Rear Wheel Conversion (Car Wheel)

Guest BigCarl

• Member Contributer

hey dragon your not the only one thats fail now, i tried mounting mine on a Konig lace (17x7) and it wont seat. im going to try a few more shops before i i give up.

Use dish soap...and a lot of it. It should seat with 80 psi or so. Getting the tire warm also helps.

got the tire beaded :woohoo: i did 4:1 dish soap mix, took the tire off, lathered the rim and tire up (kinda hard getting the tire back on w/ the soap :pissed: ) when it hit 30 psi it was starting to fold back in, at about 70-75 BANG top bead seated and scared the shit out of me, few sec later a second bang and done.

about a block away from my house i almost low sided because i forgot to remove the tag :goofy:

post-19931-0-41363200-1345499504.jpg

• Member Contributer

OK Dragon, you are next!!!!

Listen to uncle Cruz!

And if all the members on VFRD cross their fingers NOW,

the good vibrations will reach Down Under.....

:tour:

I would be having a go at this almost daily if I had my own compressor... but alas I don't, nor my own car and I feel bad asking my housemate to drive me across town repeatedly for what has so far provided no results.

I can say that the last place I was at let it soak in all different kinds of lubricant for hours in the sun and put 130psi (compressor maxxed out and wouldn't go any higher).

What I need though... is someone dodgy, willing to go a little further than the normal safety limits allow, but without being personally referred I don't know where to go. Everywhere I've been so far, the guys have been more than willing to try and rather hopeful while their boss always got shitty and tried to push me out the door saying I'm stupid for even trying.

• Member Contributer

yeah, quit while you're ahead......

(well you are in fact running behind, but you know what I mean)

here are some more pics.

after putting on the tire and running it for a day ive found some good and bad things from my experience.

Good: looks really nice on the bike, speedo runs a little faster (cause i put on a 190/55), turns sharper cause of the tire, and better front end feel

Bad: cant get the rear tire in the air on the center stand (going to get a pit bull stand, was thinking about getting one anyway), rubbing on the center stand when its up (can see from the pic), shorter bearing life (cause of the add rim weigh and offset)

then there are some things that im planning on do:

do an under tail exhaust like the cbr 600 (or if anyone on the forums can make a high mount pipe for an erion exhaust ill buy it)

take about 3-4mm off the spacer for the wheel

maybe put a 200 or 210/50 or 45 on next cause of how the tire is sitting on the rim

post-19931-0-19434000-1345553555.jpg

post-19931-0-64332200-1345553562.jpg

post-19931-0-50922400-1345553578.jpg

post-19931-0-51211800-1345553585.jpg

post-19931-0-87446200-1345553612.jpg

Edited by reaper7767

Yeah, you gotta do something about that center stand.

Either take it off and leave it off, or remove it, and heat the leg, and bend it slightly outboard, then paint it and reinstall.

As far as gearing is concerned, a 200/50 would be practically identical. 0.3% higher. And it would fit on the wider rim better than the current 190 you have.

• Member Contributer

then there are some things that im planning on do:

do an under tail exhaust like the cbr 600 (or if anyone on the forums can make a high mount pipe for an erion exhaust ill buy it)

Not cheap, but Dan Dreisbach made me an underseat exhaust using an Erion full system. Unlike the TBR, though, he did have to cut about 50mm off the output to get a better angle for the link-pipe, so this is a one-way mod. See my build thread for pics.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

If anyone else has a bent to do the car wheel swap, you don't have to use a 17x7 wheel.

They can be had in 17x6.5, 17x6, and 17x5.5

http://www.workwheel...ory=23&wheel=47

http://www.workwheel...rt SC2 Spec.pdf

54.jpg

46.jpg

Did I miss something? These all appear to be 5 lug wheels.

Yep, you did miss something. They are available in a 4x100 bolt pattern in those diameters and widths stated above, the pictures are just generic examples of what those wheels look like.

They just "happened" to photograph the 5 bolt version.

Clicken sie linken and read the .pdf, it has all the 411

that tire isnt even seated on the rim dont you consider that dangerous?

it's truly an insane bodge. As a long time and die hard VFR lover it's pretty hard to look at. it may be seated on the rim but the tire bead is completely incomparable with the rim. This bike would be far safer running a square car tire, and that would solve your center stand issue.

The current tire sidewall is stretched to within millimeter of it's life, it's virtually parallel with the rim. The tire tread is actually starting to get a reverse curve to it at the edge.

This configuration can not possibly be roadworthy or road legal

Edited by Tamworth

the tire is seated, its just too skinny, aka putting a 150 on the stock rim.

If anyone else has a bent to do the car wheel swap, you don't have to use a 17x7 wheel.

They can be had in 17x6.5, 17x6, and 17x5.5

http://www.workwheel...ory=23&wheel=47

http://www.workwheel...rt SC2 Spec.pdf

54.jpg

46.jpg

work does make those in a 4x100 lug, BUT the reason that nobody have fitted these yet is they cost $550+ per rim where as the rims that we have been using are $100-$160. plus you would still need a spacer for the work rims too cause the closes offset is 26mm where as the stock vfr rim is 19mm and you would still have the same issue with mounting the tire cause its a car rim and not a motorcycle rim

work vs other vs stock

cost 550 vs 150 (avg) vs 0

offset(mm) 26-32 vs 40-46 vs 19

spacer(mm) 7-13 vs 21-27 vs 0

rim width 5.5 vs 7 vs 5.5

lug all 4x100

like other ppl have said its NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to find a 17x5.5 car rim (very limited on what you can get) and if you do (like the work rims) you'll be putting out 500-600 for one rim (which ppl really cringe at) where as if you get a 17x7 rim you have a MASS variety on what you can get, and get what style you want too

it's truly an insane bodge. As a long time and die hard VFR lover it's pretty hard to look at. it may be seated on the rim but the tire bead is completely incomparable with the rim. This bike would be far safer running a square car tire, and that would solve your center stand issue.

The current tire sidewall is stretched to within millimeter of it's life, it's virtually parallel with the rim. The tire tread is actually starting to get a reverse curve to it at the edge.

This configuration can not possibly be roadworthy or road legal

the reason that mounting a motorcycle tire on a car rim is hard is because the motorcycle rims are a true 17" where as car rims are 17 1/16"- 17 1/8"

as for the seating of the bead, that also differs too, car rims are mostly seated/ sealed from the outside of the bead (thats why you hear of tires de-beading themself at high spped turns) where as motorcycle tires seal from bottom of the bead, if you look at a car tire/ rim vs a motorcycle tire/ rim there 2 different designs but there close enuff that you and inter change them like a goldwing/ cruiser using a car tire on a motorcycle rim or vice versa w/ SSSA bikes using car rims w/ motorcycle tires

Edited by reaper7767

• Member Contributer

Yep, you did miss something. They are available in a 4x100 bolt pattern in those diameters and widths stated above, the pictures are just generic examples of what those wheels look like.

They just "happened" to photograph the 5 bolt version.

Clicken sie linken and read the .pdf, it has all the 411

Yep, page 2 of the PDF. I opened it earlier but didn't see the second page.

Cheers!