Discovered a tank gripster/protector alternative

Beck

Picture111.jpg

Picture112.jpg

Picture110.jpg

They're bumper rub strips made by the Japanese auto/bike accessory comapny "Fizz" that I bought real cheap last X-mas in a trip to Asia.

Found them a bit too short to use on my car, so I had an idea and put them on my tank to protect the paint on it. Little did I know it had a second function of providing grip for my kness on the tank and suddenly I'm steering the bike less with my hands but leaning the whole bike instead. Something I never felt on my 4th gen as it's very narrow at the tank, so there had always been kind of a "disconnect" with the bike. Last two rides with the rubber rub strips on the tank were some of the best I had with my bike as I feel more connected to the bike when I lean it over. If you do get one for your bike, make sure it has a rubbery/tacky feel to it wo it has traction against your pants knee area. The bonus is it also protects the paint on the tank against wear from pants with rougher texture like ones made from heavy duty cordura. It also is an alternative to the clear dimples tank gripster tank covering that does not look that great on some bikes. I ha e another set i can add above the first one to provide more gripping area, but so far, one strip on each side seems enough.

Beck

95 VFR

Edited by Beck

• Member Contributer

Picture111.jpg

Picture112.jpg

Picture110.jpg

They're bumper rub strips made by the Japanese auto/bike accessory comapny "Fizz" that I bought real cheap last X-mas in a trip to Asia.

Found them a bit too short to use on my car, so I had an idea and put them on my tank to protect the paint on it. Little did I know it had a second function of providing grip for my kness on the tank and suddenly I'm steering the bike less with my hands but leaning the whole bike instead. Something I never felt on my 4th gen as it's very narrow at the tank, so there had always been kind of a "disconnect" with the bike. Last two rides with the rubber rub strips on the tank were some of the best I had with my bike as I feel more connected to the bike when I lean it over. If you do get one for your bike, make sure it has a rubbery/tacky feel to it wo it has traction against your pants knee area. The bonus is it also protects the paint on the tank against wear from pants with rougher texture like ones made from heavy duty cordura. It also is an alternative to the clear dimples tank gripster tank covering that does not look that great on some bikes. I ha e another set i can add above the first one to provide more gripping area, but so far, one strip on each side seems enough.

Beck

95 VFR

That bike looks like it just came from the showroom floor!!

• Member Contributer

Damn that bike looks good Beck!

Why don't you ship it over to me and I will pick you up at the airport in Atlanta to ride up to TxMac, c'mon...it'll be fun.

Thanks guys!,

My secret to keeping it looking new for all these year is Lemon Pledge :fing02: on everythng on the bike after each ride. and a clay bar finish cleaning session on the farings and tank every year.

Now the tank bumper strips will alsohelp preserve the paint from scratching and abrading at the tank too, as I suspect it was just a matter of time before I start seeing primer at the knee indents if I did not put these things in.

Beck

95 VFR

Edited by Beck