R&G Frame Sliders - Installation Guide

BonemanVFR

• Member Contributer

I have my RG sliders and looking to do this mod soon. I have to get over the hump of drilling holes into the fairings :sad: . Anyways, from Boneman or anyone who has installed the kit, when you push the RG rod thru from the left, is there a collar - shim or anything that I need to watch out for that might fall out on the right hand side once the OEM bar comes through?

• Member Contributer

I've gone through several sets of Radar's sliders (blush). In every case I have judged that damage would have been worse w/o the sliders. The ultimate result will vary with the situation. They have broken off, bent, or just worn down but served their purpose well. And I've been down at some scary speeds. I went through both right and left sliders at T-mac. (double blush).

what you gonna do now that Radar's no longer available?

I saved his bobbins for locating the hole in the fairing. If I do the RG mod they'd still be very useful.

• Member Contributer

While at a Vintage/Antique mc show I met a machinist who may be willing to reproduce Radar's sliders. I intend to start a thread to guage interest. He said he'd examine the parts I have of Radar's sliders. He may modify or not. If there is sufficient interest he'd make them in batches.

• Member Contributer

While at a Vintage/Antique mc show I met a machinist who may be willing to reproduce Radar's sliders. I intend to start a thread to guage interest. He said he'd examine the parts I have of Radar's sliders. He may modify or not. If there is sufficient interest he'd make them in batches.

Count me in, after seeing Jeremy's.

I have my RG sliders and looking to do this mod soon. I have to get over the hump of drilling holes into the fairings :sad: . Anyways, from Boneman or anyone who has installed the kit, when you push the RG rod thru from the left, is there a collar - shim or anything that I need to watch out for that might fall out on the right hand side once the OEM bar comes through?

I don't remember any collars or shims sitting behind the bolt head of the stock mount bolt. In any case it should not matter as you will remove all of the factory mount bolt and use all new parts that come with the R&G kit. Comes with its own spacers, washers, nuts. Very complete kit, just don't think the rubber hose on the long stud is part of the install, it's not. I belive the only reason it's on there is to prevent any possible dings or buggers to the center section of the stud so that it installs smoothly.

• Member Contributer

Boneman, Thanks for taking the time to post the install guide. This is very helpful and gets me off the fence - yet another mod on the list. Much appreciated.Ernie

• Member Contributer

I don't remember any collars or shims sitting behind the bolt head of the stock mount bolt. In any case it should not matter as you will remove all of the factory mount bolt and use all new parts that come with the R&G kit. Comes with its own spacers, washers, nuts. Very complete kit, just don't think the rubber hose on the long stud is part of the install, it's not. I belive the only reason it's on there is to prevent any possible dings or buggers to the center section of the stud so that it installs smoothly.

Thanks... I thought so, but I wanted to make sure before hand. Now, to find the time and get this done.

Thanks... I thought so, but I wanted to make sure before hand. Now, to find the time and get this done.

same here. I need to find the time and take my sweet time to make those holes on the fairings. :ohmy:

It's not as bad as you may think. I think I spend a good two hours doing my install being extremely careful and not really enjoying cutting holes in my fairings. Once you punch the hole and there's no going back, it's a lot easier to just take your time and do it fitting and filing carefully so as to make just enough hole for the bobbins to fit through.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oisface

Hey Folks i think this my first post up here, I just bought my 91' vfr 750 on Saturday and have been trolling the web for a company who make crash bobbins/mushrooms but so far no luck. R&G do a set for the fourth generation vfr 750 but nothing before that. Does anyone know if the fourth generation sliders will fit on a third generation bike. is there huge differences between the frame, engine mounting bolts, coolant bottle? i know the fairings are different but a hole is a hole so shouldn't mater if it's in a third or fourth gen fairing. my biggest concern would be the distance between the fairing and the frame, as this would affect the spacers put between the frame and the fairing. thanks guys for any help

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

A big THANKS to Mr. Boneman for this excellent write up! THANK YOU SIR!!!

I wanted the R&G frame sliders on the bike but wasn't really looking forward to cutting holes in the fairings but the anxiety level decreases significantly once you drill that first hole and there is no turning back.

I was able to dremel with the farings on the bike but you do have to be careful with the right side faring as there is a hose fairly close to where you have to dremel. Also, it makes things much easier if you have an assistant for pulling back and pushing in the rod during the dremeling process.

As a dremel novice my advice is to use a tungsten carbide bit (99XX bit number) and keep the dremel speed at 5000 rpm and take your time.

• Member Contributer

Does anyone have these on a '98? If so, I'd like to know if these would keep the fairings from making contact with the ground in the event of dropping the bike.