engines rarely pushed

Problems of engine cut-off (FI light comes on), rapid deceleration when running, and without acting on the gas, if the engine speed is sufficient, the engine takes in 2 to 5 seconds, its normal travel, the light goes out .

Other Findings:

- The engine cut also at idle (engine cold or hot) when I back the bike, and coincidentally, when I down a sidewalk!

- While driving the engine and cutting back in 2-5 seconds, when I go on a road with holes formed, especially if I go into a pothole marked.

Battery Rest> 12v / In charge 13 to 14 v. => this is not the regulator

Problem occurred after a cleaning cloth and wash thoroughly with plenty of water. Another coincidence!

Hypothesis:

a contact problem.

1) a box incorrectly supplied or disconnected

2) wear a cable

3) The drop sensor

4) The sensor stand

1) => dismantling the two sides, and disconnect all the connectors.

Cleaning all terminals.

Use bomb "3in1 Technique" contact cleaner against oxidation deposits Electrical Electronics

Avoid WD40 (Developed for NASA), as have a little fat but good hunting moisture)

Removing and replacing all the fuses, also under saddle.

Checking battery terminals.

Normal

2) => No apparent wear out sheath.

Normal

3) => Sensor fall into place.

Put bike on the road, get help, and tip the bike.

The engine shuts off.

Normal

3) Sensor crutch.

50000km, the spring in the left side stand has been sought.

The sensor accessible (without dismantling for once ...)

This hypothesis is consistent with the observed set of crutches.

The contact is not to be involved, but the race of the sensor is most likely.

Set this race.

Problem absent during the 100 km already traveled. (Fuc.ing Stand!)

To be continued next update late June 2011, to confirm the resolution or not ....

Procerv

Those who talk behind my back are best placed to kiss my ass ..

"

Bye and good luck

post-23068-0-78248800-1308417478_thumb.j

• 4 years later...

Hi, I had the same problem. I found out that the issue was the yellow connector with green wires only. It's the grounding block probably.
Its contacts were oxidated inside.. This connectror is located next (under) to the left low beam bulb.

DSC_0240.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Archived