Rear Wheel Conversion (Car Wheel)

Guest BigCarl

• Member Contributer

Darwin award candidate if you ask me.

Got to admit, that does look kind of scary to me too. I, for one, would have to give a tire/wheel combination like that a pass, even on my car. :smile:

the tire is seated, its just too skinny, aka putting a 150 on the stock rim.

Yeah, it is quite common on those fast and furious wanabee racers :biggrin: I think it looks funny.

if you look at a car tire/ rim vs a motorcycle tire/ rim there 2 different designs

:+1:

There are actually quite a few bead en hump designs. Here is a page that has some more in depth information.

What I need though... is someone dodgy, willing to go a little further than the normal safety limits allow,

Heated tires can blow out at less than double the max rated pressure. Granted, you do not heat them before installation, but tripling the pressure is recipe for disaster.

http://www.kentool.com/demos/cage_demo.mpg

• Member Contributer

Darwin award candidate if you ask me.

thanks Kel for comparing me to a squid :angry: .... o wait why don't you nominate yourself and every other motorcycle rider while your at it

I never said squid and when I, and every other motorcycle rider leaves the driveway with a tire looking like that...I will.

The Darwin reference comes when glaring red flags are waving for all to see yet they are ignored. Call me crazy but I just don't see how that remotely seemed alright with you. Whether you like the car rim thing or not, it's clear that some people have done it and ALL the pics I've seen show the tire at least looking like it's on there.

When things look wrong...they usually are. I've lived long and prospered by that rule. My 2 cents.

Edited by Kel

Uhmmmm...why go so uber wide with the tire/wheel anyway? Couldn't you find a narrower car rim with simialr nicer styling than stock instead and avoid all the possibly dangerous, out of bounds wheel/tire dark side engineering you guys are doing?? I thought only Hardley guys did that with the gumball tire/uber wide wheel stuff they do their their choppers anyway....

I'd bet that despite the awesome looks you are getting with those super wide tires and wheels, they will never handle as well or as safe as VFRs with stock width tires/wheels.......Then it's just a "poseur's" mod at best...

Beck

95 VFR

Edited by Beck

Uhmmmm...why go so uber wide with the tire/wheel anyway? Couldn't you find a narrower car rim with simialr nicer styling than stock instead and avoid all the possibly dangerous, out of bounds wheel/tire dark side engineering you guys are doing?? I thought only Hardley guys did that with the gumball tire/uber wide wheel stuff they do their their choppers anyway....

I'd bet that despite the awesome looks you are getting with those super wide tires and wheels, they will never handle as well or as safe as VFRs with stock width tires/wheels.......Then it's just a "poseur's" mod at best...

Beck

95 VFR

reason that i i did go with a thinner rim is because like ive said before the only other rim manufacturer that makes that thin of rims is Work, and they cost 500+ per rim (and atm i can not do that) soo i had to go w/ a 17x7 and not a 17x5 (17x6/ 6.5 they dont make them for aftermarket cars, only trucks and stock car rims).

yes i did make a mistake by going with a 190 on my rim BUT pirelli doesnt make a 200+ in the angel st and i thought i could get away with it (unless you want to buy the tire off me then STFU), my next tire will be a 210/220 to make it look better on the bead

Is this all purely for asthetics or is there a performace/handling/economy reason for this?

this mod is mostly for aesthetics, there is no performance gain for this mod EXCEPT if you get a lighter rim (which there are but not one that i liked), handling wise it does help with in town traffic (low speed maneuvers) which i do most of the time, and economy: not really unless you go with the light rim

• Member Contributer

Several folks have mentioned it already but the beads and contours are different on a car rim. I just recently waded through pages of threads on car tires on goldwing rims and the legality of it (let alone the merit). The Darksiders persist.

Here is a very recent release from the RMA on the subject.....mostly about car tires on MC rims but the point is the same.....wrong type tire on rim.

RMA REVISES ITS BULLETIN ON MOTORCYCLE RIMS

TISB Vol. 28

WASHINGTON, D.C., July 6, 2012 - The Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) recently revised its Tire Information Service Bulletin (TISB) Volume 28, “Never Mount Passenger Car Tires on Motorcycle Rims Fitted to Motorcycles or Sidecars.”

The recently revised bulletin cautions against installing passenger tires on motorcycle rims. It explains that motorcycle tires and corresponding motorcycle rims are designed with a bead seat diameter and flange contour that are different than passenger car tires/rims, therefore any attempt to mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim may cause inflation pressure loss or the beads to break with explosive force. The result could be serious injury or death.

“Not every tire is meant for any rim,” said Charles Cannon, RMA president and CEO. “Caution needs to be taken to ensure motorcycle tires are mounted on motorcycle rims only,” he continued.

For a copy of the newly revised TISB Volume 28, Number 3, and other service bulletins, visit RMA’s website at www.rma.org.

The Rubber Manufacturers Association is the national trade association for tire manufacturers that make tires in the U.S.

As somebody else relayed "Be careful out there"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

That is music to my ears! Thank you! I will be proceeding with this very soon. I need to post up my entire build again, as I hadn't posted it here in a while. As soon as I'm done with my handmade fiberglass tail I'll be starting the rear wheel conversion.

Guest emanonsc2

Beck

95 VFR

I love how people that have never done this conversion to there bike or ridden on one always say "that's not going to handle well at all" I've been riding for about 5 years now and have ridden sport bikes, cruisers, and sport touring, I've had this conversion done for almost 3 months now and i dd the bike 5 days a week and i can still scrape pegs and do every thing i normally did with the stock rim. I do admit that my tire looks nothing like the one on reapers, mine sits all the way flush with the rim, but i also went with the 200 series.

Beck

95 VFR

I love how people that have never done this conversion to there bike or ridden on one always say "that's not going to handle well at all" I've been riding for about 5 years now and have ridden sport bikes, cruisers, and sport touring, I've had this conversion done for almost 3 months now and i dd the bike 5 days a week and i can still scrape pegs and do every thing i normally did with the stock rim. I do admit that my tire looks nothing like the one on reapers, mine sits all the way flush with the rim, but i also went with the 200 series.

Uhuh....I've been riding motorcycles since I was in gradeschool and have experienced crap handling that resulted in too wide a tire on my bikes. Even the slightly overwide Dunlops 207s (they manufactured them a bit too wide in error) I had crap handling from the moment I put them on that made the bike a handful in the twisties because of the misshapen (too steep) sidewalls that resulted in with my 5.0" rims. It's a pinched tire profile that caused the problems in my case, An overstretched tire with sidewalls going horizontal will surely have its own issues not to mention the safety issues that crop up. It does not take rocket science to know that putting those stretched out tires (which the tire manufacturers never meant them to be) on those over-wide and heavy rims will never be as good in handling as the original design that Honda put in for the bike.....I still say this is just and aesthetic mod at best and the handling will be crap. At the least, those super wide and heavy rims and tires will most likely have your bike understeering like nuts........It's "Chopper science" you are doing at best..... I always say that if these gumballs give the best handling on bikes, then why don't the GP teams do the same on their bikes.

Beck

95 VFR

Edited by Beck

• Member Contributer

Wimps, all a ye. What you need, clearly, is a rear tire on the front to match the "phat" rear tire on the...er, rear. Surely the forks could be widened with some 6061 sheet and steel strapping tape from Home Depot? :happy:

PhotoID14285.jpg

Ciao,

• 2 weeks later...

To each his own beck. I think people are allowed to do what they want with their money per specific taste. Your idea of good handling and another riders idea of good handling are in most scenarios, not the same. I am sure the wide wheel and tire does not handle as well as a gp setup....but then again, the vfr is not a gp bike is it.... If you feel the need to warn people due to safety, then I'm all behind you. But seeing the amount of successful car wheel conversions leads me to believe that there is a correct and somewhat acceptable way of doing the modification. I understand where you're coming from broha, but you're tone is not the most inviting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Uhmmmm...why go so uber wide with the tire/wheel anyway?

I've had this conversion done for almost 3 months now and i dd the bike 5 days a week and i can still scrape pegs and do every thing i normally did with the stock rim.

@Beck - To me it would have to be for the looks of the new wheel. I've been riding since the mid-70's and much of that was on modded Yamaha RDs that were FANTASTIC handling bikes with the right tires. I always went wider with both front and rear wheels and tires and it worked out great (with other mods). One key for good handling to have a balance between the front and rear, and I think that going wider like this on the VFR rear is not balanced (of course there are MANY other factors to good handling). Anyone who modifies their bikes learns that there is often compromise involved, and it becomes a question of what you want to live with. If you know your bike and are comfortable with the compromises you've made... I have no problem with that unless it is unsafe... An unsafe mod can hurt or kill others, not just the rider.

@emanonsc2 - I'm all for modding bikes and making it the way you want it (safely). You seem to be comfortable with your setup, but I must say that in my opinion scraping your pegs is not the measure of good handling. I've been able to grind pegs on almost every streetbike I've had, and some of those handled like crap.

I have yet to lose grip with the stock wheel/tire size on my 6th gen, even in the most agressive riding (ok, yes pegs and knee pucks dragging lol). I'm pretty impressed with the setup of my VFR considering how heavy it is. What hurts my speeds the most is the lack of power and excessive weight, not grip. I can easily ride my VFR upto about 8 to 9/10ths of it's capabilities whereas the BMW S1000rr that I rode scared the crap out of me until I was comfortable with it. Even then I was probably using 5 or 6/10ths of it.

If your mod is safe, enjoy it...

To each his own beck. I think people are allowed to do what they want with their money per specific taste. Your idea of good handling and another riders idea of good handling are in most scenarios, not the same.

I have to agree. Beck used the 170 D207 as an example of a wider tyre upsetting his handling, well I ran exactly the same tyre/rim combo and loved it to bits. No problems with 9/10ths cornering (on a private track under controlled conditions etc. etc. etc.) and the only downside for me was that both front and rear were toast after barely 5,000km. I did run a 160 D207 as well and it did handle better, but I certainly had no problem with handling with the oversize rubber.

So to state that wider rubber will ruin your handling is categorically impossible, giving the variations in set-up and rider preference out there. Also need to consider that the VFR is a very forgiving bike and you can really screw things up a lot and still be able to ride it with a high degree of comfort and confidence.

I agree with the comments regarding the way the bead is seated and the importance of it being correct, but I won't comment on the pics shown because how can you make a judgement based on pictures? It could be that the bead is seated perfectly safely in the example(s) shown.

Also note that in the history of world super bike racing, some teammates on identical bikes would run a wider resr tire or a wider rear rim than they'd teammate, due to preference.

6.0 rim, 6.25 rim, 180 tire, 190 tire, dependent on the track, conditions, and rider preference.

Having said that, nobody in Wsbk ever ran a 7" rim with a 240 tire. Ever!!!

• 7 months later...

7 inch rim is way too wide for a 190.

ZX-12R came with a 200 series rear tire, and only a 6" wide rim.

You could probably stretch the tire onto the rim, but the profile would be horribly flattened, and the handling would definetly suffer.

The stock "rubber to rim" ratio on a VFR is about 1.29:1, meaning the tire is about 1.29 times wider than the rated rim width. (180mm tire/5.5" rim)

So to keep close with that, you'd need about a 230 width rear tire to fit on a 7" rim. Don't know how you'd get that much meat to sit inside the swingarm without rubbing, or offsetting the whole tire/rim to the right using a spacer, off the centerline of the bike.

hmmm yeah I got you. I just got lucky and found 2 17x7 civic rims for 25$ in good enough condition I was thinking about buying purely for looks though. I guess I could have the rim shortened down though huh. If I can stay under 100$ to have the rim made into a 17x6 Id be happy

Worth at least getting some prices on it. Narrowing an alloy rim is most certainly do-able, just make sure that whoever does it has a good track record with these things.

A three-piece rim would make such a project much easier, and they look good too. Here's an Australian-made wheel (Simmons) which would look great on a Viffer - this rim is a 15" but you get the idea:

IMG_4735.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm running 190 on a 7 inch rim - I dont se any " flattened" shape

I'm not an expert driver but have been to trackdays a couple of times - and yes it's easier to use the thread all to the edge - but when running in the traffic I don't feel any change

My rim is a look a like split

post-5137-0-77443000-1371844026.jpg