A different wheel option

Guest Hyofighter

Guest Hyofighter

hiya ,some of you may have seen my build thread in which i have done a wheel swap , it may not suit all but i thought id share as a few have done the fork swap , originally i wanted to go for the car wheel option as it would look awesome but i wanted the bike to track straight and having a 6' or a 7" wheel with a fat tyre as close to the swinger as possible it wasnt going to do it , i know it may have been out by 5 or 10 mm but i wanted it straight , tried to source a 5.5" wheel and even considered machining one but $$$$ so what other options are out there , what about cb1000r , so i looked and found a front and a rear and a new back tyre to boot for $700 honda want $1800 for a new back wheel alone

so the process , more detailed in the build thread

the wheels

1287586003.jpg[br]

the cb wheel doesnt have the recesses for the disk bolts but i dont think this will bother vfr800s and the offset is perfect and its a 5.5" wheel

wheels.jpg

so i machined the tops off socket headed bolts and fitted them to the shallow recess in the hub this allowed for the wheel to sit flush to the hub

allens.jpg

once fitted with the 180 tyre its close to the standard chain guard but has plenty of clearance to the swinger

clear.jpg

and there ya go , nice

fitted.jpg

the front wasnt so easy , cbr 929 forks and wheel , bigger axle than the cb wheel and slightly bigger bearings

cbr929.jpg

the cbr disks are bigger but the mounting and offset are the same

IMAG0199.jpg

cb axle bearing spacer is narrower and the bearings outer dia is only 2mm smaller

IMAG0201.jpg

so i had the centre of the hub machined out the 2mm and there is heaps of meat in there so i wasnt worried

IMG_5662.jpg

then had the spacer tube narrowed new outer spacers made wider to make the difference up and new seals

IMG_5663.jpg

so all that was left was to slide the axle in , do her up and stand back and admire

IMG_5668.jpg

IMG_5667.jpg

all up for machining , new bearings , seals was around $160

hope this helps some

• Member Contributer

Very nice work.

Not being too familiar with machining process, how do you machine the insides of the hub? Is the wheel installed into the spindle of the lathe or is the wheel staionery and cutter spins inside? Or are you using Dremel? :comp13:

Not a fan of the CB1000 "swirly whirly" design wheel, but I guess it's at least another wheel option for the 4th gen that will work as the original 4th gen wheel isn't that much of a beauty either.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Very cool! I'm a fan of the CB wheel, but I figured it would have fit straight away.

It depends on which forks/axle you're using with it. Many other parts combinations would probably work with just a bearing swap.

Ciao,

Guest Hyofighter

Very nice work.

Not being too familiar with machining process, how do you machine the insides of the hub? Is the wheel installed into the spindle of the lathe or is the wheel staionery and cutter spins inside? Or are you using Dremel? :comp13:

Hey rice , the wheel was mounted to a lathe to make sure it was perfect and stayed true , dremel ouch you hurt my feelings haha

• Member Contributer

Nice work. So I think you get the first "swirly 4-spoke mounted to a VFR" award? I was wondering when someone would go that route, would like to see pics of it finished. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Very cool, excellent write up.

I am a fan of the cartoonish rear wheel and think a street fighter is the perfect application for it. Like Kevin, I would have thought the rear would fit without modification.

I am fan of what you are doing wiith this, I love the little hidden details like the brass knuckle heel gaurd on the rear sets...kinda screams street fighter!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hyofighter

Very cool, excellent write up.

I am a fan of the cartoonish rear wheel and think a street fighter is the perfect application for it. Like Kevin, I would have thought the rear would fit without modification.

I am fan of what you are doing wiith this, I love the little hidden details like the brass knuckle heel gaurd on the rear sets...kinda screams street fighter!

cheers cornercarver , roller out of the shed today to take some happy snaps with her clothes on , still plenty of work to do yet

1.jpg

2.jpg