new guy gets to install a stator

Guest Bgrdtrk702

Guest Bgrdtrk702

Just got my 02 vfr800 this past week. Bike is in great condition so i thought. Took her out for her first ride yesterday and she crapped out. So after a nice tow home and plenty of reading and testing i have come to the conclusion that im gunna have to replace the stator. Thanks for all the knowledge that this site has to offer i now feel as if i can do it myself. But only time will tell. Wish me luck..

• Member Contributer

OK, Good Luck!!! :cool:

There are plenty of how-to threads here, makes the job easier

And by the way, Welcome & Congrats on the new bike :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Just got my 02 vfr800 this past week. Bike is in great condition so i thought. Took her out for her first ride yesterday and she crapped out. So after a nice tow home and plenty of reading and testing i have come to the conclusion that im gunna have to replace the stator. Thanks for all the knowledge that this site has to offer i now feel as if i can do it myself. But only time will tell. Wish me luck..

No worries mate, you'll get it done. Just make sure you have a decent impact driver with a torx bit adapter for it to get the old stator out of the cover. It is seriously a bitch to remove unless you have one of these handy. When you put the new stator in, you may find it a pain in the bum to get the stator wires through the V of the engine, so if that's the case just remove the posts from the connector block and just feed the posts and wire through using a pull string, like so:

• Tie piece of string to old stator connector
  • Pull old stator connector through V of engine
  • Unclip posts from new stator connector block
  • Tie new stator wire posts to string (use electrical tape or something similar)
  • Use string to pull stator wires through V of engine
  • Insert stator wire posts into connector block

Lastly, make sure you get the right stator!!!!! You need to measure the outer diameter of your current stator and get the same one, because '03 bikes and newer or any '02 model that went through the stator recall has a larger stator and rotor combination.

If you put a 2002 model stator in a bike with an '03 or recall-model rotor, you well get no charge at low rpms. Conversely, if you put a 2003 or recall-model stator in a bike with a 2002 rotor, it will hit the rotor and rip the magnets off it (if it even fits!) or give you massive voltages and likely burn out your regulator.

Here are the measurements:

Original 2002 stator: 107.5mm/4.24in outer diameter

2003+ (and recall 2002) stator: 114.7mm/4.51in outer diameter.

Awsome. Thanks for the luck and all that info. Should have my new ricks stator by weeks end. Ill grab pics of progress and share. Already got all the plastic taken off. Just waiting on parts.

I have read alot about the r/r failing as well. Since the bike is tko for now is this something i may wanna look into swapping out as well?

• Member Contributer

I have read alot about the r/r failing as well. Since the bike is tko for now is this something i may wanna look into swapping out as well?

No need to unless you know it's dead. You said you isolated the fault to the stator though, but now I'm curious what tests you ran?

No need to unless you know it's dead. You said you isolated the fault to the stator though, but now I'm curious what tests you ran?

I took ac voltage readings across the three legs on the stator an all readings were way low. Dc output from the r/r was only 11.8 volts.

• Member Contributer

I also want to point out that there was a wiring harness recall for 2002-2005 models. Give the VIN number to a dealer and have them check to see if the work was done.

Rollin

I also want to point out that there was a wiring harness recall for 2002-2005 models. Give the VIN number to a dealer and have them check to see if the work was done.

Rollin

Yah i plan on doing that when i get her back up and running. Right now shes just going to sit pretty in the garage.

c56660b3.jpg

All skined ready for some disasemble :)

db04f48f.jpg

Started to unwire and i find this. Awsome. Mental note. Buy VFRness.

3b425913.jpg

After a lil work and a busted knuckle case is open. Stator looks cooked.

363677e1.jpg

Well new stator is on its way and so is the gasket. Ill update as soon as parts arrive.

Side not. Checked out main wire harness and it is the new version after the recall.

Mental note completed. VFRness is ordered.

Do you have the 2003 upgrade rotor and stator, that is critical to know .

as far as i know it is the stock 02..how would i know different?

Mental note completed. VFRness is ordered.

Do you have the 2003 upgrade rotor and stator, that is critical to know .

as far as i know it is the stock 02..how would i know different?

There was a recall on o2's to have 2003 stator and rotor/flywheel upgrade, they are different size parts . If your replacing to an after market match flywheel for the stator , I guess that would work. But if you already have the 2003 Flywheel, No need to replace, just get an 2003-2009 stator.

Its supposed to be marked on the serialized plate, but I cant recall where the punch is, or you might be able to check the vin through dealer.

Marking on the stator.

12cy

Markins on fly.

12cz 037000-5371 N LMX35

And thats all i see. Does that mean n e thing to you. The guy i got the bike from isnt the original owner so who knows what they dis before he got it.

• Member Contributer

Marking on the stator.

12cy

Markins on fly.

12cz 037000-5371 N LMX35

And thats all i see. Does that mean n e thing to you. The guy i got the bike from isnt the original owner so who knows what they dis before he got it.

Hellooooo!! I posted this in my first response in the thread!

• Member Contributer

363677e1.jpg

First up, that stator looks fine. It's brown on one side because that side is not in the oil and does not get cooled by the oil. It can still be stuffed of course - but don't judge it by it's colour unless it's seriously black.

Secondly, what were the AC voltages you were seeing? You said they were low, but were they all the same? What rpms did you measure them at?

Marking on the stator.

12cy

Markins on fly.

12cz 037000-5371 N LMX35

Hellooooo!! I posted this in my first response in the thread!

Oh man. I forgot about you posting that. Sweet. That info will help when i get home. Im not sure what the ac volts were of the top of my head. But they were ran by the honda tech at my local shop and he said it was failed for sure.

When it died, did you go through the routine about measuring the output of the regulator at the battery before you dug in.

It is pretty hard to measure the voltage coming through a burned up connector. The fact that the alternator had the gumption to burn up your connector makes me think that it is fine. Cut the connector off measure the voltage again. One thing confounding the voltage between the leads is that they are alternating currents that are 120deg out of phase from each other. I measured mine from each wire to ground and got 26 volts AC using a high impedence DVM at 3000 rpm.

When it died, did you go through the routine about measuring the output of the regulator at the battery before you dug in.

It is pretty hard to measure the voltage coming through a burned up connector. The fact that the alternator had the gumption to burn up your connector makes me think that it is fine. Cut the connector off measure the voltage again. One thing confounding the voltage between the leads is that they are alternating currents that are 120deg out of phase from each other. I measured mine from each wire to ground and got 26 volts AC using a high impedence DVM at 3000 rpm.

Yah i checked across two legs and then also leg to ground. Found one that had very lil output. That is what lead me to start the teardown.

Since you are doing the stator, that is probably ther biggest job compared to a the R/R and battery. You may as well replace those as well. A lifetime battery at Cycle Gear is about $80, and a GSXR R/R off ebay can be found for as cheap as $15. Then just make sure all the wiring is solid, and you should be good for quite a while.

Paul in SoCal

• Member Contributer

Yah i checked across two legs and then also leg to ground. Found one that had very lil output. That is what lead me to start the teardown.

Ah so one of the phases was a lot lower voltage than the others? In that case, yeah the stator is definitely stuffed.

Still waiting on parts to get here. My VFRness did show up today. Got that all installed. It took a lil bit to figure out how exactly to route it but fits well once in place. Stator and gasket shold be here monday so hopefull i can have her all better by the weekend.

Wll i ended up having to swap out the flywheel. See how i had the pre-recal stator. Got it all back together last night and checked all my voltages. Everything is looking great. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Jon.

Archived